Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

34 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

And the percentage of poor people is increasing, should we ignore that?  Why is it happening?

A big reason is people not planning. Buy buy buy when the going is good. Let's face it, if you get a mortgage at 2% you should have the intelligence to know interest rates can only go up.

Prior to the pandemic things were good. Is it the government's fault people over stretched themselves so much they are now struggling? I've lost count of how many new "21, 22" cars I see on the roads. How many were cash purchases? Likely less than 5%. Queues of people in phone shops. An acquaintance of mine never stops complaining yet he pays over £200 a month for phone and TV. 

The fact the government helps out so much means people lose their sense of priorities.

34 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Who has been in charge for the last 12 years?

Starmer and Rayner keep saying they have the answer. I hope they do. However, they don't ever show us how they are going to pull the rabbit out if the hat or how they will pay for it.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

10 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Don't want to repeat myself but see the reply I just posted to another comment. Seeing people in a supermarket does not mean poverty and hunger don't exist - it is a ridiculous argument to make.

And that song has not been number 1 for five years. Singles by the same artists have been. And why do you think that is so? Because it is for the Trussell Trust, a charity that aims to stop UK hunger, and people buy the singles to help. Why is that necessary in a G7 nation? Since when did we need charity singles to help the UK's hunger crisis? 

It Christmas time and people like to give to charity and they do that buy buying the single and they choose a different song to parody every year , previous song being "We built this city on sausage rolls"

40 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

And the percentage of poor people is increasing, should we ignore that?  Why is it happening? I know you are not a fan of answering questions, you prefer deflecting, but why is poverty increasing in the UK at such a dramatic rate? Why do so many people rely on Food Banks?

Surrounding myself in misery by asking questions about why so many people are struggling? Should we not do that?

Then again, many people are complaining that they cannot book a table at a restaurant because they are fully booked .

Speaking to a neighbour yesterday , single mother of four , complaining about the cost of Christmas , often see her outside having a cigarette , smokes 20 cigarettes a day  which costs 3600 Pound per year . I got a sharp look when I pointed out that if she stopped smoking now , she would have 3600 Quid for next Christmas , like 150 000 Baht a year in cigarettes 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Which does not address the issue of poverty and hunger in the UK.

Rather you deflect with anything other than discussion of the underlying issue of poverty and hunger.

There is hunger and poverty in many countries.

With over 1 million jobs available in UK, those that have jobs being offered extra hours if they want them, there are less excuses for being in poverty in UK.

I would love to see those complaining trying to live in a place like NE Thailand or in the slums of Klong Teoy. Don't go to work or work when you want =,no money, no outside help, no food. They wouldn't last a morning. 

When comparing the haves with have nots around our world, the population of UK does very well.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Then again, many people are complaining that they cannot book a table at a restaurant because they are fully booked .

Speaking to a neighbour yesterday , single mother of four , complaining about the cost of Christmas , often see her outside having a cigarette , smokes 20 cigarettes a day  which costs 3600 Pound per year . I got a sharp look when I pointed out that if she stopped smoking now , she would have 3600 Quid for next Christmas , like 150 000 Baht a year in cigarettes 

How much is her phone, internet and TV contract? That's likely another 2k a year.

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't see why that matters if the SNP now wants to ask the Scottish people if they want to vote to be independant country.

My son-iinlaw is Scottish and reckons it would be a 'NO'.

he's your son in law, wants to please you, what else could have he said 555

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Yeah right…

Do you not realise how ludicrous that post is?

People were shopping and there were long queues so there is no poverty?

People are shopping so they can’t be in financial difficulties?

Absolute complete utter nonsense. 

Are you in UK. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Which does not address the issue of poverty and hunger in the UK.

Rather you deflect with anything other than discussion of the underlying issue of poverty and hunger.

Lots of bridges over the Thames have had communities there since ww2 pop along sometime.

39 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

And given that income distribution in the UK is so equitable, that's a very convincing observation. Oh wait a minute.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

And given that income distribution in the UK is so equitable, that's a very convincing observation. Oh wait a minute...

Regardless of income distribution, if you are spending too much it's time to cut down on non essentials.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Personal anecdotes are always so convincing. And so convenient.

I do hope that you aren't  doubting my post and making the suggestion that I am lying ?

I also didn't mention the car/minibus she has to get around with , although she does work part time and the kids father probably makes a financial contribution 

Speaking of supermarkets being busy , there are usually minimal queues at the check-out and yesterday there were about 20-30 people all queuing up at each check-out with trolleys full of food , probably two weeks worth of food.................and the supermarket closes for 38 hours over Christmas , closed for 38 hours from Christmas eve to Boxing day morning .

I have no idea why people need to buy so much food when the shops don't close for any length of time 

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Median  income in the UK in terms of purchasing power has declined 18% since the Tories took over. What's that got to do with media bias.

I guess it all depends what you read.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/householddisposableincomeandinequality/financialyearending2021

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I do hope that you aren't  doubting my post and making the suggestion that I am lying ?

I also didn't mention the car/minibus she has to get around with , although she does work part time and the kids father probably makes a financial contribution 

I have no idea whether the personal evidence you offer is valid or not. And no way of evaluating if it's so.. Once again, you try to make things personal. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It is true . 

Please do not make the suggestion that I am lying 

You keep on fishing to make it personal. But if you think I am trolling, tell the mods. I am agnostic about what everyone reports on a personal basis as regards controversial issues.. When it comes to how to tile a bathroom, that's a different matter.

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You keep on fishing to make it personal. But if you think I am trolling, tell the mods. I am agnostic about what everyone reports on a personal basis as regards controversial issues.. When it comes to how to tile a bathroom, that's a different matter.

Well could you do me a favour and keep it to yourself as it gets rather annoying when there's always one person who says "I don't believe you" , usually from the same kind of people who say "You're a racist" and every available opportunity 

• Like 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well could you do me a favour and keep it to yourself as it gets rather annoying when there's always one person who says "I don't believe you" , usually from the same kind of people who say "You're a racist" and every available opportunity 

What I'm saying is that since there's no way to prove what you claim, your evidence is irrelevant. And even if what you claim as your personal experience could be proved, it would still be irrelevant. It's a shame that how valid data is amassed and evaluated isn't more widely known.

• Like 1