Democrats maintain control of U.S. Senate, NBC News projects, defeating many Trump-backed Republicans

onthedarkside

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Is it just possible that huge numbers of Americans are finally coming to their senses?

The races were too tight to make such a claim.  Factor in margin of error and you'll see many of the races near equal. 

Earlier this year, a Brookings Institution report worried that US democracy was “failing”, and that in doing so it was, God forbid, putting capitalism at risk. The solution, according to the report’s authors, was for US corporate capitalist heavyweights to intervene even more heavily in politics, ie to do more of what made the US an undemocratic corporate plutocracy in the first place.

But since US democracy was designed to be undemocratic, is it not also succeeding in its failure?

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2022/11/9/has-us-democracy-failed-for-good

Edited by ozimoron

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

There's been a lot of speculation from liberal Dems about what might have been if they had chosen a charismatic leader. It says a lot when an unpopular leader still produces a good result in difficult economic times and against historical trends. The Trump toxicity is the single reason that the right wing extremists fared particularly poorly.

I also think the GOP never should have messed with abortion. IMO that sank them.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And it's going to continue to hurt them as long as the Supreme Court is dominated by extreme right wing justices.

Well, the Court has swung right and will be that way for the next 10-20 years at least.  The problem in the election was that, as usual, too many GOP candidates tried free-lancing their answers about abortion rather than staying on message.  "The Supreme Court has made its decision, it is now up to the states to decide. I won't interfere in that process" was all they needed to say. 

Too many state legislatures jumped the gun and started crafting unrealistic bills as well.  I don't really blame pro choice people for feeling uneasy about it.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Well, the Court has swung right and will be that way for the next 10-20 years at least.  The problem in the election was that, as usual, too many GOP candidates tried free-lancing their answers about abortion rather than staying on message.  "The Supreme Court has made its decision, it is now up to the states to decide. I won't interfere in that process" was all they needed to say. 

Too many state legislatures jumped the gun and started crafting unrealistic bills as well.  I don't really blame pro choice people for feeling uneasy about it.  

Well it's good to know that you have access to the medical records of all the supreme Court justices and know how their health will fare in the next several years. Me, I'm not so sure. And I don't think that it's remote possibility that if a republican gets elected president one or more right wing justices would retire just to ensure continue dominance. But maybe you know better.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I also think the GOP never should have messed with abortion. IMO that sank them.

That and the general conspiracy theory BS. I think many factors played a part and one of them might have been concern about right wing equivocation about supplying arms to Ukraine. The need to do something about gun laws would have been another.

• Like 2

Biden, "Democracy is at stake"

The people listened and made their vote. Thank God for the sensible who voted for democracy and especially for the younger voters who came out to help the process. Meanwhile MAGA are left to lick their wounds and blame themselves and what they should have done instead. Of course the same old election stolen will again crop up, tedious but like the flat earthers, now time to just ignore them and get the country running again.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Biden, "Democracy is at stake"

The people listened and made their vote. Thank God for the sensible who voted for democracy and especially for the younger voters who came out to help the process. Meanwhile MAGA are left to lick their wounds and blame themselves and what they should have done instead. Of course the same old election stolen will again crop up, tedious but like the flat earthers, now time to just ignore them and get the country running again.

As a young person getting 10K for a possible bad decision I know who I'd vote for.

The fact that many young people were motivated to vote would have been a big factor in this election because they normally don't vote so much. That would imply that climate change was a significant factor. There's not many other factors which would explain the high turnout among younger voters.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Your not a young person and certainly not a female young person voting for their rights so forgive me for ignoring your remark

OK, You're saying that a paid for Cancun vacation  wasn't an incentive for many young people.

IMHO youth portion of the electorate turned up with concerns for climate change and abortion rights. Millennium was concerned with guns control issues and political integrity while the older voters concerns were for the depolarization of society and the erosion of democracy. I am simply proud of American voters who understand the importance of this midterm election and prevented the county falling into an abyss. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

OK, You're saying that a paid for Cancun vacation  wasn't an incentive for many young people.

Thats you saying that not me. Young people are old enough to get married, join the military and fight for their country, they are also old enough to make choices for their rights by voting.

While final figures are still pouring in, it is estimated that 27% of young voters aged 18-29 cast a ballot in 2022, making this the midterm election with the second highest youth voter turnout in almost three decades, after 2018.

Support for Democrats was even higher among Black youth at 89% and Latino youth at 68%.

Youth Voter Turnout in the 2022 Midterms Delivered Key Wins for Democrats

An initial look at youth voting patterns shared by the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement at Tufts (CIRCLE) shows that young Americans ages 18-29 overwhelmingly backed Democrats for the U.S. House of Representatives. CIRCLE’s analysis of the Edison Research National Election Pool exit poll found that 63% of young Americans voted for a Democratic candidate for the U.S. House, while 35% of young Americans backed Republican candidates.

With the threat of a national abortion ban on the horizon to far-right candidates promoting climate change denial and threatening to reject election results, according to organizers, there was an overwhelming understanding this cycle of “the stakes of the moment,” said Sunrise Movement’s 25-year-old national spokesperson Ellen Sciales.

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/youth-voter-turnout-2022-midterms-democrats

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Links to the stories proving 10k was given for votes please.....

So it's wrong to say people vote with their pocket books? I'm all about that, slip an extra 10K in my account and you got my vote.

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So it's wrong to say people vote with their pocket books? I'm all about that, slip an extra 10K in my account and you got my vote.

So who gave them 10k to vote, please don't post misinformation if you can not provide a verifiable link.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You said:

17 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So where's the link?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So who gave them 10k to vote, please don't post misinformation if you can not provide a verifiable link.

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You said:

So where's the link?

No comeback beyond, show a link. i get the GOP screw up, not taking the abortion issues more seriously. But you can't discredit my opinion. 

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

No comeback beyond, show a link. i get the GOP screw up, not taking the abortion issues more seriously. But you can't discredit my opinion. 

An opinion based on nothing but misinformation as its just not true, that is a lie not an opinion.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The problem arises when people don't vote in their own best interests. The propaganda industry is all about convincing people to do otherwise.

So your statement they were paid 10k to vote is a falsehood. Do not post misinformation if you wish to be taken as credible.  There is not one shred of evidence votes were bought and paid for. Your starting to sound like your idol the orangeman now....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So your statement they were paid 10k to vote is a falsehood. Do not post misinformation if you wish to be taken as credible.  There is not one shred of evidence votes were bought and paid for. Your starting to sound like your idol the orangeman now....

aww, he's just trying to imply that the lure of "free stuff" induced hordes of young voters to vote for Biden. Truth is, most of those young voters won't be eligible for student loan forgiveness anyway so it's just a talking point.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Now you're just trolling. Refresh my memory where I said votes were bought and paid for. Loan forgiveness has been a biden talking point for awhile. I get it. Take a victory lap, it worked.

16 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

aww, he's just trying to imply that the lure of "free stuff" induced hordes of young voters to vote for Biden. Truth is, most of those young voters won't be eligible for student loan forgiveness anyway so it's just a talking point.

I agree, the carrot is getting smaller.