90 Day "Show Money" Orders at Jomtien with bank method retirement extensions are "UP TO YOU"

53 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

It's not and never has been a requirement at Chiang Mai Immigration ,

it's just that Immigration offices can have different rules ,made up by

Chief Immigration officers to make themselves feel important or just

make things a bit more difficult for the foreigner's ,..........

regards worgeordie 

But this isn't more difficult because you don't have to do it.

• Haha 1

At Jomtien they won't synch your 90 Day and your Extension so I have to schedule my 90 day reports to stretch out the periods a bit so that I do a Report on the day I pick uo my passport with my new Extension stamp. (Otherwise you end up having to go a week before your Extension one year, then 2 weeks before, then 3 weeks before and so on.)

When I go back in 90 days for the next report I do the "bank book check" at the same time.

And at Jomtien, you do both from the tent in the parking lot now. Drop off your passport (and Bank balance paperwork), grab a coffee and wait for your passport to come back and off you go.

I was pretty sure those bank balance checks were not required as they seem to just get tossed in a file basket and ignored. Can't see someone wasting their days sifting through them all trying to find one person that may have dipped into his/her 800k in the last 3 months and then hunting that person down to revoke their Extension. 

Maybe one day the "check" will be dropped just like the TM.6 was finally dumped, when they found that Immigration was renting warehouses to store all those TM.6 Arrival cards going back decades. (When you think about it, they were getting nearly 40 million arrivals a year before covid. Even if only half those arrivals had to do TM.6 cards, that's 20 million cards a year for however many years they've been using them, all put in storage "somewhere" for no real reason.)

Just like the "Bank Balance Check" form and photocopies. Are they stored somewhere, waiting in case they bust someone who dipped into their 800k ? Are they shredded a year later when they become redundant ? Or are they sitting in boxes in a warehouse somewhere ?

• Like 1

It's rather intimidating but in reality you DO NOT need to actually do it. 

If they do a show-me order (however unlikely given my balance exceeds the amount by a significant amount)... I am going to go show them.   The normal renewal process has been uneventful and an extremely quick process where all they have ever bothed 'needing' was the last 6 month statement (year statement you have to ask for it to be mailed)... I doubt if you ignore it the next renewal would be as quick or as easy and it is highly unlikely they would accept anything but a full years history.

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

If they do a show-me order (however unlikely given my balance exceeds the amount by a significant amount)... I am going to go show them.   The normal renewal process has been uneventful and an extremely quick process where all they have ever bothed 'needing' was the last 6 month statement (year statement you have to ask for it to be mailed)... I doubt if you ignore it the next renewal would be as quick or as easy and it is highly unlikely they would accept anything but a full years history.

Not true.

There is no consequence.

The real policy is up to you.

You use Jomtien office?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Right on. Ignored it with zero repercussions. 

Nobody is going to be able to report consequences at Jomtien as the only purpose of the orders are to strongly encourage expats to follow the actual balance rules to be proven upon the next extension. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

At Jomtien they won't synch your 90 Day and your Extension so I have to schedule my 90 day reports to stretch out the periods a bit so that I do a Report on the day I pick uo my passport with my new Extension stamp. (Otherwise you end up having to go a week before your Extension one year, then 2 weeks before, then 3 weeks before and so on.)

When I go back in 90 days for the next report I do the "bank book check" at the same time.

And at Jomtien, you do both from the tent in the parking lot now. Drop off your passport (and Bank balance paperwork), grab a coffee and wait for your passport to come back and off you go.

I was pretty sure those bank balance checks were not required as they seem to just get tossed in a file basket and ignored. Can't see someone wasting their days sifting through them all trying to find one person that may have dipped into his/her 800k in the last 3 months and then hunting that person down to revoke their Extension. 

Maybe one day the "check" will be dropped just like the TM.6 was finally dumped, when they found that Immigration was renting warehouses to store all those TM.6 Arrival cards going back decades. (When you think about it, they were getting nearly 40 million arrivals a year before covid. Even if only half those arrivals had to do TM.6 cards, that's 20 million cards a year for however many years they've been using them, all put in storage "somewhere" for no real reason.)

Just like the "Bank Balance Check" form and photocopies. Are they stored somewhere, waiting in case they bust someone who dipped into their 800k ? Are they shredded a year later when they become redundant ? Or are they sitting in boxes in a warehouse somewhere ?

Good job synching but unnecessary.

90 day address reports online are super easy now!

I suggest you try it. Very efficient. 

The show money thing as stated you can ignore with no consequence. 

The last couple of times I did the extension myself I was given the paper telling me to provide proof of funds after 3 months, and I complied like the hamster in a wheel that I am. Last year I used an agent and she returned with my passport duly extended for another year, but no demand to provide proof after 3 months. So yeah, I'd figured out that this was some kind of exercise to try and intimidate lone expats, or a CYA exercise for Immigration, but thanks for confirming it anyway @Jingthing

• Thumbs Up 1

My "official" information states that " different offices have different requirements "  .

Bearing that in mind , I would think it best to comply with whatever Immigration Office requests of you , especially when it's a written notice .

If one has had a problem , all be it  a very small one, with the 800,000 remaining for 3 months after the extension of stay , then far better to talk/explain that then and there rather than ignore the letter .  Who knows,  you may unknowingly get a black mark for ignoring immigration requirements and it may make you more "in the line of fire"  when your next renewal of stay due !!    Never argue with Immigration, follow their requirements and never have any problems !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

My "official" information states that " different offices have different requirements "  .

Bearing that in mind , I would think it best to comply with whatever Immigration Office requests of you , especially when it's a written notice .

If one has had a problem , all be it  a very small one, with the 800,000 remaining for 3 months after the extension of stay , then far better to talk/explain that then and there rather than ignore the letter .  Who knows,  you may unknowingly get a black mark for ignoring immigration requirements and it may make you more "in the line of fire"  when your next renewal of stay due !!    Never argue with Immigration, follow their requirements and never have any problems !

I didn't quote section as pretty much the whole post is incorrect.

This thread is an often repeated over and over.

There is no repercussions from not returning back to immigration at the 3 month mark with bank bank.

That's it period. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

Not bad advice in general but in this particular case there are no consequences to ignoring it.

• Haha 1

As I posted in another thread, I have never been asked to go back after 3 months to show I still have the 800K in the bank BUT I do use an agent to do all of the paperwork for me so I can only assume that either I'm getting an additional "Perk" for using an agent OR even the agent doesn't think it needs doing. 

NB I keep the 800K in the bank all year round so it wouldn't be a problem for me to show this, just have never been asked to do so at Bangkok (CW) or Jomtien. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

As I posted in another thread, I have never been asked to go back after 3 months to show I still have the 800K in the bank BUT I do use an agent to do all of the paperwork for me so I can only assume that either I'm getting an additional "Perk" for using an agent OR even the agent doesn't think it needs doing. 

NB I keep the 800K in the bank all year round so it wouldn't be a problem for me to show this, just have never been asked to do so at Bangkok (CW) or Jomtien. 

I don't think Bangkok ever did this.

Only a few offices do.

I think Jomtien is the only major office doing it.

Of course Agent users would be excluded.

But again you can ignore it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, agreed, on the one occasion I did return with proof, I got the impression they could not care less. Year prior, they forgot to tell me so I didn't. This year, as I was up against the wall due to dopey HMPO UK pushing me up against a wall, I engaged an agent and it was not mentioned.

Beware NOT keeping the balances stipulated though... I suspect an Extension could be cancelled if you really got them annoyed.

Kalasin IO. 90 day report notice stapled in to my passport. No "show" passbook or bank statement notice. But I was informed the full amount of money must stay in the account for 3 months and topped up if necessary 2 months before next application for another year or that would be refused. He did agree though that I could still go the marriage route then ( I am married to a Thai) then as long as 400k bht still in the account for 2 months prior

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 12:41 PM, Jingthing said:

I don't think Bangkok ever did this.

Only a few offices do.

I think Jomtien is the only major office doing it.

Of course Agent users would be excluded.

But again you can ignore it.

WRONG !  You have a choice - you can follow it or ignore it !!   That is the real answer you should be giving out