Hotel maids nabbed for allegedly sneaking into tourist’s room to steal valuables

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, gunnerterry said:

There are lowlifes in every part of world the same as there are good people in every part of the world. Thailand is no different to anywhere else.

sorry,  I have to disagree .... I spent alot of time in Malaysia, Vietnam & Cambodia .. and I didn't hear or read of so much stealing, cheating, robbing of farangs in these place like it is here.  Seems to be more prevalent in Thailand than other parts of Asia.  You could not go traveling here and leave your upcountry house unguarded for a week as when you return all your things would be gone,  not the same in Vietnam that's sure,  different culture and engrained responsibilities I guess,  in that they are not thinking about stealing from a farang, or how to get 1000 baht from you or how to cheat you,  they don't care about that because it's not in the mind of a Vietnamese imo.

Edited by steven100
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One of this, IMHO, totally useless news stories which could end with: Similar events happen every day probably thousands of times all over the world.

I disagree. 

It highlights that the Thai police can catch the criminals even after some years at liberty.  That is why the story is here. Does the fact that this happens  'thousands of times all over the world' (even if true, which I doubt)  make it less newsworthy? You wish to suppress News for what reason?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Ive never had stuff stolen. Never been bashed. Never been murdered.

Been abused once by a Thai. Get abused daily in Oz on the roads by bad drivers in the wrong.

Sorry, but if you are being abused daily by “bad drivers who are in the wrong” on a daily basis, maybe they are not the ones in the wrong?

just stating the obvious.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Had 5000bht stolen from our hotel whilst we were at breakfast in Koh Pangan. Just been to the ATM to pay for a trip to Ang Thong Nat Park. Didn't get the cash back had to be stolen by the maids only out of room 30 mins. Wife forget her purse left it by the TV. 

Year after at Khao Lak our friend had money stolen whilst swimming from his bag on the beach.

Happens everywhere I'm afraid and not just Thailand.

3 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Was expecting to read on that the maids were "from a neighbouring country" but no, it seems they are Thai. 

A few words of warning; never, ever, leave cash in a hotel room safety box. Not only do most hotel staff have access to the room, many also know the admin/overide codes to open the room safe box. Recently checked into a hotel and the safety box was already locked. Told the front desk and staff member came and opened the box using number from memory. I only ever leave laptop and passport in a box. Still a risk but less so than losing notes of cash. 

Dont even use safes anymore.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, allanos said:

Not victim blaming, but how unfair is it to put such overwhelming

temptation in front of a couple of poor persons earning peanuts?

It seems iniquitous to me!

What are you on about??

It's a hotel, in one of the most developed countries in Asia, a few years ago.

Those woman have jobs. If they are from upcountry, they have homes, lands, and vehicles. Thailand has a good, free healthcare system.

It ain't like they left a bottle of drinking water in a village somewhere in Sub-Saharan Africa.

And they didn't take 40 baht for a noodle soup. They took over 100,000 baht.

Those women are just common thieves. No surprise they applied for such a job in the first place.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Arrested for stealing only FIVE years ago - way to go police force. 

Well, the Thai police could give the British police forces training to improve their dismal arrest rates for burglary! ???? 

• Thanks 1

I've lost count of the hotel stays that I have had in Thailand. I have left money and my smart devices laying around many times and have never lost a coin nor an item of mine. My wife likes to use the safe, so her items go in there. 

Maybe I was lucky but mostly this is just due to the honesty of the staff that we have met. Things may have changed somewhat after covid due to the financial strain that people were under but I still havenot had any items lost.

These two are not indicative of hotel staff, they are exceptions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Was expecting to read on that the maids were "from a neighbouring country" but no, it seems they are Thai. 

A few words of warning; never, ever, leave cash in a hotel room safety box. Not only do most hotel staff have access to the room, many also know the admin/overide codes to open the room safe box. Recently checked into a hotel and the safety box was already locked. Told the front desk and staff member came and opened the box using number from memory. I only ever leave laptop and passport in a box. Still a risk but less so than losing notes of cash. 

You should read your own words, you write advising every one and then say you leave your passport in the safe? Have you any idea how much a passport is worth on the black market?

3 minutes ago, Jimjim1 said:
4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Expand  

You should read your own words, you write advising every one and then say you leave your passport in the safe? Have you any idea how much a passport is worth on the black market?

Perhaps you might read what I wrote again? "Never, ever leave cash..."  Petty thieves will remove cash but they know that stealing a passport elevates the crime as a police report and investigation will be needed. The most common theft is the removal of a few notes (Thai or foreign) from a stack of notes left in a safe. Less likely to be noticed by the owner and, if reported to hotel or authorities, almost impossible to prove.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marley01 said:

Sorry, but if you are being abused daily by “bad drivers who are in the wrong” on a daily basis, maybe they are not the ones in the wrong?

just stating the obvious.

On my morning bike run for exercise, hardly a day goes by without some motorbike rider pulling away in front of me without looking or coming out of a side road also without looking. It happened twice this morning.

My life or well being is not in much danger as I watch for it all the time and am ready for it.

The majority of Thai road users have very little common sense and are not fit to be on the road, and once again, no apologies for Thai bashing.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A subsequent crime of failing to report to court too. 

Actually pleasing to see this was pursued....it would have been dropped in many countries. 

Correct, but being a maid she obviously didn't have the 'right connections' or enough money?

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Two Pattaya hotel maids were apprehended by police on Tuesday after they allegedly used a universal keycard to enter a tourist’s room to steal gold jewelry and cash worth 100,000 baht-over five years ago.

Once those bloodhounds are on your trail you got no chance.