UK faces biggest fall in living standards on record

Scott

2 minutes ago, mrfill said:

30 years ago we were in another tory inspired crash. Then the mortgage rate jumped to 15% causing a housing crash and all because we overpriced our currency and got forced out the ERM. Few people can afford 15% mortgages at any time.

.........or 25 years ago when the mortgage rate dropped to a few percent and houses were very cheap to buy and anyone could have bought a house 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Complete claptrap. Most - if not ALL - of the poor people I know in the UK are poor for a reason - wasted their money. I worked 25 years, bought my house and retired to Thailand at 50, you seriously saying I should give some of my money to some lazy, drunk, weed smoking bums ?  

You mean HM government? But you already gave them 20%!

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

No, I'm saying the large land owners (Crown, Aristocracy, RSPB, Nation Trust, Forestry Commission, Church, etc) should submit to redistribution, along with anyone owning more than 10M pounds in assets)

I doubt you have enough to share with anyone.

The French could advise a radical way to do it! ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The issue was about British wages during the Depression. Not about American GDP per capita during the Depression.

Sorry, I read that somebody asked if they kept records during the Great Depression. want data that is UK specific, try this:   https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/7483/economics/the-uk-economy-in-the-1930s/

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Sorry, I read that somebody asked if they kept records during the Great Depression. want data that is UK specific, try this:   https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/7483/economics/the-uk-economy-in-the-1930s/

But what it doesn't have is UK wage information. Governments or monetary agencies have to decide to compile statistics. Maybe they just didn't bother to do it back then.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

It was the USA that had the Great depression , the UK's was just average and not great at all 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was the USA that had the Great depression , the UK's was just average and not great at all 

True, supports the OP.

Britain did not experience the boom that had characterized the U.S., Germany, Canada and Australia in the 1920s, so its effect appeared less severe. (wiki)

My mum remembers the depression in Australia and eating rabbit off carts.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, placeholder said:

Hmmmm. Do you think statistical records are a natural phenomenon? For such statistics to be compiled, there has to be a government agency to do it. I can't find any evidence so far back for the existence of such  records via sources that draw from government agencies. Maybe you have an idea where to find them?

He's talking about not 1930's not the 1530's. The article is wrong. 

Just now, placeholder said:

I did try a search myself. And I had no more success in finding anything about UK wages in the Depression than apparently did you.

I did a casual search in an attempt to help the conversation along but didn't try to do anything in depth. Given the rather ungracious responses to my efforts, ya'll can go get stuffed and find your own data from here on out.

3 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I did a casual search in an attempt to help the conversation along but didn't try to do anything in depth. Given the rather ungracious responses to my efforts, ya'll can go get stuffed and find your own data from here on out.

Thanks but we already do. Just asking you to do the same or keep your powder dry..

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

True, supports the OP.

Britain did not experience the boom that had characterized the U.S., Germany, Canada and Australia in the 1920s, so its effect appeared less severe. (wiki)

My mum remembers the depression in Australia and eating rabbit off carts.

Thank you for coming and thank your mother for the rabbits.  Apparently that came from the depression in Australia when food was scarce and rabbits were cheap or free if you caught them

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Thank you for coming and thank your mother for the rabbits.  Apparently that came from the depression in Australia when food was scarce and rabbits were cheap or free if you caught them

It wasn't hard to catch them, the English were responsible for that. Our favourite national anthem springs from the depression.

7 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I just found it strange that you assumed I didn't do a search. And why should I invest the time to do anything more than a casual search? There are many important shows on the BBC iplayer that need me to watch them.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

"Paul Johnson, director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies think tank, said: "Surging global energy prices have made the UK a poorer country." 

The biggest downturn I can see coming (for all the west) are the potential grid failures this winter. Too many fossil fuel power stations being turned off!

And the 'surging global energy prices' are as the story suggested ........ global!

"Energy and food bills have shot up due to the war in Ukraine and pandemic, and are squeezing household budgets."

This is an EU wide problem, not just the UK.

"This is likely to be a relatively shallow recession for the economy as a whole - but for households, it will mean the wipeout of gains in living standards, a return to 2014."

Some of the statements are just odd, IMHO living standards in the UK have been dropping since the year 2000, I certainly wouldn't have picked 2014 as the pinnacle of UK living standards.

While the rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer.

What the world needs is a major redistribution of wealth, not another 'austerity' programme for the poor.

"What the world needs is a major redistribution of wealth, not another 'austerity' programme for the poor."

I agree up to a point, just remember that some, just a minority though, do not want to work, and some that do, just drink and smoke their money away.

Why should people who work to make a good standard of living for themselves subsidise people like that?

Edited 11 hours ago by BritManToo

Just now, NoshowJones said:

"What the world needs is a major redistribution of wealth, not another 'austerity' programme for the poor."

I agree up to a point, just remember that some, just a minority though, do not want to work, and some that do, just drink and smoke their money away.

Why should people who work to make a good standard of living for themselves subsidise people like that?

Edited 11 hours ago by BritManToo

A long time ago I read that about a third of US wealth had been transferred from the poor to the rich. How should that be reversed? Hard work?

https://time.com/5888024/50-trillion-income-inequality-america/

52 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I just found it strange that you assumed I didn't do a search. And why should I invest the time to do anything more than a casual search? There are many important shows on the BBC iplayer that need me to watch them.

Because you didn't do searches several times in the past regarding topics we've discussed, the Gilts issue stands out!

11 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Because you didn't do searches several times in the past regarding topics we've discussed, the Gilts issue stands out!

I guess I find it strange that you accuse me of behaving badly when it was you who wrote this:

"You could try a search yourself you know!" 

Is this your idea of politesse?

As for the gilts issue, I recall it differently, if hazily. And can you give me a point- by-point recap of the other times I haven't been able to back up what I've alleged with searches. I think that's untrue.