Lady Susan Hussey quits over remarks to charity boss Ngozi Fulani

Scott

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Cannot say I have heard those accents , although I have heard Persian, Polish, Romanian, Irish , Dubaian , Urdu, Punjabi , Nigerian  and Hindi accents recently  . 

Where in the UK are you based?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RayC said:

You're kidding, right?

Scousers, Geordies, Londoners, West Country, East England, Northern Ireland, Black Country, Yorkies, different types of Scottish brogue, Mancs to name a few. 

In London, I heard all of those accents and more in the past month or so.

Must have been a one-off CAMRA Festival then pre-Christmas maybe?

4 minutes ago, RayC said:

9m people in London and the only ones that speak with a London accent are to be found among a group of  me, my mates and our families' mates? 

I'll have to tell them. We need to rediscover this non-London London.

We were talking about British accents from around the U.K , of course I hear London accents in London, my point was that I haven't heard any U.K reginal accents in London , but then again I tend just to go to central London where its mainly tourists and I don't talk to people when I am in central London

9 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

There are times when PC culture can be questioned. This isn't one of them.

Rubbish.

Quoting what was said doesn't give the context or the inflexions of speech. Unless one was listening to it one doesn't know the full picture.

This, IMO, is a very good example of a "storm in a teacup" ie much ado about nothing, or more likely the "looking to be offended mob" seizing on the proverbial molehill and conflating it into the proverbial mountain.

BTW, if one professes to be British, not a good idea to be wearing the colours of a different country unless expecting to be asked where from.

If anyone is going to be exercised over something like this when the world we live in is in meltdown mode they need to get out from behind their social media screen and get out into the real world, IMO.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Rubbish.

Quoting what was said doesn't give the context or the inflexions of speech. Unless one was listening to it one doesn't know the full picture.

This, IMO, is a very good example of a "storm in a teacup" ie much ado about nothing, or more likely the "looking to be offended mob" seizing on the proverbial molehill and conflating it into the proverbial mountain.

BTW, if one professes to be British, not a good idea to be wearing the colours of a different country unless expecting to be asked where from.

If anyone is going to be exercised over something like this when the world we live in is in meltdown mode they need to get out from behind their social media screen and get out into the real world, IMO.

Inflections in speech do not negate what was said.

• Like 1

“I want to see the royal household as a whole acknowledge that institutional racism is part of the culture, and I want to see them tackle that head on…,” Reid, leader of the Women’s Equality Party, told Sky News. “I think what’s needed is something bigger, something more substantive.”

https://apnews.com/article/king-charles-iii-entertainment-boston-violence-b38a3a57692a79a6ed71b15ff1f03591?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_07

• Like 1

Exactly. There are much easier ways of asking this question other than 'No, where are you REALLY from'.

LOL. So you never, ever, said something you regretted later then? I've done so many times, but never an intended insult. Sometimes people misunderstand what I said as I don't vet my words for 10 minutes to see if they conform to the politics of the moment before speaking.

Luckily I'm not a target for the woke media.

Should I ever become a target of the woke media I have a Churchillian salute for them.

9 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Similar thing happened to me recently .

I had arranged to meet a few different people and one of them was flying over from Nigeria a few days beforehand .  I then met them at different times and a Black person showed up and I was asking how Nigeria was and how She liked the U.K and how long is she staying for and when she planned to go back to Nigeria .

She wasn't very talkative or responsive .

After a few hours she said quietly " I have no idea what Nigeria is like , I was born in Ireland and I am from Ireland"

She glared at me and added "We want our six Counties back as well"

I apologised  profusely 

She would be a minority then. I've spent a lot of time in Southern Ireland and can't recall seeing any black person working there. I don't even recall any as tourists.

A black British charity boss who was repeatedly asked where she was "really" from at a royal reception has told the BBC the encounter was "abuse".

Ngozi Fulani was questioned about her background by Lady Susan Hussey, Prince William's godmother, at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday. The late Queen's lady-in-waiting has since resigned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63819482

• Like 1

I take it the little tell-tell signs such as her BROAD Irish accent escaped you?

Didn't read the post you quoted then? Had you done so you might have noticed the little tell- tale sign of " She wasn't very talkative or responsive".

BTW, not all Irish people have a "BROAD Irish accent", but one needs to have been there a while to know that.

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Fair enough , I got the bit about France wrong .

But when Ngozi was first asked where She came from .

Her first reply was *Sista Space*

She was then asked once again where She came from and then replied "We're based in Hackney"

Which still doesn't answer the question about where She was from .

Then She was asked once again where She came from and she replied " I don't know , they didn't leave any records"

It was only at the fourth time of asking that she stated she was from the U.K , but the confusion had already set in 

She SHOULD have replied that she was from the UK when she was asked the first time , rather than being evasive and not answering  at the beginning and waiting to be asked four times 

Thanks for adding that info. Sounds like it was both sides confused about the questions being asked.

Add a woke media and bingo, here we are having a barney about an elderly lady being racist.

One might suspect that she's been around long enough, and the media have been woke long enough, to have noticed a while back if she was overtly racist.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks for adding that info. Sounds like it was both sides confused about the questions being asked.

Add a woke media and bingo, here we are having a barney about an elderly lady being racist.

One might suspect that she's been around long enough, and the media have been woke long enough, to have noticed a while back if she was overtly racist.

There have been ongoing stories in the MSM about entrenched racism in the palace for years. Nobody ignored anything.

Does the British monarchy have a racism problem?

The royals are once again battling serious allegations of racism inside palace walls,

Questions of how robustly the palace confronts racism have swirled since Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, told Oprah Winfrey last year that someone in the family questioned her on the skin tone of her unborn baby.

Britain’s Guardian newspaper unearthed documents, buried in the UK national archives, which revealed that the Queen’s courtiers had banned ethnic minority immigrants and foreigners from holding clerical positions at Buckingham Palace until at least the late 1960s.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/01/uk/royal-racism-row-analysis-intl-cmd/index.html

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

There have been ongoing stories in the MSM about entrenched racism in the palace for years. Nobody ignored anything.

Does the British monarchy have a racism problem?

Questions of how robustly the palace confronts racism have swirled since Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, told Oprah Winfrey last year that someone in the family questioned her on the skin tone of her unborn baby.

Stop this nonsense . 

Members of the Royal Family casually asked and wondered what colour the baby will be , that is quite a normal line of questioning for mixed race couples , its quite normal to wonder what a new baby will look like .

Once again you are making false racist accusations , you could do with stopping your finger pointing and making accusations 

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Stop this nonsense . 

Members of the Royal Family casually asked and wondered what colour the baby will be , that is quite a normal line of questioning for mixed race couples , its quite normal to wonder what a new baby will look like .

Once again you are making false racist accusations , you could do with stopping your finger pointing and making accusations 

Normal would be to ignore the topic altogether, given that these people know who they are and where they are. Markle took offense which establishes the comments as being offensive.

Edited by ozimoron

50 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

She would be a minority then. I've spent a lot of time in Southern Ireland and can't recall seeing any black person working there. I don't even recall any as tourists.

Maybe you should open your eyes then. 

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Eye and hair color was not mentioned.

But those are also aspects of the babies appearance , as is the skin tone/colour .

After the racist allegations, many mixed raced couple went onto social media saying it was quite normal to discuss the babies skin colour and what shade it could be .

There is nothing wrong with having dark skin and nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about and there's nothing wrong with talking about it 

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

But those are also aspects of the babies appearance , as is the skin tone/colour .

After the racist allegations, many mixed raced couple went onto social media saying it was quite normal to discuss the babies skin colour and what shade it could be .

There is nothing wrong with having dark skin and nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about and there's nothing wrong with talking about it 

That some racists went on social media to claim their racism was normal is not surprising. Telling is that they didn't go on MSM to claim that.

33 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

A black British charity boss who was repeatedly asked where she was "really" from at a royal reception has told the BBC the encounter was "abuse".

Ngozi Fulani was questioned about her background by Lady Susan Hussey, Prince William's godmother, at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday. The late Queen's lady-in-waiting has since resigned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63819482

I am not comfortable with this. I would say she is more likely culturalist than racist. Probably a bit snobby and uppity. Not ideal.

Her comments though were not totally wrong - she was brought up by people who spent their formative years in the Carribean. We all have a picture of what it is to be British, or French etc. That picture may be a bit flawed and out of date and imperfect. But concluding someone as having a different cultural background to you because they look, talk and dress differently is not necessarily racist. It may be ignorant or it may be likely accurate based on statistical likelihood.

Second point is we all make mistakes. Each poster here has probably gone too far, asked one too many question, been a bit obnoxious. Are you happy to be judged solely on one specific post of your 1000's of posts. If she does not have a history of racism or bad acts the 83 year old should get a pass. Let people breathe and make a mistake and get an opportunity to do better without being forced to resign. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I am not comfortable with this. I would say she is more likely culturalist than racist. Probably a bit snobby and uppity. Not ideal.

Her comments though were not totally wrong - she was brought up by people who spent their formative years in the Carribean. We all have a picture of what it is to be British, or French etc. That picture may be a bit flawed and out of date and imperfect. But concluding someone as having a different cultural background to you because they look, talk and dress differently is not necessarily racist. It may be ignorant or it may be likely accurate based on statistical likelihood.

Second point is we all make mistakes. Each poster here has probably gone too far, asked one too many question, been a bit obnoxious. Are you happy to be judged solely on one specific post of your 1000's of posts. If she does not have a history of racism or bad acts the 83 year old should get a pass. Let people breathe and make a mistake and get an opportunity to do better without being forced to resign. 

I disagree. Anyone in her position should have situational awareness and she had no lack of advisors who had a duty to keep her informed.

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

We don't often agree but that is a very excellent post IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

That some racists went on social media to claim their racism was normal is not surprising. Telling is that they didn't go on MSM to claim that.

It was mainly people with mixed raced Children who stated it was normal to discuss what the baby would look like prior to birth , are you suggesting that they are racist ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was mainly people with mixed raced Children who stated it was normal to discuss what the baby would look like prior to birth , are you suggesting that they are racist ????

If white people in positions of responsiblity and in the public eye do it, yes it is racist. Again, you are deflecting,.

Edited by ozimoron

7 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

60 years of service and suddenly its all gone because of what seems to be a misunderstanding 

• Like 1