Is English Quickly Becoming a Dead Language?

GammaGlobulin

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

When you state, "I'm out", what is your meaning? 

I am in my 60's and I believe that if anyone doesn't understand what the poster meant when he said he is out, is, well, way behind the times, I understood what he was saying as clear as daylight.

Regarding the English language, in case you aren't aware, it is on it's way out as the dominant language, that is because China will soon be taking over, within a decade and the dominant language will become Chinese.

Just look at the ratio of women they have to men and then the migration of those women who will integrate around the world, game over.

For one who grew up in an English speaking country, left school in year 10, later re-entered the education system to complete two degree's, I still managed to do well for myself, funny thing is, I still have no clue as to what  noun, pronoun, verb and the rest are and have never been interested, fact of the matter is I didn't know the difference of when to use these words, there, their and they're, there were also a few others.

All of the above said, in my opinion, it all boils down to the teachers teaching it, if they see someone struggling and fail to assist them, then that loss will remain with the child/student for ever, however English is so easy to understand without having to know it perfectly and there are many tools available to correct one if they so choose to use them.

Perhaps it is all too difficult a language when it comes to writing and in some differences when it comes to pronunciations, and that is why a very large percentage of the English population have struggled with the language, me being one of them, but like I said, easy to get on with it and easy to pick up what the street youth are saying.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

[quote] I  am in my 60's and I believe that if anyone doesn't understand what the poster meant when he said he is out, is, well, way behind the times, I understood what he was saying as clear as daylight.

[/quote]

Although to be fair, there are some important differences between 'real' English (that means from Ol' Blighty), and American, which could lead to misunderstandings. Yonks ago (30 years or so), I visited New York and after ordering a pizza in a restaurant, the waitress asked me if it was 'to go'. 'Go where?' I asked (the phrase 'to go' was not in common usage at that time in the UK).

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Are you sure? 

Analog computers don't operate this way, for example. 

Quuantum computers don't operate this way, for example. 

Making blanket statements is risky business. 

Anyway, what is the meaning of ++++-----? 

Binary Code?  Ever hear of it? Analog Computer? Are you talking about an abacus?

Edited by sqwakvfr

1 hour ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

Computers use binary which is 1…0…1..0…0..0..1 etc.

+ is One and - is Zero.  Tomato, Tomaato.  A long time ago an engineer told me it's as simple + Charge and a - Charge on a board.  Of course at that time I had not idea what he was talking about.  This was in the early 80's and Cobol, Dbase and Lotus 123 were the hot things in tech.  

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I am in my 60's and I believe that if anyone doesn't understand what the poster meant when he said he is out, is, well, way behind the times, I understood what he was saying as clear as daylight.

Regarding the English language, in case you aren't aware, it is on it's way out as the dominant language, that is because China will soon be taking over, within a decade and the dominant language will become Chinese.

Just look at the ratio of women they have to men and then the migration of those women who will integrate around the world, game over.

For one who grew up in an English speaking country, left school in year 10, later re-entered the education system to complete two degree's, I still managed to do well for myself, funny thing is, I still have no clue as to what  noun, pronoun, verb and the rest are and have never been interested, fact of the matter is I didn't know the difference of when to use these words, there, their and they're, there were also a few others.

All of the above said, in my opinion, it all boils down to the teachers teaching it, if they see someone struggling and fail to assist them, then that loss will remain with the child/student for ever, however English is so easy to understand without having to know it perfectly and there are many tools available to correct one if they so choose to use them.

Perhaps it is all too difficult a language when it comes to writing and in some differences when it comes to pronunciations, and that is why a very large percentage of the English population have struggled with the language, me being one of them, but like I said, easy to get on with it and easy to pick up what the street youth are saying.  

When you say the "dominant" language, do you mean that Chinese language will be forced down our throats like Xi Jinping's virus test swabs, in a dominatrix fashion? 

Or, are you just saying that the entire world, including India, will thankfully accept Chinese (Zhongwen) as the Lingua Frankenstein of the future? 

I blame the Yanks. There isn't even a word to describe the people from the USA, and some seem offended by the term yank. One called me English last week and as a Scot I was offended. He was also surprised when, after asking where he came from, I said I come from Grampian. He had said, after I asked him where he was from,  Orange County, as if I was supposed to know where that is. 

Anyways, they are trying to omit the use of prepositions. For example, Sleep Joe went Saudi Arabia Tuesday and is going home Sunday.  

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I blame the Yanks. There isn't even a word to describe the people from the USA, and some seem offended by the term yank.

Hey ... watch it pal.  Yank here, and I do use the term.  BUT, can almost understand how some, touchy folks, though also educated folks, history wise, especially if below the Mason Dixon line would be offended.

Yes, some are still fighting that war from 150+ yrs ago.

Yank to them = Yankee / Union soldier vs them fine Southern Confederate Soldiers.

Or Yank may mean them 'carpetbaggers' who took advantage of the Civil War's ending.

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

One called me English last week and as a Scot I was offended.

Just out of curiosity, as I have never been, what does it feel like to be offended????

Oh and BTW as far as i know there are at least two Orange Counties. One in NY and one in Calif. I.e. Orange County Choppers are/were not based in Calif.

16 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

When you say the "dominant" language, do you mean that Chinese language will be forced down our throats like Xi Jinping's virus test swabs, in a dominatrix fashion? 

Or, are you just saying that the entire world, including India, will thankfully accept Chinese (Zhongwen) as the Lingua Frankenstein of the future? 

Things change over time, right under our noses, and the sheep will accept the grass, because without it they die.

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Just out of curiosity, as I have never been, what does it feel like to be offended????

Oh and BTW as far as i know there are at least two Orange Counties. One in NY and one in Calif. I.e. Orange County Choppers are/were not based in Calif.

Orange County, TX, VA, NC, SC, FL and possibly more

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Binary Code?  Ever hear of it? Analog Computer? Are you talking about an abacus?

No.

I was referring to a true analog computer, such as the type which uses variation in voltage or amperage in order to operate.

An abacus, on the other hand, I consider to be a digital computer.

The reason that an abacus can be considered to be a digital computer is just because one uses the digits of the human hand to manipulate it, just as you might use the digits of your hand to manipulate a clitoris.

However, an analog computer is anything BUT an abacus, or a clitoris.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

this travesty of the perversion of the English

The english language itself is a perversion of many European court and former invader languages. That is continues on its journey of perversion (I would use the word "evolution") is natural.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

No.

I was referring to a true analog computer, such as the type which uses variation in voltage or amperage in order to operate.

An abacus, on the other hand, I consider to be a digital computer.

The reason that an abacus can be considered to be a digital computer is just because one uses the digits of the human hand to manipulate it, just as you might use the digits of your hand to manipulate a clitoris.

However, an analog computer is anything BUT an abacus, or a clitoris.

Wow.  I have never heard of anyone use the words Clitoris and Abacus in the same sentence.  

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

The english language itself is a perversion of many European court and former invader languages. That is continues on its journey of perversion (I would use the word "evolution") is natural.

What is considered Natural, and what is considered Perversion, no one seems to agree. 

Do you recall, many years ago, the French legislated against the perversion of the French language? 

You may be too young to recall the news, that day. 

At that time, I think the French government was worried about loss/corruption of French culture. 

8 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Wow.  I have never heard of anyone use the words Clitoris and Abacus in the same sentence.  

You have, then, never witnessed the true versatility of the great English language. 

The English language is second to none. The Chinese language is a close second. Thai is a close third. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I blame the Yanks. There isn't even a word to describe the people from the USA, and some seem offended by the term yank. One called me English last week and as a Scot I was offended. He was also surprised when, after asking where he came from, I said I came from Grampian. He had said, after I asked him where he was from, Orange County, as if I was supposed to know where that is. 

Anyways, they are trying to omit the use of prepositions. For example, Sleep Joe went Saudi Arabia Tuesday and is going home Sunday.  

The misuse of prepositions is the easiest way to discriminate between a learned native-English speaker and everybody else. 

Proper use of prepositions is next to impossible for non-native English writers. 

This is the reason they are wishing to omit so many prepositions, respectfully. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

Poppycock!  I used nearly all those words today in 7/11......  (I was gently removed by the security staff shortly afterwards!).

Perhaps you were speaking in the infundibular tense when you should have been using the third person corpuscular imprecation.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You have, then, never witnessed the true versatility of the great English language. 

The English language is second to none. The Chinese language is a close second. Thai is a close third. 

What is Chinese or Thai for Clitoris please?