Lucky Licence Plate Auction Winner Being Probed For Money Laundering

webfact

In the real world people invest millions in art. In Thailand they spend money on 'lucky' numberplates. If I had that kind of money, I think I'd rather use it to look at paintings rather than a car numberplate, but each to their own I suppose.

BTW, I've always been told that all Thais are poor and that justifies double - or in the case of government rip-offs - 10 times pricing.

5 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

He doesn't sound so "lucky" to me. I wonder if the probe they mentioned will be an anal probe. 

It's the same with 2nd hand amulets which can be very expensive; the buyers never question the fact that all the previous owners are dead.

• Haha 1

Money laundering would explain why he paid so much for a number plate when the world will be in a recession in 2023 for goodness knows how long. When China invades Taiwan the recession will be mightily long, so his investment will be wasted.

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

If people can and are willing to pay so much money for a license plate, I think something is very wrong. While other people have to struggle to make ends meet every month,  a daily minimum wage of not even 350 THB a day, it is just shameful to show off with so much money for a license plate...  It doesn't care were the money is coming from, it is just shameful that there are such rich people that they can afford it

That 45.09 million baht paid for a couple of pieces of metal plate are the equivalent of 180,360 days or494 years of work at 350 baht per day on a 7 day week.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

It's the same with 2nd hand amulets which can be very expensive; the buyers never question the fact that all the previous owners are dead.

"...the fact that all the previous owners are dead".

What?  Nonsense, that is not a fact.  The previous owners of all 2nd hand amulets for sale are dead?  How could you ever know that?  You don't know that they are traded by collectors and investors?

Edited by Liverpool Lou