British ex-teacher, 78, and his boyfriend, 27, killed in horror car crash in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Purely out of interest, does the hospital go after the family of a foreign person when they cannot revive him for payment, refuse the body a funeral until bill paid  or just take the hit (unlikely)

Car insurance of the party in the wrong?

• Like 2

Just now, wwest5829 said:

I read the driver was making a right hand turn into a side street. While I agree U turns, if not a protected tun (allowed by light), are a problem but I did not read any reference to a U turn?

Oh I may have got that wrong. I guess the same principle applies though. People driving way too fast on a road where people need to slow down to turn. It's a guarantee this is going to happen if you're going 90k (the posted speed limit) and people are slowing down to park or turn.

15 minutes ago, JayClay said:

This is far more likely to lead to an accident. Blind spots don't disappear just because you've stopped moving. And just how "clear" does the road have to be? When you do finally turn, you have to start from zero speed and slowly cross the entire road at slow speed.

I meant to write 'turn right', not 'left', so I'll try and explain again in simple language. We want to turn right into our house. Cars are behind, any one of which might do what happened in this article and what happened before not far from our house. So we pull over to the left and stop or slow down to let following vehicles pass, and when the road is clear we move off again and turn right into our house. I have no idea where you got the idea of a blind spot from.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chricha said:

Why the reporter felt it necessary to mention that the young man was the boyfriend I have no idea! How did he know this or is it just speculation? 

Why did it bother you?

A friend of the couple was interviewed. 

Also, this is extremely weird in the UK and weird here too. 

I hope the driver that caused the accident is actually charged and made to do more than make him put some flowers at the funeral and say they are sorry.

They looked like a nice couple.  RIP.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Crazy Thai drivers at it again.

To Fast, To Stupid, To Selfish.

RIP.

There will be 60-70 more today dead.

about 14 of them will be children.

Shameful Thailand and it's drivers and riders.

No one cares at all.

No, it is the government who is the culprit.

The education system regarding driving is not sufficient.

RIP to both.

Tragic. 

Thailand should hang its head in shame. This continues day after day after day.

The government is unable/unwilling to do anything about it. And people here continue to drive with no consideration for anyone other than themselves.

Respect for others. Why is that so difficult on Thailand's roads?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

No, it is the government who is the culprit.

The education system regarding driving is not sufficient.

It's not a colonial government, it's staffed by Thai people themselves and that especially goes for the police who are as common as they come. If you ask them they can understand why these scenarios are dangerous but they'll just give you tons of excuses as to why it has to be like this. 100% their fault and that includes the drivers the police and government in general.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ardsong said:

my driving instructor learned me in these situations not to turn the front wheels towards the side road, but keep the front wheels straight, pointing towards the main-road. In case you get a back bump, at least your car is not turned into the path of the opposite traffic but will continue the same road pushed by the back colliding car. My driving instructor called it defensive driving.

Good tip.  Thanks.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

RIP to both.

Tragic. 

Thailand should hang its head in shame. This continues day after day after day.

The government is unable/unwilling to do anything about it. And people here continue to drive with no consideration for anyone other than themselves.

Respect for others. Why is that so difficult on Thailand's roads?

Respect for others? Meh!

Sadly a Wai and a box of bird juice fixes everything.????????

53 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I meant to write 'turn right', not 'left', so I'll try and explain again in simple language. We want to turn right into our house. Cars are behind, any one of which might do what happened in this article and what happened before not far from our house. So we pull over to the left and stop or slow down to let following vehicles pass, and when the road is clear we move off again and turn right into our house. I have no idea where you got the idea of a blind spot from.

I understood perfectly what you meant. Blind spots and interpretations of what "when the road is clear" means still make this a massively unsafe practice.

57 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

This practice of parking in the left most lane before turning is the sign of a low trust society. You literally can't trust the other drivers to not hit you so out of fear you have to do things like this. Proper policing would fix this but there's no indication that will ever happen.

As a motorcycle rider, I understand that. But it's still way more dangerous than doing it the "correct" way. No, you can't trust any other driver on the road. But if you're going to take that kind of protectionism to the extreme then you simply wouldn't drive here at all. We all take a risk when we get in or on any vehicle; driving improperly to compensate for others rarely has any affect other than to increase the chances of an accident.

There is a way of mitigating the outcome of such an accident like this, which I think many have overlooked.

When you slow down to make a right hand turn, keep your wheels in a straight ahead position until you're clear and can proceed to make the turn. That way, if unfortunately you are rear ended, at least you have a better chance of being shunted hopefully mostly forward and not into the oncoming traffic. Whilst still traumatic, you have a much better chance of surviving this than the double whammy of being hit behind and shunted straight into the path of oncoming traffic. This is something my father taught me many years ago and it has stuck with me. I'm always amazed at how many cars I see sitting there waiting to make a RH turn and they've got their front wheels almost fully turned in anticipation and of course when you're hit behind like this you're going to be propelled directly into disaster.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JayClay said:

As a motorcycle rider, I understand that. But it's still way more dangerous than doing it the "correct" way. No, you can't trust any other driver on the road. But if you're going to take that kind of protectionism to the extreme then you simply wouldn't drive here at all. We all take a risk when we get in or on any vehicle; driving improperly to compensate for others rarely has any affect other than to increase the chances of an accident.

I tend to agree myself. It always bothers me when I driving along in the left motorbike lane and some person comes to a halt to make a right turn. Problem is the traffic is going so damn fast it's often difficult to even get an open chance to get into the right lane to make a turn.

For me personally I'm trying to move out of Chiang Mai now since this is an ongoing quality of life issue that stresses me out on a daily basis. The roads are getting busier and more dangerous every year and once open roads are turning into U turn deaths traps that waste time and are dangerous.

Sadly Thailand is moving backwards in this regard so I find it hilarious when they make plans for "50% less deaths by 2030" or whatever nonsense they come out with.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I saw this on tv yesterday,, the driver off the black Isuzu not pay attention on the car he hit, just thinking about his own car. The Honda driver is at blame for killing this two people. 
isuzu driver for not helping the people in the white car. Both must do some jail time….

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Inala said:

There is a way of mitigating the outcome of such an accident like this, which I think many have overlooked.

When you slow down to make a right hand turn, keep your wheels in a straight ahead position until you're clear and can proceed to make the turn. That way, if unfortunately you are rear ended, at least you have a better chance of being shunted hopefully mostly forward and not into the oncoming traffic. Whilst still traumatic, you have a much better chance of surviving this than the double whammy of being hit behind and shunted straight into the path of oncoming traffic. This is something my father taught me many years ago and it has stuck with me. I'm always amazed at how many cars I see sitting there waiting to make a RH turn and they've got their front wheels almost fully turned in anticipation and of course when you're hit behind like this you're going to be propelled directly into disaster.     

If someone is doing 180k's it will not matter.

You can have indicators and all lights blazing, with sirens sounding if you wish.

There appears to be logic..."It's my Soi".????????