Russian teen electrocuted at public basketball court in Pattaya - faulty wiring to blame?

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

At the scene they found Mr. Alexey Sobolev, 19, lying motionless and breathing heavily at the edge of a fence next to a light pole. They quickly gave him cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) as some athletes watched and rushed him to the hospital but he later died there.

If he is breathing , why would you give him CPR ? I thought you just place somebody in the recovery position an closely monitor them until the ambulance arrived.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

At the scene they found Mr. Alexey Sobolev, 19, lying motionless and breathing heavily at the edge of a fence next to a light pole. They quickly gave him cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) as some athletes watched and rushed him to the hospital but he later died there.

If he is breathing , why would you give him CPR ? I thought you just place somebody in the recovery position and closely monitor them until the ambulance arrived.

Edited by NE1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Authorities in Pattaya are investigating after a 19 year old Russian man was electrocuted while having a game of basketball with friends at a public court at the resort yesterday.

So, does electrocution here mean the traditional meaning and he died?  Or is it the modern alternative meaning and he lived?

You can't have it both ways.

Edit: I see it is clarified later.  It's still so funny to effectively see "killed to death" in a news article...

Also curious as to whether he was actually technically "electrocuted to death" (new meaning) if he died from his injuries later.  "X to death" seems to suggest that someone died directly from whatever X was at the time that it was happening.

Edited by BangkokReady

3 hours ago, flexomike said:

look at the bunch of wire above the pipe

Not sure if where the problem was as it does not appear to contact anything.

But definitely sloppy work. And an exterior connection to top it off. Electrical tape and exposed. 

Seen too many of those in my years here... many stories. For instance at a major shopping mall that I cannot name, Xmas light strings wrapped around an exterior metal stair ramp with taped connections between strings. Total incompetence. 

13 hours ago, PJ71 said:

wow - that's not good.

tbh tho i'm surprised electrocutions are not more common here, the wiring is a joke.

They are quite common. Although different people are affected differently depending on body chemistry, grounding conductivity and the path the current flows through. 

The main problem is due to incompetence. And this can be see across all trades. Suing will not fix that. 

• Like 1

I have worked in the metro rail business here, and safety standards (supervised by experienced local and foreign staff) are as high as anywhere else.

Sadly my experience of public and domestic installations here, due to lack  of training and enforcement of health and safety legislation is poor. Maintenance is a dirty word, there is no money in it, just look at moo bans and condos after the first few years, even the new builds are shocking, literally. 

Life is cheap here and no one wants to lose profit by taking any care whatsoever.

• Like 1

This is probably what happened, as i nearly got shocked at the beach last weekend from same thing.... a fruit smoothie street vendor 'tapped" into the city electric circuit that powered the beach lights. The uninsulated cable was touching the fence above me and had I not noticed a spark I could have been another statistic.

Tragic for the Russian boy and his family.

• Like 1

at 19 he could have been on the front line but it ended in pattaya a million miles from his less fortunate others.

Its a freak accident never got a shock in 14 yrs here

Its ironic the Russians are removing the electrical supply from a sovereign country it invaded, karma

Edited by tomyami

8 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

So, does electrocution here mean the traditional meaning and he died?  Or is it the modern alternative meaning and he lived?

You can't have it both ways.

Edit: I see it is clarified later.  It's still so funny to effectively see "killed to death" in a news article...

Also curious as to whether he was actually technically "electrocuted to death" (new meaning) if he died from his injuries later.  "X to death" seems to suggest that someone died directly from whatever X was at the time that it was happening.

Err, people can be electrocuted but not die.

9 hours ago, NE1 said:

If he is breathing , why would you give him CPR ? I thought you just place somebody in the recovery position an closely monitor them until the ambulance arrived.

You beat me to it. I guess it was written by someone not familiar with the need for CPR with a breathing person.

BTW, the last time I did a first aid course it was no longer necessary to do breaths as the compressions do that anyway.

20 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

Why not just have inspections that require  a minimum standard be met?   Lawsuits would likely never be paid anyway.

Inspectors are either lazy or bought off... it doesn't work here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Err, people can be electrocuted but not die.

By the new meaning, yes (as pointed out in my comment).  But the word originated literally as "being executed with electricity". created to define the state putting convicts to death through the use of the electric chair.  I'm sure you can see that it is a combination of execute and electricity.

Hence "electrocuted to death" will always sound like "killed to death" to those that don't really embrace the newer definition.  Particularly as some people seem to think that it can mean both, then fail to clarify, as in the original article.

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, johncat1 said:

The blue PVC water pipe was used as an electrcal conduit with the cable inside. A common but very dangerous practice in Thailand. 

Why dangerous? Often they use a yellow or white plastic pipe/conduit which is of a thinner material  than the water pipes. The absence of  elbows, tees, reducers, unions, couplings. junction boxes etc and glue seems to be the issue... the wires coming out and being joined in the open like that, where water can get to it  is terrible work. Of course there being no grounding/earth or fault protection allows  a pole to become live. In this instance the problem happened near a metal fence and power pole..... There was an example on 2nd Rd one time that was simply a puddle of water, .One need not look far to see plenty examples like this around town.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Why dangerous? Often they use a yellow or white plastic pipe/conduit which is of a thinner material  than the water pipes. The absence of  elbows, tees, reducers, unions, couplings. junction boxes etc and glue seems to be the issue... the wires coming out and being joined in the open like that, where water can get to it  is terrible work. Of course there being no grounding/earth or fault protection allows  a pole to become live. In this instance the problem happened near a metal fence and power pole..... There was an example on 2nd Rd one time that was simply a puddle of water, .One need not look far to see plenty examples like this around town.

Pipes are colour coded for a reason, Blue for water pipes and drainage is normal for Thailand. It is dangerous because some unsuspecting  person could cut into a blue pvc water pipe to make a water connection thinking it did in fact carry water. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, johncat1 said:

Pipes are colour coded for a reason, Blue for water pipes and drainage is normal for Thailand. It is dangerous because some unsuspecting  person could cut into a blue pvc water pipe to make a water connection thinking it did in fact carry water. 

Fair point... but in the instance of the  pic.. no cutting needed.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:50 AM, Elkski said:

Isn't it true that 220v is more dangerous that 120v. Or would they both be equally safe if wired with a ground and proper safety breakers?

What does the VOLTAGE (tension) has to do with the death of a person?
An answer from another self-appointed chief engineer at Thaivisa?

A person can touch wires with 10.000 V and hardly feel more than a little chill if ihe power flow i beneath 0.03 Amps.

But if the POWER FLOW is higher as 0,03 Amp, electrocution will happen.

Touching a 12 volt wire with a power pf 0.3 Amp can kill you.

38 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Touching a 12 volt wire with a power pf 0.3 Amp can kill you.

Amps is not a measure of power!

Touching a 12v Source is not very likely to kill you, the body's resistance is enough to limit the current... it can give you a bit of a good tingle... if say touching a boat battery live while stood to the waist in the sea. 

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Amps is not a measure of power!

Touching a 12v Source is not very likely to kill you, the body's resistance is enough to limit the current... it can give you a bit of a good tingle... if say touching a boat battery live while stood to the waist in the sea. 

Given the force of the spark from a direct short on a car battery IMO one might have a problem if one had a dodgy heart and got zapped by such while earthed. I don't intent to try it to see.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given the force of the spark from a direct short on a car battery IMO one might have a problem if one had a dodgy heart and got zapped by such while earthed. I don't intent to try it to see.

Batteries have no fuse and can deliver very high currents to a short circuit...the starting motor needs it. The surprise shock might do more harm....I have been testing PP3 batteries  (9v) on my tongue  since I was a kid.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:50 AM, Elkski said:

Isn't it true that 220v is more dangerous that 120v. Or would they both be equally safe if wired with a ground and proper safety breakers?

It seems like there should be a website and numger to report dangerous looking power situations.  Maybe a reward system but more importantly a way to put responsibility on some entity.   If records show complaints and no action then jury awards would grow bigger.   Just imagine your life going ok.  Playing b-ball and dying picking up a stray ball.   So sad.   

It’s the amperage that’s the real killer. I’ve seen a shipboard electrician (ex navy) lick his fingers and touch some wires and exclaim “Yow. Yep, 440”. I think his boots were probably well insulated. I.know mine were after leaning my butt against a bulkhead while welding.