Bali’s Sex Ban Outside Marriage Won’t Affect Tourism Officials Say

webfact

According to Balinese governor Wayan Koster, “based on the provisions of the new Indonesian criminal code, visitors who visit Bali would not need to worry.” This is because “no checks on marital statuses at tourist accommodations like hotels, villas, guest houses, or spas,” nor inspections by public officials or community groups will be conducted.

I'm betting that there will soon be lots of locals patronizing "accommodations like hotels, villas, guest houses, or spas."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It is not mentioned in the report but in the original news items I read does the law not say something about can only be reported by a parent or similar?

Yes here is one quote - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-06/indonesia-bans-cohabitation-between-unmarried-couples/101739410

Couples can only be prosecuted if they are reported by a spouse, parents or their children.

So if not officially divorced and going away with a new romantic interest and the other partner is aware (and bears a grudge) they could presumably cause you a world of pain......

18 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Basically yes, anyway people will just ignore it?

Sure. But for me there's a difference between individuals ignoring a law, and a government official saying "this particular law will be easy for you to get away with".

• Like 2

I do not trust Muslim governments. The Taliban promised girls would continue to receive education.

Words on the wind.

If passport surnames don't match does it mean you aren't married? Some women keep their original family name.

Do you have to carry a marriage certificate always? How many carry a marriage certificate on holiday?

Yes, officials may say the law doesn't affect foreigners.

Just to be safe, better not visit anywhere in Indonesia where fanatics will piously report you regardless of their relationship to you and you will get caned.

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

I do not trust Muslim governments. The Taliban promised girls would continue to receive education.

Words on the wind.

If passport surnames don't match does it mean you aren't married? Some women keep their original family name.

Do you have to carry a marriage certificate always? How many carry a marriage certificate on holiday?

Yes, officials may say the law doesn't affect foreigners.

Just to be safe, better not visit anywhere in Indonesia where fanatics will piously report you regardless of their relationship to you and you will get caned.

Exactly.

<deleted> em.

Who do you they think they are?

You can visit a number of other countries in the world ????

• Like 1

It's probably best for government to stay out of people's bedroom.  I can imagine how it will work out when a gay, married couple gets reported.  Or an Indonesian national is having a fling with a foreign national?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, still kicking said:
11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Never trust a muslim based government. never works out well in the end

Bali is Hindi mostly

And the Indonesian government is mostly ???????…..   erm…..

This is a shariafication and a puritanical step backwards…. Kind of like the thin end of the wedge towards an authoritarian Ayatollah-like governance. 

Potentially frightening stuff really when such laws are even considered pet alone passed. 

9 hours ago, Purdey said:

A digital copy is available online (Dropbox).

& yes, in the Middle East, we have in the past but don’t bother any more. 

Its a invasive puritanical & stupid rule which highlights how backwards some of these countries are even before scratching the surface. 

6 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Yes, I know what you mean but it will not affect the Tourist from the west 

You mean it will be selectively unenforced ?…..

I’d think so too, but always a worry giving authorities an upper hand for them to apply on a whim or a crack-down…..

Its not the law itself which is concerning here, as that is almost impossible to enforce….
It is the how this seemingly innocuous issue is handled and how such policies place the finger on the pulse of opinion & underlying attitudes which draws concern. 

Edited by richard_smith237