Is it really possible to be here with 6 years overstay

I know how it feels to be in overstay as I was myself few months ago. Go out, pay the fine, back with the proper visa. This weekend I come to meet a friend in Isan and, in his little town, he has a guy with 6 years overstay. Is that really possible that someone can "hide" here with a huge overstay? 

33 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

If you are out in the 'sticks' as it were, then quite possibly, just don't go to Phuket or Pattaya?

The smart BMW's will catch you?????

Yes. My friend told me he never moved from the small town for years. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What would you do if you had already a year or two overstay and you want to stay in Thailand, i.e. because of your family. I think with that overstay there is no legal way to stay here or even go away and return sometime soon.

So I guess some guys just stay and hope for the best.

what do they do when the passport runs out as well?

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, proton said:

what do they do when the passport runs out as well?

He won’t travel abroad anyway, so not really important.

Police never randomly asked to see my passport to check my permission to stay stamp, I would say the chance to be caught on overstay is nearly 0 if you never reported your current address to immigration.

Thus I would expect that there are many people with decades of overstay.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, proton said:

You cannot leave, cannot show it at a bank, cannot present it at a hospital or a hotel, Dead man walking

Most of them probably have a Thai spouse, so they can just their spouse's bank account, and their spouse's ID card when checking at a hotel.
Actual limitations with an expired passport:

- Can't renew their driving license, so when ending up in a police checkpoint they have to pay a fine for no license, but I guess many of them live out in the sticks, there are just no traffic check points.

- Can't fly

- Hospital visit might be problematic, but I assume this can somehow be handled.

• Like 1