Flybird Condo

JimTripper

1 minute ago, Onerak said:

If OP is renting now 18K/month, I bet he can't live here.

A bet I wouldn't take. As I said, personally I couldn't but then again, each to their own.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn, Sukhumvit Soi 22 in Bangkok for a few days when it first opened, standard room is 28 sqm (the reason why I now check room sizes when booking hotels!), almost went stir crazy and that was basically using it as just a place to sleep, no way could I "live" in a place that size or smaller.

3 minutes ago, Onerak said:

This is good for giving as a gift to your Pattaya sugar baby for her contribution to make you enjoy her silky smooth body in her birthday suit. ????

Speaking from experience? ????

A hot sugar mommy (or two+) could be fun but sadly time is slipping away.

51 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So many, who have lived in houses most of their lives move here and seem to be quite content in 35-50 sqm of something I find akin to a bedsit, like back in my student days. A sea view, and a balcony to sit out on, with a cold beer balanced on the AC unit, next to the drying M&S undies... 

Less discerning with age..... less to maintain and keep clean.....and cheap.

The reason people don’t do it in other countries, like the USA for example, who don’t absolutely have to, is because with cheap and small you get nasty crime. Anything small like this you would be living with ghetto, drugs and crime and risking being shot or stabbed.

Thailand and many parts of Asia are unusual in that you can live cheap and small and not be at much personal risk.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 7:39 AM, JimTripper said:

I usually pay around 18-20k a month in rent so it would break even in under 2 years.

Or for those two years you could rent a unit in much nicer condition than that for 5000bt/month, and in two years time you'll have saved yourself up to 300,000 in cash that you can spend or save as and how you like without being tied to a condo unit that you may not be able to sell when you need to.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

After seeing some of the other units in the building I have lost interest. Look at this unit for 350k. That’s pretty depressing. I think I would rather just rent a nicer place.

That's the one I posted. You can buy that one and your initial one for 700,000 Bht ????

• Thanks 1

Have you ever been to the flybird? I suggest you go see it.
the problem is not the 26sqm. it is what surrounds them.
that condo is a thai ghetto. the photo of the pool is photoshopped. it is a sewer.

first time i went there in 2017 there were 3 thais smoking ice on the emergency stairs next to the room for sale.

i checked the place a few months ago and the situation wasn't improved. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

check AirB&B or rental agents or friends....stay a week in a similar apt....or the same building...I call them shoe boxes and some people love them....lots of Thais buy them on spec on the drip/payments....check if it gets full sun or not...it could be an oven...some condos will sneak cooking gas in so you can cook on the balcony otherwise ita stove tops and micros....

1 hour ago, sustanon said:

irst time i went there in 2017 there were 3 thais smoking ice on the emergency stairs next to the room for sale.

I rented a similar condo in OnNut I think around 2016/2017 before I moved to Pattaya. The condo was OK (I think it was in OnNut soi 10) but it was drug sellers den. One day my the then sugar baby came to the condo and she said oh now I you could buy ice from here many people sell ice in this condo. ????

On 12/18/2022 at 4:35 PM, CharlieH said:

Seems too good to be true to be honest.????

Yeah but with these interest rates going up worldwide, there's gotta be some desparados out there. There will be some deals coming up. 

I'd just be a little concerned about the name. Keep some Red Bull in the fridge I guess. It gives you wings 

On 12/19/2022 at 5:40 AM, Keep Right said:

I have seen prison cells look better than that. I am sure you do not live this way in your Western country, why live that way here? I just do not get it.

Maybe because some ppl choose to live here on modest investment income or pension. And have all day free to themselves. Instead of living in the west which would require at least a part time job. Pick your prison. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, d4dang said:

check AirB&B or rental agents or friends....stay a week in a similar apt....or the same building...I call them shoe boxes and some people love them....lots of Thais buy them on spec on the drip/payments....check if it gets full sun or not...it could be an oven...some condos will sneak cooking gas in so you can cook on the balcony otherwise ita stove tops and micros....

Op was looking at Nirun and Flybird is a step down. It's a classic "you can't polish a turd". Foreign quota will be available as its predominantly thai quota used for obvious reasons. Better to go up to nearer a million baht elsewhere at an older but well maintained condo block.

A few years ago they tried to auction many of these off, may have been as many as 20-50, it failed badly, lack of interest 

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

On 12/18/2022 at 7:49 PM, hotandsticky said:

You wouldn't pay anything like that for a small room in Pattaya. Your comparison should be with 5k pm.

7 years payback if you take into account annual maintenance costs

I think 5K is a little high, more like 3-4K. I know several Thais that have same size room and they pay 2K 2.5K

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Op was looking at Nirun and Flybird is a step down. It's a classic "you can't polish a turd". Foreign quota will be available as its predominantly thai quota used for obvious reasons. Better to go up to nearer a million baht elsewhere at an older but well maintained condo block.

What’s the next step down, those cinderblock rooms that resemble shantytowns, or are there worse condos then Flybird?

1 hour ago, bang saen guy said:

The condo's condition is not the main issue. Flybird is not a safe place to live.

Security an issue. Many years ago I happened to be acquainted with an impenious Ozzie attempting to portray himself as badass stud on the cheap. Not very bright, but quite a character.

He lived at Flybird for a time. In furtherance of his image, he'd bought a Honda Steed on credit for B70,000, financed by the previous farang owner.

A couple of months after he bought it, he needed to make a visa run. Very strong guy, worked out regularly, so he was somehow able to push his Steed up the stairs to his room on the 4th floor of Flybird and securely locked the door.

Came back a couple of weeks later, and it was SHOCK! gone. Not long thereafter he disappeared into Cambodia. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2022 at 2:07 AM, newnative said:

I would check to see if foreign quota is available as that is a big plus if it is.  If it isn't, you have to set up a company to buy in company name and there is paperwork, with expenses, that needs to be filed every year. 

Isn't setting up a Thai company solely for the purpose of property ownership illegal in Thailand? 

Happy to be corrected on this, but if it is illegal, that's quite poor advice coming from the forum's resident real estate agent. 

On 12/19/2022 at 2:07 AM, newnative said:

People go through the hassle of company ownership so they can buy houses and nice condos in desirable projects, such as Northshore, where foreign quota is full. 

This is illegal, right?

Why are you advising people to do illegal things? 

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

This is illegal, right?

Why are you advising people to do illegal things? 

Where exactly in that sentence am I 'advising'?   Stating a fact is not the same thing as 'advising'--except, apparently, with you.   If I say, 'Some people use agents to facilitate their retirement visas.', would that statement of fact also be interpreted as 'advising' people to use agents?  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Flybird is a sh__hole...fullstop

I thought a lot about this. I have lived in many <deleted>hole environments but have always been ok with it as long as my unit was clean and secure, but what I did not realize was I was always passing through and not in a permanent situation. Like the small room hotel someone mentioned above.

I always had an “out”, a nice backup property empty to vacate to that I considered home so I never became the place I was living in. My mindset was never corrupted by the environment so it seemed tolerable.

That’s much different than living there for years or retiring there. Living in a place that’s <deleted> starts making you feel poor and down and out and it changes the behavior and mindset because I know I’m stuck there and it’s the end of the road.

Edited by JimTripper

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

I thought a lot about this. I have lived in many <deleted>hole environments but have always been ok with it as long as my unit was clean and secure, but what I did not realize was I was always passing through and not in a permanent situation. Like the small room hotel someone mentioned above.

I always had an “out”, a nice place to vacate to so I never became the place I was living in. My mindset was never corrupted by the environment so it seemed tolerable.

That’s much different than living there for years or retiring there. Living in a place that’s <deleted> starts making you feel poor and down and out and it changes the behavior and mindset. 

Ergo  why some who live like that end up joining the flyers club or drinking themselves into an early grave as they can't see things in a different light.  It becomes depressing when you have 4 walls that seem to close in on you and your elderly and it becomes hard to get about.

I think Flybird the rock bottom for cheap condos..........

Let's say you're already 65, 70 years old..... Would anyone really want to spend the last 10-25 years of their life living in a depressing dump?

Just rent....

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

Isn't setting up a Thai company solely for the purpose of property ownership illegal in Thailand? 

Happy to be corrected on this, but if it is illegal, that's quite poor advice coming from the forum's resident real estate agent. 

As always, I am not and have never been a real estate agent, here or anywhere else.  As I have stated before, I am far too lazy and far too impatient to do all the hard work involved with being an agent.  I certainly appreciate them, and have benefitted from the hard work many have done on my behalf.   See my previous post regarding my thoughts on your 'advice' and 'advising' comments.

• Thumbs Up 1