What is happening at Roi et Airport?

Bangkok Barry

I used Roi Et airport at the weekend and discovered that it's undergoing a pretty bit expansion. Which surprised me, as at least two airlines dumped it quite recently and now it has only three flights a day from Air Asia. If they leave too, then what? And why spend many millions enlarging an airport that could handle the daily load from a large cabin?

Wikipedia note:

Expansion[edit]

In 2020, Roi Et airport, would receive 110 million baht to raise its annual handling capacity to 750,000 passengers.[7]

Roi Et airport has commenced it's expansion and renovation project which is currently under construction. This project will increase a passenger handling capacity of the airport to 1.2 million passengers per year and the project will complete in December, 2022.

• Thanks 1

I've never used it although being in Mahasarakham  it might be a useful alternative to Khon Kaen.

As well as the long lead times on these sort of projects maybe they think a better airport might attract more passengers and airlines. As I say I've never been there so is it a good airport to use or not?