Why is Thai immigration so <deleted>ty?

Thai immigration department is a conglomerate on itself, what with the shenanigan's of dealing with agents with a huge pack of passports belongs to faceless people who pays for that service from home and never mind 400-800,000 baht and many other short cuts for the right people, so with with the Imm. department you need to dance to their tune as sill and annoying as it sounds and feels...

• Like 2

At the end of the day, “visas” really act as an administrative advance documentation check if you will.. think of it as a “pre” approval..

but… it is in in most all countries, the mere fact that a foreigner holds a legitimately obtained visa, does not then somehow automatically mean you’ll be admitted nor does it prohibit the local on-site immigration officials from verifying your eligibility for entry *at the time of your actual arrival* in the country..

It is what it is… and to be fair to Thailand, IMHO, not unique to Thailand nor a practice that’s not equally used around the world either 

• Like 1

You’re not really a tourist but have a tourist visa. They’ll dig a bit on every one-in-so-many that doesn’t quite fit. Can also attest to the hassle of visiting the US (pre-911) even with minimal previous visits. I’ll take Thai immigration any day over that kind of ‘welcome’, thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe a silly question but why on Earth does an immigration officer need to see you boarding pass once you have arrived? 
On departure I would understand, although there as well it is irrelevant. What counts is valid travel papers and, depending on local regulations, presentation of a visa which allows to arrive in the country. Access into the country remains at the decision of the immigration department as per pre-defined rules. 

Hence, what is that story with the boarding pass now? 

5 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Maybe a silly question but why on Earth does an immigration officer need to see you boarding pass once you have arrived? 
On departure I would understand, although there as well it is irrelevant. What counts is valid travel papers and, depending on local regulations, presentation of a visa which allows to arrive in the country. Access into the country remains at the decision of the immigration department as per pre-defined rules. 

good question..

another one:   when i went to jomtiem immigration to extend my 60 day tourist visa an extra 30 days they wanted a copy of my original e visa which of course i had shown to bkk immigration on arrival and there was no problem and it was all stamped into my passport tourist visa and given 60 days...so the jomtiem  immigration want to see what bkk immigration had already seen 60 days before...not sure why but pull it up on phone and show it to them... but NO have to provide a printed copy to them...so  back to the copy place to get printed  to give them a copy of the original tourist visa provided by the thai govt and already looked at and approved by bkk immigration.....can't think of any reason why they need printed copy but they were insistent so no choice.  Nothing weird or suspicious  re my visits or previous visas to thailand and haven't even been here in 3 years....Any idea why this was required?

22 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Previously all non Thais would have to fill out a landing card and this would have your flight details on it and the flight number is always hand written near the entry and departure stamps.

The Landing cards have been suspended at the moment ,hence the need to give Immigration your boarding pass.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Immigration officials will ask questions in any country you are entering.  They will ask as many as they feel necessary.  
If you show you are hesitant or act bothered.  You will look suspicious and they will ask even more questions.  Possibility taking you to a private area 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, sezze said:

Look at people from Thailand are handled with correct paperwork are handled by EU immigration officers . They are actually set apart and do get a 10 min talk/investigation (did bring in my GF for a holiday over few years ago).

And this coming on top of the various bureaucratic hurdles which you and your GF no doubt had to surmount in order to obtain the necessary Schengen visa for her (which appears to me to require considerably more effort being expended than that required by a Westerner in obtaining a tourist visa for Thailand).

@gejohesch - so is it really the case that you and your GF have, to date, never attempted to obtain a Schengen visa to enable her to visit your home country, then?

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, pomchop said:

good question..

another one:   when i went to jomtiem immigration to extend my 60 day tourist visa an extra 30 days they wanted a copy of my original e visa which of course i had shown to bkk immigration on arrival and there was no problem and it was all stamped into my passport tourist visa and given 60 days...so the jomtiem  immigration want to see what bkk immigration had already seen 60 days before...not sure why but pull it up on phone and show it to them... but NO have to provide a printed copy to them...so  back to the copy place to get printed  to give them a copy of the original tourist visa provided by the thai govt and already looked at and approved by bkk immigration.....can't think of any reason why they need printed copy but they were insistent so no choice.  Nothing weird or suspicious  re my visits or previous visas to thailand and haven't even been here in 3 years....Any idea why this was required?

You are so naive. To get an extension of any kind, even a 1 year extension of stay. You need paper copies of previous visa, entry stamp, copy of previous extension. Its always been like that, surprised you dont know.

IMO the IO saw something in the OP's passport that did not jibe with the OP's details on other documents. Perhaps he wanted the boarding pass to check if the OP was arriving from his country of birth.

I've only encountered a rude IO once, IME most are courteous and helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

There has been a requirement for a long time to show boarding card, how would the IO check what you put on the landing card.

In current times with no landing card it would be more of a requirement. Also with the introduction of the E-visa it is not surprising the IO would want to see proof of journey origin. You cannot rule out the possibility of people trying to abuse the E-visa system, can you.

As pointed out in other posts, a visa is nothing more than permission to apply for entry to Thailand at an entry point. The IO makes an independent evaluation and decision to grant, or refuse, entry. That's pretty much the standard in most countries is far as I know.

As for shxttxyness of Thai immigration, my Thai wife and I maintain residences in the US and Thailand, and while I have been consistently treated in a professional manner on return to Thailand, the treatment of my wife by US immigration has often been abusive, even cruel. I guess the EU isn't like that.

(And thanks for the word shxttx. It's almost Shakespearean.) 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 sides to every story ... maybe you fit the look and disposition of undesirable folks coming to TH, and he was simply doing his job.

Many undesirables are caught out during questioning.  Kudos to IO for taking the time and effort.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jimn said:

You are so naive. To get an extension of any kind, even a 1 year extension of stay. You need paper copies of previous visa, entry stamp, copy of previous extension. Its always been like that, surprised you dont know.

Quite.  As a sticker in your passport the visa was just another copy. Now the E-visa is separate it has become an inconvenience and a complaint.

1 hour ago, essex boys said:

Immigration just doing their job, they have the right to ask you questions and request your travel documents regarding  your travel to and your stay in Thailand, it’s no different than any other country, and even if your paperwork is correct they can still refuse you entry,  even those that live here are not guaranteed that their yearly extension of stay will be approved. But now you are here enjoy your stay 

All quite true.  I would add one further comment, despite the arrogance of many who look to enter the Country, thinking that they have an absolute right to admittance,  Thai immigration do not have any remit to admit anyone, or ease their time here, or in any way to facilitate their visit.  Their only remit is to apply Immigration Law as each IO sees fit. The message: live with that or don't come. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1