THAI looks to add 9 more aircraft to its fleet of 61 in 2023 as demand for travel picks up, looks to divest many of its idle aircrafts

webfact

image.jpeg

By Thanaphum Charoensombatpanich

Thailand’s embattled national carrier, Thai Airways International Plc (THAI), said it was looking to add 9 more aircraft to its fleet as its passenger load factor continues to rise.

THAI, which is still undergoing its bankruptcy restructuring process after its already loss-making business was severely impacted by the outbreak of Covid-19 in 2020, said it was looking to bring into service some of the parked aircrafts it has in its fleet and it was also looking to lease as many as 4 Airbus A350-900s during 2023.

Suvadhana Sibunruang, the acting Chief Executive Officer of THAI, said the plan was to bring in service as many as 5 (badly) parked aircrafts that can be seen at Suvarnabhumi Airport tarmac, into service.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/46895/thai-looks-to-add-9-more-aircraft-to-its-fleet-of-61-in-2023-as-demand-for-travel-picks-up-looks-to-divest-many-of-its-idle-aircrafts/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-12-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

would any broker be game enough to lease 4 planes to this company in light of their past history.

Yes , as with any airline . Past years ( 2020-2021) have been extremely bad for any airline , reasons why , don't need to clarify . Now it is a new era , past the 2020-21 years , with new future ahead . Etihad is going back to A380's , as well as some other companies . There are planes being ordered in large amounts , and long distance flights are now not only expensive but also full . Thai Airways , in any chance of survival/business , needs good airplanes . A350's are extremely attractive , meaning , for passengers who do travel a bit and are looking for a nice aircraft to get a seat in it is actually nr2 on the list . Most people do not care , but on the other hand they do , bad experience in flight they choose another next time.

The list for long distance is A380-A350-787 and all the rest , much further behind .

• Like 1

My Math professor, back in the day, taught us all COMPLETELY wrong. 

A company with a reported accrued loss of USD 10 billion (a year ago), still not having been able to refund thousands of passenger claims for services sold but not provided is now in the process of getting some additional new toys by a supplier who expects to be compensated by selling or leasing aircrafts? 

Less than six months ago they hoorayed the delivery of three brand-new B777, featuring First Class cabins (again). 

Another reason to certainly NOT fly Thai Airways or any of their Low Cost Carrier involvements .... my long, long overdue refund is apparently used now for subsidizing yet another "deal" ...... go figure! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lujanit said:

As long as British Airways (speedbird) and other major airlines continue to not fly here Thai will continue to have a monopoly in Bangkok.

Some "not major" airlines arriving to Bangkok today (listed from Suvarnabhumi airport arrivals - https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures/) :

Japan Airlines, All Nippon Airways (ANA), Air Canada, SriLankan Airlines, Qatar Airways, FinnAir, Oman Air, Air India, Etihad, Scoot, Greater Bay Airlines, Air Asia, Bangkok Airways, Thai Airways, Thai Smile, Myanmar Airlines, Air Astana, Jetstar, Gulf Air, China Airlines, Hong Kong Express, Cebu Pacific, Turkish Airlines, Vietnam Airlines, Swiss, Cathay Pacific, EVA Air, Aeroflot, El Al, Royal Brunei, Philippines Airlines, Korean Air, Malaysia Airlines, Starlux, KLM, Royal Jordanian, IndiGo, Saudia, Biman, Austrian, Shanghai Airlines, Qantas, Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Air India, VietJet, SpiceJet, Lao Airlines, Go First, Kenya Airways, US-Bangla Airlines, Spring Airlines, Ethiopian Airlines, Lanmei Airlines, Kunming Airlines, Bamboo Airways, Cambodia Airways,...

I guess British Airways must be one of the very few "major airlines" and only their arrival would deal a blow to THAI airways' monopoly in Bangkok...?

Edited by tomazbodner
added link to airport arrivals
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Thai air expensive tickets and a insatiable appetite for state money.... 

Speak as I find. I have flown with them three times this year (BKK-LHR in August and BKK-LHR-BKK last month). No air fare is cheap these days but Thai was very competitive on each occasion (unless you want to fly Scoot or have a couple of stops in various european cities). I do prefer Emirates (for their standard of service and the break in Dubai) but, in the summer, their prices were high and for the return trip last month, their website was playing up and kept trying to send me to Stanstead! They were also still a bit more expensive than Thai.

The flights were pretty full and the service was adequate on each occasion. I don't mind if the Thai government is chipping in to the cost of my tickets, I give enough to the Thai economy while I am here! 

I always fly in business class due to a physical need and Thai Airways are over priced for their product. I was a gold card member with them because their direct flights are very convenient and I flew every month with them but in the end I decided that I couldn't justify their price versus product delivery. Many better airlines in regards to price versus product.

On 12/19/2022 at 9:48 PM, Captain Monday said:

"parked aircrafts"

Is that UK English?

No.

It is Thai English.

That means you understood what was meant, but decided to anally post this commenting about the grammar used, rather than make any meaningful comment about what the article was actually about. Well done! You have added another "useful post" to your forum post count!

• Thumbs Up 1