Navy Slammed Over Missing Sailors, Sunk Ship

webfact

18 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

No doubt there were the correct number of life jackets. Now, the crewmen recovered from the sea that weren't wearing a life jacket is another matter; 'why' would be the question. 

Don't even ask why the boat wasn't prepped for heavy seas. Oh, the next question would be; was the ship rigged for heavy seas? 

Think the question should be expanded, are the Thai defence forces prepped for anything other than glitz and glamour? 

all shown and no go. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So sad for the loss of these young Thai sailors.

My (ex) Thai brother-in-law was a captain in the Thai navy. That was captain of a desk in Bangkok. He couldn't swim and got seasick every time boarding a boat. I was astounded at this during one Songkhran off the coast of Trang. And they want submarines?

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

I am wondering why is nobody talking yet about a National Day of Mourning for the victims...It should be done as a respect for them...

Like TAT, all Thais are born with rose-coloured spectacles.  They still believe the missing are going to turn up on a beach in Bali whilst clinging to a polystyrene box.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe some of the AN mob can shed light on this;

The photo I saw of the ship listing heavily as it took on water before sinking was a decent section of the hull plating was simply missing on the starboard side (I think the photo I saw showed the vessel listing heavily to port?).

As a sailor, literally since being in nappies, and open ocean cred and some nautical smarts, I fail to understand how in a reasonably rough but certainly not horrendous sea a steel naval vessel delaminated lie that.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Move Forward MP doubted that the navy corvette had had the number of life jackets and inflatable boats available for emergency use in proportion to that of its crewmembers and others, reportedly totaling 106

Thai navy playing amateur hour

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

He couldn't swim and got seasick every time boarding a boat.

I think if you want to join the Navy the first thing the Navy has to do is teaching how to swim...Suppose in a war and you a navy with soldiers who can't swim..That would be easy for the enemy..Again education is so needed .. How many of the lost cadets now could swim??? if not no wonder there are so many casualties.

38 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I think if you want to join the Navy the first thing the Navy has to do is teaching how to swim...Suppose in a war and you a navy with soldiers who can't swim..That would be easy for the enemy..Again education is so needed .. How many of the lost cadets now could swim??? if not no wonder there are so many casualties.

They were all good swimmers. That is a pre-requisite of any navy man. That was not the issue. Swimming in 10 foot seas, with gusting wind can bring down alot of experienced swimmers. The life preservers, or lack of, is the real issue here, and the real crime here. Heads need to roll. 

• Like 2