Brexit has cracked Britain’s economic foundations

webfact

1 minute ago, fvw53 said:

Why not mention the freedom which came with Brexit to negotiate "free trade" deals with Vanuatu, Tonga, Fiji etc...

Hardly enough to compensate for the loss from exports to the EU and companies moving out of the UK due to the difficulty to trade with the EU.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, roquefort said:

It is partly to do with the war in Ukraine, very little to do with Brexit, and mostly due the the vast amount of funny money that has been conjured out of thin air by central banks since 2008. The Magic Money Tree, handouts for people to stay at home during Covid, government spending on an unprecedented scale - these are the real reasons for the cost of living crisis.

Inflation is caused by too much money chasing a limited supply of goods and services.

It’s also caused by a restriction in the close of goods and services.

Which is why the UK is the only G7 nation that has not recovered it’s economy to pre-COVID levels.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bob smith said:

The UK is on its way to becoming a failed state.

Just look at the state of public service sector and inflation, it's a disgrace.

I regularly talk to people who live there and they tell me just how bleak their lives really are.

Most, if not all whom I know that voted for brexit wishes they could turn back the clock and vote differently. 

And the majority of people that voted remain still don't understand that they are the root cause of the Brexit vote

The majority of funding went to London and area's where lobbyist's hadtheir pet projects the rest of the country received token crumb's from London's  elite

Britain’s EU Problem is a London Problem

Huge swathes of England outside of London voted to Leave the European Union, because of a feeling of exclusion that has been growing since Thatcher’s 1980s.

https://www.dissentmagazine.org/blog/britains-eu-problem-london-problem

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suspect you are being choosy with your measure of ‘slightly better’.

So UK being better than Germany in something Germany the strongest richest country in EU means nothing, really. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

saw on the news that there were certain (what were almost) 'institutions' that the UK was going to have stop; Early morning milk delivery (to your door) was one of them

A:that had nothing to do with the EU. 

B: you can still get milk delivered to your door if a dairy is willing to do it. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/11/milk-floats-ride-to-the-rescue-of-locked-down-british-households

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29327881.amp

• Like 2

An off topic multi quote post dragged in from other topics has been removed.

7. Do not quote more than three multiple nested quotes. Only quote the person you are replying to, and only quote the relevant section that you are discussing.

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

I regularly talk to people who live there and they tell me just how bleak their lives really are.

Me too!

Sadly their lives were equally bleak before Brexit.

One of the reasons they voted to leave the EU was they were hoping for change.

As that News guy (Jonathan Pie) used to say,

A vote for Brexit was a vote for a change.

A vote to remain was a vote for no change.

38 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The neglect of regions outside London is down to the Conservatives. London still votes largely Labour.

North hit by spending cuts since Tory austerity while South sees increase in government money, study finds
The North has been hit hardest by public spending cuts since the coalition government launched its austerity programme, while the South has seen an increase in funds, according to an in-depth study.

Total public spending in the North has fallen £6.3bn since 2009/10, more than any other region, think tank IPPR North concluded.

The South East and South West, meanwhile, has seen a £3.2bn rise.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/north-south-divide-tory-austerity-conservatives-government-cameron-recession-a8667666.html

The article I quoted from stated the rot started since the 1980's

Huge swathes of England outside of London voted to Leave the European Union, because of a feeling of exclusion that has been growing since Thatcher’s 1980s.

Your link mentions the coalition (Conservative–Liberal Democrat coalition 2010-2015)

Can only assume that Labour did nothing to reduce the North-South divide

It would be interesting if the UK had a rotational parliament maybe London and Sunderland similar to the EU with  Strasbourg and Brussels

4 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I live in the Uk 6 months of the year and I can tell you that the number of people now fitting into this category is huge (well to be honest they have not reached the rectified stage yet just the realisation they were duped in a game of political darts).

In the last year I don't think I have personally met anyone (pub, family, friends, chatting) who does not think they were conned as Brexit voters. I am from the north as well. 

You should get around more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JayClay said:

I don't think it's fair or productive to call people who voted to leave as "idiots". There were huge amounts of money involved in the propaganda campaign.

People were tricked. And if the UK is going to eventually align itself back with the EU it's important for people to understand that they were tricked in the first place. It's never an easy thing for one to admit that they were wrong, especially when considering the gravity of the consequences of the leave decision. The last thing they need to be reading is that people regard them as "idiots".

I have nothing but respect for people who can say "I made a mistake, we made a mistake, and it needs to be rectified".

Obviously there will always be the most ardent "Brexit at any cost" people. But they aren't, and never were, significant in numbers. Unfortunately the voting system we have means that this tiny minority have managed to take over the conservative party and therefore have control of the country. That won't be for much longer, thankfully.

Many people do understand that they were tricked in the first place. 1972.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Me too!

Sadly their lives were equally bleak before Brexit.

One of the reasons they voted to leave the EU was they were hoping for change.

As that News guy (Jonathan Pie) used to say,

A vote for Brexit was a vote for a change.

A vote to remain was a vote for no change.

Jonathan Pie is a comedic fictional character not a news guy.