Doomsday warnings for 2023

Social Media

54 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

But once you can see through the lies....you can never go back to believing them again......

I doubt you will convince anymore. People will just think you're nuts.

The question is ... why would they hide that the earth is flat? For what nefarious purpose? 

• Like 1

Here is a test anyone can do....

First science says the Earth is spinning at 1,000 miles a hour.....Everyone knows this.....

Now think back to when you looked out the window of a airline which was most likely going 500 600 mph.....The clouds were moving pretty fast under or over the plane..

Now look up at the clouds in the sky.....Do they look like they are moving at 1,000 mph?.....Nope they sure do not...........The clouds are barely moving....

Why?.......Because we don't live on a spinning ball.....

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Incredibly simple, because the clouds are spinning with the earth. As is the atmosphere.

answer to your next question: air has mass.

Even if the clouds were spinning with the earth......There would be much more cloud movement than we see where the clouds just hang around in the sky for hours and hours...Come on.....1000mph is like a hurricane....And we don't notice even the slightest movement at all....Nothing whatsoever?......

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

It is a way to be seen and heard, as many other arenas, and this is where they can manipulate each other and find common ground without harming anyone. Others becomes left or right just by coincidence or because of the society around them is what they become.  Others rebels what they learned, and research have shown there is very little difference’s  in the personalities who become an extreme left, right or extreme religious. For the alpha males, they find places where they see they manage to find a position, and the rest of followers just swallow and become yes people to serve their purposes, convinced by fake news, researchers and statistics. 

Sad, but true, flat earthers need something to believe in to, and who do they harm believing the earth is flat? I like flat earthers ????☝️????

"Sad, but true, flat earthers need something to believe in to, and who do they harm believing the earth is flat? I like flat earthers"

I would agree with that if it was confined to that alone, the problem being flat earth is the ultimate conspiracy theory, when you are at that stage then you also believe in the whole education system being pure indoctrination. Science no longer exists. They also believe in all the other conspiracies such as anti vax, climate change, the list goes on, after all NASA to them is evil.

Spreading these pure false beliefs onto others especially the kids is wrong. Let them have their conventions and talk among themselves, fine by me.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Even if the clouds were spinning with the earth......There would be much more cloud movement than we see where the clouds just hang around in the sky for hours and hours...Come on.....1000mph is like a hurricane....And we don't notice even the slightest movement at all....Nothing whatsoever?......

The clouds move at the same speed as the Earth. Surely you understand that you would not see any movement under that circumstance? It's basic physics. Oh, wait...

• Like 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

"Sad, but true, flat earthers need something to believe in to, and who do they harm believing the earth is flat? I like flat earthers"

I would agree with that if it was confined to that alone, the problem being flat earth is the ultimate conspiracy theory, when you are at that stage then you also believe in the whole education system being pure indoctrination. Science no longer exists. They also believe in all the other conspiracies such as anti vax, climate change, the list goes on, after all NASA to them is evil.

Spreading these pure false beliefs onto others especially the kids is wrong. Let them have their conventions and talk among themselves, fine by me.

It's not only wrong it's dangerous as the past few years have shown us.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Here is a test anyone can do....

First science says the Earth is spinning at 1,000 miles a hour.....Everyone knows this.....

Now think back to when you looked out the window of a airline which was most likely going 500 600 mph.....The clouds were moving pretty fast under or over the plane..

Now look up at the clouds in the sky.....Do they look like they are moving at 1,000 mph?.....Nope they sure do not...........The clouds are barely moving....

Why?.......Because we don't live on a spinning ball.....

Here's an even easier test for you, ask a passenger jet pilot if he believes in flat earth...........lol 

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

Remember Pizzagate? It was proof that conspiracy theorists are a danger to society and it probably hasn't gone away any more than flat earthers have gone away.

This was very prophetic in 2019.

If Trump’s embrace of the Ukraine conspiracy doesn’t sink his political future by leading to impeachment, it may nonetheless signal that his political future is bleak.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/10/21/why-americans-turn-conspiracy-theories/

and this

In 1964, The New York Times said conspiracy theories had “grown weed like in this country.”

https://theconversation.com/are-conspiracy-theories-on-the-rise-in-the-us-121968

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well it is nice just for a second to think positive about something and make them harmless. I know, and being a middle man finding truths, lies and stupidity on both ends, life is hard realizing the world and to many people is just deleted! Simple as that! 

And people experiencing anxiety or a sense of disorder, those who crave cognitive closure, may be even more reliant on those cognitive shortcuts to make sense of the world, says Marta Marchlewska, a social and political psychologist who studies conspiracy theories at the Polish Academy of Sciences.

Another psychological factor that can lead to belief in conspiracies is what experts call “collective narcissism,” or a group’s inflated belief in its own significance. Marchlewska’s research suggests that collective narcissists are apt to look for imaginary enemies and adopt conspiracy explanations that blame them.

This urge is particularly strong when narcissistic people fail, or members of their group fail.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/why-people-latch-on-to-conspiracy-theories-according-to-science

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

as opposed to what? individual narcissim? most people i've met in my life are narcissistic. has nothing to do with conspiracies.

They weren't my words. Your arguing against a Polish academic. Your contention that conspiracy theories and narcissism aren't linked is just your opinion. Got any evidence that's the case and she's wrong?

Narcissism—a conviction about one's superiority and entitlement to special treatment—is a robust predictor of belief in conspiracy theories. Recent developments in the study of narcissism suggest that it has three components: antagonism, agentic extraversion, and neuroticism. We argue that each of these components of narcissism might predispose people to endorse conspiracy theories due to different psychological processes.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352250X22001051

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

Narcissists Seem Drawn to Conspiracy Theories, But Why?

Previous research shows that people identified as narcissists – those with an inflated sense of their own importance, a lack of empathy, and a need for attention – are more likely to be drawn to and believe in conspiracy theories.

A new study offers up four reasons why, based on an analysis of earlier studies: feelings of paranoia, gullibility regarding claims about what is true or otherwise, the need for dominance, and the need for uniqueness. They can all play a part in establishing this link between narcissists and conspiracy theories.

https://www.sciencealert.com/narcissists-seem-drawn-to-conspiracy-theories-but-why

• Like 1

I know you guys hate flat earth videos......So I try and not post any videos were you have to think to much.......But I am making a exception for this one.....

This is the very BEST video about antarctica on the entire internet...I would say this in the top 1% of good flat earth videos...

Edited by redwood1
  • Haha 1

This conversation is getting bookmarked...case study in how the ubiquity of information, coupled with an inability to weigh the sourcing and accuracy of that information leads to a complete junkheap of thinking and conclusions, and that applies to the lefties and righties.  

The title of the thread points to another unintended consequence of unlimited access to bad information; warning fatigue.  Let me simplify that for the professors here...think Chicken Little.  At a certain point it won't matter whether the warnings are accurate/true or false.  They'll simply be ignored.

Edited by Lorenzo Valla
Misspelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, save the frogs said:

if you recall, even donald trump admitted that (some) news is fake.

so do you really need to delve into psychology to explain why people don't trust everything they read?

He didn't admit, he claimed.

Yes, it helps to explain the otherwise mystifying delusions of conspiracy theorists. It's one thing to believe that JFK was assassinated by the CIA because the evidence has been withheld (possibly understandable) but another to believe the earth is flat.

Trump was motivated by pure political gain in spreading conspiracy theories, not that he necessarily believes them but I wouldn't rule that out. He was simply exploiting useful idiots.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lorenzo Valla said:

This conversation is getting bookmarked...case study in how the ubiquity of information, coupled with an inability to weigh the sourcing and accuracy of that information leads to a complete junkheap of thinking and conclusions, and that applies to the lefties and righties.  

The title of the thread points to another unintended consequence of unlimited access to bad information; warning fatigue.  Let me simplify that for the professors here...think Chicken Little.  At a certain point it won't matter whether the warnings are accurate/true or false.  They'll simply be ignored.

From an above linked article.

Have the internet and social media created a climate where Americans believe anything is possible? With headlines citing now as the age of conspiracy, is it really true?

In a word, no.

While it may be true that the internet has allowed people who believe in conspiracies to communicate more, it has not increased the number of Americans who believe in conspiracies, according to the data available.

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

While it may be true that the internet has allowed people who believe in conspiracies to communicate more, it has not increased the number of Americans who believe in conspiracies, according to the data available.

Unfortunately I can't find it now but a couple of years back while debating whether social media is harmful or not I stumbled over a study that would disagree with that. The most interesting part was a table of various conspiracies and a breakdown of the age of those that believed in them (flat earthers was one of the conspiracies listed). There was a definite correlation between the numbers (increased believers) and ages and advent of social media,

26 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

From an above linked article.

Have the internet and social media created a climate where Americans believe anything is possible? With headlines citing now as the age of conspiracy, is it really true?

In a word, no.

I didn't make any assertions about conspiracies in any way (the key indicator being the lack of the word 'conspiracy'), but I thank you for your comment and its applicability to my original premise.

I believe that the worst doomsday scenario facing the US and, by extension, the world is the potential for the breakdown of civil society propelled by the abject corruption of the US Supreme Court. They are determined to create a government of mixed theocracy and oligarchy. It's truly an Orwellian scenario. There will be massive push back in some form or another. I would not suggest that it will be violent but think Vietnam war protests on steroids.

Edited by ozimoron