What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Dom   Gave up on this due to the very poor dubbing, acting and subs

Thanks - just downloaded this but haven't had time to watch.............I did wonder if dubbing was going to be an issue.

2 minutes ago, topt said:

Thanks - just downloaded this but haven't had time to watch.............I did wonder if dubbing was going to be an issue.

I found no problem with the subs.

I don't use dubbing.

Thought series 1 quite good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Dom   Gave up on this due to the very poor dubbing, acting and subs

Just watched the first episode and the words of the subs and the dialogue definitely don't match but not a deal breaker by itself - could switch off for example.....

The acting, well I see where your coming from, but will try the second episode and hope it is less of an issue. 

On 4/21/2023 at 10:12 AM, bamnutsak said:

I'm three eps into The Diplomat, Netflix (8 eps, all dropped) and it is excellent. Shades of Homeland, and The West Wing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NivXuE-SH3Q

yes, The Diplomat is good entertainment, binge-worthy.

I'm disappointed they didn't conclude the storyline within 8 episodes, and I'm left with a cliffhanger.

Massive success, so I guess there will be a season 2 - mid to end 2024 at the earliest.

While it's a very good show, I don't feel it has the stuff to become a classic such as The West Wing - the resemblance is that there are White House staffers at work but that's where similarities end.

The scenario is clearly inspired by real world events, the war in Ukraine is mentioned, and the Russian mercenaries are mentioned in the series to have pushed France out in Mali - clearly, it's Wagner.

As with the Night Agent (good entertainment too), plot twists were a tad predictable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tgw said:

yes, The Diplomat is good entertainment, binge-worthy.

Yes, I finished it, over two days. Loved it, highly recommended 9/10.

I also loved The Night Agent but IMO that is a definite cut below The Diplomat.

I was not disappointed with the ending - it was quite clear that things weren't going to get wrapped up - and I was pleasantly shocked with the ending.

10 hours ago, tgw said:

While it's a very good show, I don't feel it has the stuff to become a classic such as The West Wing - the resemblance is that there are White House staffers at work but that's where similarities end.

Well the dialog, the "walk & talk" style, the inner workings of the Executive branch and of course Debora Cahn, the show creator worked on both the West Wing and Homeland, are the similarities I was referencing.

I'm looking forward to The Citadel on Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0JG6V-12ac

Edited by bamnutsak

First episode of a new season of The Curse aired last night - I wasn't a lover of the first series, considering the actors from People just do nothing and King Gary. Might be worth a look-see. 

I wish King Gary would make a return.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

Enjoying this one.

Pernille Kurzmann Larsen, a fresh-faced nurse at a hospital, begins to question the attention-seeking tendencies of her colleague, Christina Aistrup Hansen. As Pernille delves deeper into her suspicions, she starts to believe that Christina's behavior may be linked to a series of patient deaths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Will27 said:

Enjoying this one.

Pernille Kurzmann Larsen, a fresh-faced nurse at a hospital, begins to question the attention-seeking tendencies of her colleague, Christina Aistrup Hansen. As Pernille delves deeper into her suspicions, she starts to believe that Christina's behavior may be linked to a series of patient deaths.

Thanks for the heads up @Will27. Downloading from TGx now.

• Like 1

I've just started watching season 1 of Liaison. It's a spy thriller about 2 Syrian hackers who have info about terrorist cyber attacks planned to be carried out in the UK and the battle by the UK & French security services to obtain that info. I think it's pretty good so far and worth a look. It's already been mentioned a couple of times in this forum.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14792896/

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 5:40 PM, mikebell said:

Just watched 'Citadel' E1.  Classy & fast moving.

Watched E1 today and then stalled during E2.

I won't be watching this series, it's too far removed from reality and logic for me, and I dislike the visuals.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been watching "designated survivor" with Kiefer Sutherland, finished S01, now starting S02

The first half of S01 was good, and then at episode 14 I got irritated by illogical details, so much in fact that I actually checked wikipedia so see if there had been a change in writers or scenarists, and then read that the series had at first been sold to ABC as 13 episodes. aha, gotcha.

The first 13 episodes were good, but then the story loses depth and intrigue.

The series remains very watchable after that point though.

One thing that already came up several times in what I watched of Designated Survivor so far was that Russia wants to attack Ukraine, even massing troops on the border. eerie premonition.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, tgw said:

Watched E1 today and then stalled during E2.

I won't be watching this series, it's too far removed from reality and logic for me, and I dislike the visuals.

I managed to make it through the first 20 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, tgw said:

I have been watching "designated survivor" with Kiefer Sutherland, finished S01, now starting S02

The first half of S01 was good, and then at episode 14 I got irritated by illogical details, so much in fact that I actually checked wikipedia so see if there had been a change in writers or scenarists, and then read that the series had at first been sold to ABC as 13 episodes. aha, gotcha.

The first 13 episodes were good, but then the story loses depth and intrigue.

The series remains very watchable after that point though.

One thing that already came up several times in what I watched of Designated Survivor so far was that Russia wants to attack Ukraine, even massing troops on the border. eerie premonition.

Thx but after 15 mins watching it, no thx. TOO American. Yak

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I watched "Extraordinary Attorney Woo"

https://www.netflix.com/th-en/title/81518991

https://www.wionews.com/entertainment/park-eun-bins-extraordinary-attorney-woo-sparks-autism-debate-512262

it's a bit difficult to describe in a few words.

the series is extremely well-made, lots of attention to detail and clear images, the actors are very good.

it's not a thriller, it's lighthearted, giving fuzzy warmth from time to time but also touches darker topics.

I was curious to see how a Korean show would treat that subject and also wanted to see more of Korean society than "Squid Game" (*****), "Hellbound" (***) and "My Name" (****) showed me.

the article on wionews.com is correct in saying that the character Woo is unrealistic, but there would be no show with a realistic one. it's more like a pot pourri where autistic persons will recognize some of their traits.

I'd give it **** . I will be watching season 2.

Edited by tgw

I've just started watching Donkerbos season 1. It's a crime drama set in Donkerbos, Limpopo (East of Namibia). This was originally recommended by @petermik a while ago on this forum. I agree with @Rimmers comments about it being similar to a Nordic noir series and that the filming could have been better. Apart from that it seems pretty good and worth a look.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23061236/

It's on TPB, 1337x, kickass & magnetdl.

• Like 1