What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

On 6/10/2023 at 7:36 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just watched a 4 part mini series (from 1999) called Extremely Dangerous. It's  a crime thriller starring Sean Bean who plays a former MI5 agent. After being wrongfully convicted of murdering his family, goes on the run to seek vengeance on those responsible in a world beyond the law. Quite good IMHO and worth a look. I got it from TGx.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205917/

I have just watched this series and wasn't overly impressed with it, although I could say that it was "okay"!

I don't know if it was me or the loose storyline, but I never got to find out what the businessmen in the series actually did, especially one who had ties with a football club? Also, I never did understand what the old guy who was dying in his bed (in hospital) actually did and why there was a great deal of money supposedly involved in a potential payoff. 

I stuck with it until the end and retired to my bed, not really understanding what I had watched!

On 6/7/2023 at 7:57 AM, oxo1947 said:

For Her Sins 

Psychological thriller  Channel 5  UK-  4  episodes

This was the 1st review on IMDB - 'Been done a million times before but rarely as bad as this...a totally ridiculous script with unbelievable bad acting .. the whole cast is totally unpleasant and the storyline is bordering on upsetting. It was called a psychological drama, but I would describe it as a glorified over the top day time soap opera for people who watch night time soap operas.

On a separate note, I have never downloaded an H265 setting movie because I thought it wouldn't work on my TV??

However I downloaded the movie I have just posted about through my normal qBitTorrent and then transferred it to a USB which I played through VLC to my TV, and it worked just fine, so I won't be afraid to seek those out in future if I have to. 

Nice to know!

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 7:36 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just watched a 4 part mini series (from 1999) called Extremely Dangerous. It's  a crime thriller starring Sean Bean who plays a former MI5 agent. After being wrongfully convicted of murdering his family, goes on the run to seek vengeance on those responsible in a world beyond the law. Quite good IMHO and worth a look. I got it from TGx.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205917/

On your recommendation, I watched it & thoroughly enjoyed it. Sean Bean looked to be a heart-throb then.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/18/2023 at 7:56 PM, Skallywag said:

Sisu is pretty amazing, filmed in northern Finland...the Laplands . One man, actor Jorma Tommila is like the John Wick of Finland in 1944, taking on the Nazis.  1337X 

Brilliant film... plenty of action and blood and guts (and other body parts) but a bit predictable.

It is an over-the-top Nazi killing gorefest that will appeal to the John Wick audiences of the world.

My missus and I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Brilliant film... plenty of action and blood and guts (and other body parts) but a bit predictable.

It is an over-the-top Nazi killing gorefest that will appeal to the John Wick audiences of the world.

My missus and I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it too. It's nice to get away from Hollywood movies now and then.

• Like 1

'The Full Monte' returns to the screen as a series (25 years after they bared all); all the old crew are there.  I shudder to think they may get their kit off again.

Edited by mikebell
extra thoughts.
  • Sad 1

Spy/Master is set during the height of the Cold War and covers a week in the life of fictional character Victor Godeanu, the right-hand man and closest advisor to Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceaușescu. However, Godeanu is also a secret agent for the KGB and must escape Romania and Ceaușescu before his cover is blown. With only one shot at staying alive, he uses a diplomatic trip to Germany as a springboard to the United States. Helped by an undercover Stasi agent and former flame, and an up-and-coming CIA agent, Godeanu must elude the KGB and his own country's spooks, fully aware that his defection is putting his family back home in mortal danger.

----

S01 available on the scene.  Who knows when it will make it to the regular torrent sites. 

• Like 1

Just now, gargamon said:

image.png.00e83968305a372288e9b250e9a7887d.png

After barely surviving his grievous wounds from his mission in Dhaka, Bangladesh, Tyler Rake is back, and his team is ready to take on their next mission.

---

On the scene. Torrents??? 

TPB has it... :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, gargamon said:

Spy/Master is set during the height of the Cold War and covers a week in the life of fictional character Victor Godeanu, the right-hand man and closest advisor to Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceaușescu. However, Godeanu is also a secret agent for the KGB and must escape Romania and Ceaușescu before his cover is blown. With only one shot at staying alive, he uses a diplomatic trip to Germany as a springboard to the United States. Helped by an undercover Stasi agent and former flame, and an up-and-coming CIA agent, Godeanu must elude the KGB and his own country's spooks, fully aware that his defection is putting his family back home in mortal danger.

----

S01 available on the scene.  Who knows when it will make it to the regular torrent sites. 

I cant find the full season pack yet, but the individual episodes are on TGx.

Downloading them now.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

15 hours ago, Jai Dee said:
15 hours ago, gargamon said:

image.png.00e83968305a372288e9b250e9a7887d.png

After barely surviving his grievous wounds from his mission in Dhaka, Bangladesh, Tyler Rake is back, and his team is ready to take on their next mission.

---

On the scene. Torrents??? 

Expand  

TPB has it... :whistling:

Also on TGx, 1337x, Lime & Kickass

9 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Thanks. Just downloaded it from TGx.

I watched the start of it last last night still haven't sorted out the plot.

It looks like the usual Gerard Butler action movie, maybe not up to the standard of The Covenant but if you are a fan maybe OK.

IMDB's rating of 6.1, I would suggest is about right.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thanks 1

Anyone else find the mini TV series "the Crowded Room" as dull and overrated as me? It receives rave reviews on IMDB but I had to give it away by episode 4. Tom Holland is the next Marlon Brando according to reviews, yet I found him aggravating and annoying, at least the part he plays in this series.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Anyone else find the mini TV series "the Crowded Room" as dull and overrated as me? It receives rave reviews on IMDB but I had to give it away by episode 4. Tom Holland is the next Marlon Brando according to reviews, yet I found him aggravating and annoying, at least the part he plays in this series.

I watched the first 15 minutes of first episode then completely forgot all about it, until I read your post.

I don't find your comments particularly surprising as his part wasn't that endearing to me either.

To be honest, I think being compared to Brando is not a positive achievement.

5 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I watched the first 15 minutes of first episode then completely forgot all about it, until I read your post.

I don't find your comments particularly surprising as his part wasn't that endearing to me either.

To be honest, I think being compared to Brando is not a positive achievement.

Change Brando, to Pacino, De Niro, etc. ie, best thing since sliced bread.

• Thumbs Up 1

Totally given up on Crowded Room, its dull, long winded and boring as heck, not sure how a fine actor like

Lior Raz  ended up in this thing, even my cat falls asleep watching it  zzzzzzzzzz

• Thumbs Up 2

Misc. stuff I've watched lately

Good Omens (2019) 9.5/10. Classic Neil Gaiman stuff but with humor. Amazon Prime. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On0RbFjh8tI

Good Omens 2 is due next month (July 28) I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgl06nszfSE

Silo Apple TV 9.5/10. Interesting SciFi premise, with real characters. Amazing cast. Renewed for a second season. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYhuvIv1pA

Class of '09 9/10 FX SciFi, a take on Minority Report. Great cast, split into three timelines. Limited series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvFfpwY_Ki8

American Born Chinese 10/10 Disney +. Coming of age American High School meets Chinese mythology. NOT for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrV3pOo3ycU&t=2s

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's been a long time since I saw the movie, "The Sixth Sense" and although I remembered parts of it, not much really, so I downloaded it last night and watched it.

What struck me this time round was that it was a very, very clever movie and the acting by Haley Joel Osment was superb, and the scene at the end when he was in the car with his mother, Toni Colette, was a bit of a tearjerker. IMO, well worth a second viewing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today's News.....

'Daniel Ellsberg, a military analyst who after experiencing a sobbing anti-war epiphany on a bathroom floor made the momentous decision in 1971 to disclose a secret history of American lies and deceit in Vietnam, what came to be known as the Pentagon Papers, died on Friday at his home in Kensington, Calif., in the Bay Area. He was 92'.

Daniel Ellsberg, Who Leaked the Pentagon Papers, Is Dead at 92 - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

As I recall little about this historical incident, a movie about the Pentagon Papers might be interesting to watch.

I suggest that a lot of the audience here including myself, whose number came up in the draft lottery at that time, would find the Pentagon Papers relevant to their past life.

There are half dozen movies on the Pentagon Papers available but The Post starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep seems to be the most popular.

The Post (2017) - IMDb

Has anyone seen the movie and can offer a quick review/opinion?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

There has to be a lot of fake reviews on IMDB.

They're loaded with them, especially (I think) Netflix stuff. Notice how the rave review content often seems to counter the negative reviews. 

It's gotten where everything they write is so unbelievable it's rediculous. 

I've just finished watching season 1 of Clean Sweep and enjoyed it. From IMDB: Shelly Mohan is a regular mom who juggles the lives and schedules of three children and a husband who is a local detective. It's a chaotic and mostly thankless life, but one with which she is happy...until a dark secret emerges from her past. I got it from TGx.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8270482/

• Thumbs Up 1