What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

I downloaded and watched a movie (2016) called, "Hell or High Water" which starred Chris Pine, Ben Foster and Jeff Bridges, as I had never seen it before as it was being featured on BBC iPlayer, and it was very good, especially with some good acting from Ben Foster.

I've also taken to watching a couple of series of documentaries on iPlayer, one about the Egyptians, and another with David Attenborough and some prehistoric fossils (no not his friends) and I would just as soon watch these than any of the very average movies and series that seem to be out there at the moment.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

Season 2 of 'Kin' - the family saga of drug dealers in Ireland. Promises to be as bloody as the 1st.

Season 2 was a cracker with a huge ending.

I think season 3 has already been filmed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Each to their own but I thought series 2 was a belter.

I thought the first scene was awesome .. tbf, I don't remember the first two seasons, it's not the thing I watch for the deep storyline, the fight scenes remind me of updated shaw bros. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Hijack is going down well. It's hard to get my wife to sit and watch a series, she recognizes Idris Elba and its got Thai subtitles, although maybe a little slow going, a winner all-round.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Ted Lasso season 3 finale was super wonderful and certainly came off as the series finale.

But left enough for viewers to wonder if it's really over..

Ted Lasso without Ted Lasso?

Pretty sure that's the end of Ted.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a spin off with Roy Kent though.

23 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Pretty sure that's the end of Ted.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a spin off with Roy Kent though.

Yeah Ted probably gone but a spin off with Richmond looks fairly likely. It can't be named Ted Lasso without Ted Lasso.

• Like 1

I downloaded and watched the original movie, "Flight of the Phoenix" and it was very good quality remarkably, and a good film, starring James Stewart, Richard Attenborough, Hardy Kruger, Ernest Borgnine and a few others, and it brought back memories of my time in the Sahara in 1970 because I experienced the sandstorms like they did and also flying in an aeroplane which had a faulty undercarriage so we couldn't land in the desert camps to pick up others, but we made it back to Tripoli airport.

The front landing wheel would not lock in place so we went round the control tower three or four times to see if they could spot a problem, and they couldn't, and the mechanical override for the wheel didn't work either, so we were told to brace for an emergency landing and what was more frightening was looking out of the window and seeing the runway lined with fire trucks, jeeps and ambulances........however the pilot put it down with one hell of a bump and I thought the undercarriage was going to come through the floor it was that severe, but we survived.

I also experienced flying through a sandstorm albeit not a severe one, in our little Pilatus Porter plane coming back into our camp, and it was quite frightening because it wasn't easy to see where we were going and although we did land safely, the sand played havoc with the edges of the prop, just like being sandblasted.

Last but not least it also bought back the memories of being stuck in the Calanschio Sand Sea when our Toyota Land Rover became hopelessly bogged down in deep sand and the gear lever broke off, so we were stuck in the middle of the Sahara desert with no radio and no water (all my fault because I was a newby didn't know the procedures for such a trip). We couldn't go anywhere, so my young Jordanian trainee engineer decided to walk to find the sand road, which would eventually lead back to the camp, if indeed he could make it because it was mid-afternoon and bloody hot.

I saw him disappear in the distance all the time wondering how I was going to stay alive and wondering if I could drink the radiator water to do so. Suddenly I saw his arms waving and in the far distance a couple of Land Rover's with the huge aerials on the back, and as luck would have it, it was a BP engineering party, so they came to our rescue, luckily.

Watching the movie bought all of this back and although it was dangerous, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Parole

As futures hang in the balance, what would you decide? An eye-opening look at Britain's parole boards, making complex, life-changing decisions for prisoners - and their victims.

• Like 1

I watched a French movie (with English subtitles) on BBC iPlayer last night, called "By the grace of God" and it was good and dealt with a paedophile in the Catholic Church in France, and the move by initially one man, then many, to get this particular priest tried for his crimes.

It was very difficult for them because they were blocked at every turn by the church and Vatican hierarchy, although things started to look a little better for them when some folks who had been helpers in the church came out with similar stories and that they had witnessed child molestation.

It was based on a true story and although the action mentioned above happened in or around 2017, the guilty party (or parties) have not yet been brought to account.

I still preferred the movie "Spotlight", but both of them were well done.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:07 AM, gargamon said:

Wow. Good week for TV series, even with the writers strike.

First 2 episodes of the final season have dropped.

image.png.e1d205decff5be41113801f3a984b0b1.png

overall I enjoy watching Jack Ryan, but it's sad that the stories can't even compare with Tom Clancy's plots.

the series' plots are weak and full of holes which are then covered by unnecessary action scenes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tgw said:

overall I enjoy watching Jack Ryan, but it's sad that the stories can't even compare with Tom Clancy's plots.

the series' plots are weak and full of holes which are then covered by unnecessary action scenes.

I think the plots are okay, but they are poorly written, so too many holes. 

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the plots are okay, but they are poorly written, so too many holes. 

take away the holes, and most of the things wouldn't happen !

• Haha 1