What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

14 hours ago, LosLobo said:

The last episode of the current TV Series of Hijack with Idris Elba dropped last night.

The series has be a must-see for myself and friends over the past month or so.

For anyone who hasn't watched yet I suggest that the initial critics review of a high 6/10 was inaccurate and it should have been 8/10.

Couldn't disagree more. I thought it promised so much but in the end never reached the heights it promised. The last episode was very weak. For me, it was a 5/10 series and no more.

7 hours ago, mstevens said:

Couldn't disagree more. I thought it promised so much but in the end never reached the heights it promised. The last episode was very weak. For me, it was a 5/10 series and no more.

Agreed. I suffered through all 6 episodes just to see the outcome in the final episode. What a fizzer that turned out to be.

On 7/31/2023 at 10:45 AM, giddyup said:

I agree. It looks like pure nepotism giving his daughter a major part. Will Smith made the same mistake casting his son with him in a huge flop.

They dump the daughter midway through so the message was received loud and clear

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

World on Fire  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8001092/

A story of World War II through the lives of ordinary people from all sides of this global conflict. The first series of seven episodes tells the story of the first year of the war, starting with the German invasion of Poland in September 1939 and ending with the Battle of Britain.

For those who have seen Season 1, Season 2 was released last month

Thanks for that @Mike Teavee. Downloading season 1 now from Lime.

• Like 1

Emily the Criminal (2022)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15255876/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_emily%20the

One of the better things I've seen on Netflix recently amongst all the other bilge.

I also enjoyed the Japanese series 'Alice in Borderland'

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10795658/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_alice%20in

I tried watching 'Yankee' and had to give up after about 5 episodes. Became boring and not very believable.

• Thanks 2

On 8/5/2023 at 11:51 AM, Marcous said:

Emily the Criminal (2022)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15255876/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_emily%20the

One of the better things I've seen on Netflix recently amongst all the other bilge.

I also enjoyed the Japanese series 'Alice in Borderland'

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10795658/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_alice%20in

I tried watching 'Yankee' and had to give up after about 5 episodes. Became boring and not very believable.

I thought Emily the Criminal (2022) was pretty good.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2023 at 1:06 PM, bendejo said:

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 2, episode 7

This was a surprise over the past weekend, episode involves the ST-based cartoon "Lower Decks."  Posting this because I think some may have missed it.

Have you watched Season 2 Episode 9 "Subspace Rhapsody" yet.

I think this is one of the strangest Star Treks I have ever watched. It was sort of a Star Trek-Glee cross over. I enjoyed it but hope it is not something that happens again.

Just watched the movie, "King Arthur" (2004) and thought it was good. It wasn't based on the Arthur myth/legend that we all came to know/be told about, but on a supposed Roman version.

Plenty of action, blood and guts, although Clive Owen (IMO) didn't quite fit the bill as Arthur, and Keira Knightly was about as out of place as a ham sandwich in a synagogue, although did get better as the film progressed.

Amazing scenery and special affects though, so a good evening's entertainment all told.

PS. I liked Clive Owen better in the movie, "The International".

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, biervoormij said:

I think this is one of the strangest Star Treks I have ever watched. It was sort of a Star Trek-Glee cross over. I enjoyed it but hope it is not something that happens again.

many classic series have episodes like that, probably happens when the authors are bored and feel secure in their jobs.

I hate it as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

I watched "Revenant", a Korean series about a ghost story.

As with "Attorney Woo", the series is very well made, the story is intricate.

It was especially interesting to get some glimpses of the countryside, houses, streets and interiors, how people live.

4 stars - lost a star because it lacks romantic relationships

Edited by tgw

5 hours ago, biervoormij said:

I hate musicals.  I grew up in the 1950s/60s and managed to not see many of the famous musicals of that era: My Fair Lady, Sound of Music, The Music Man, et al.

When someone in that episode suggested playing music, and they played Liza Minnelli doing a Cole Porter song I got a bad feeling.  And then the rest happened.  I fast-forwarded through most of it.  I might go back and try to take in Spock's emotional ordeal, but that will involve watching the nurse's aria.  .

Oddly enough, the week before with M'benga and the Klingon I thought that was the best episode of the season.

I read an interview with Patrick Stewart once, him talking about ST:NG being his first Hollywood gig and how in between scenes the other members of the cast were singing and dancing on set.  Stewart was somewhat shocked, never saw that before.  I have to wonder if this episode was inspired by what Stewart said.

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, tgw said:

many classic series have episodes like that, probably happens when the authors are bored and feel secure in their jobs.

I hate it as well.

I felt that way about the Lower Decks tie-in episode, but at least it had some humor.  I think they put that one together as a Comic Con tribute.