Jomtien Immigration - Hugh queue

scubascuba3

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

it was a residence certificate, so everything goes in the same queue, totally stupid. Moral to the story, if the queue is snaking in the afternoon, don't join it

Is that really going to work? The moral to the story is there will always be a hassle no matter what you do. 

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Did anybody see the new Immigration office they opened recently in Phetchabun? Here it is:

486746914_20221125_1422122.jpg.7e527f8ab

The current building in Jomtien was opened in something like 2006, I think, when Thailand was receiving around one-third of the number of foreign tourists that it did pe-pandemic. Plus a large number of those tourists either pass through Pattaya or else stay there the whole time, whereas how many foreigners head to Phetchabun? And while Pattaya has many tens of thousands of expats living here, how many are there in the whole of Phetchabun province?

The tourists who come to Pattaya and the expats who live here are poorly served by the current Immigration setup, which has failed to keep up with the rising numbers of people using it. Why would you come to Pattaya on holiday if you are going to end up spending a day or two in unpleasant conditions queuing for an extension or some other piece of bureaucracy? There's that large piece of vacant land opposite that's currently used as a car park, a pity that Immigration doesn't have the foresight to build a big new office there that's fit for purpose. The current setup is an insult to the many people living in and visiting the Pattaya area who end up needing to get some paperwork from Immigration, maybe Pattaya City Hall could put some pressure on them to improve their service if enough people complained.

People aren't spending money whilst they are queueing.

Edited by champers

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

it was a residence certificate, so everything goes in the same queue, totally stupid. Moral to the story, if the queue is snaking in the afternoon, don't join it

the moral of the story to any immigration visit is don't go in the afternoon.

• Like 1

Not looking forward to my next visit to Immigration. I wish we were not restricted to the immigration office in the province where we live. I would happily make a road trip to avoid the lines. Road trip to Phetchabun to do my extension of stay sounds like it would be fun.

If I were a tourist and extending my visa I would spend a night in Rayong and extend my visa there or go to Bangkok where there is an appointment system.

Late afternoon was a advice among expats for years, seems that is no longer a sure thing.

Agents ger more work, IO less frustrations from guys missing correct paperwork, a win win for them.

If I remember correct, current building was partly or mostly sponsored by pattaya business owners etc.

Will they help again?

11 hours ago, n00dle said:

the moral of the story to any immigration visit is don't go in the afternoon.

On 23 December I was there at 10 am for visa extension, maybe  2 or three  hunderds of people in front of me, most were young Russians. Around 11.30 am an officer came out and shut the door spouting through a loudspeaker that they had a break untill 1.30 pm. Nobody dare left the queue. I finaly left at 3.pm with the message that I had to come back the following morning at 8.30 to collect my visa. The following day again queueing, ok this time less than an hour. At the other side the newcomers already queueing from the soi, yes at 8.30! As the French used to say "Organised like a borthel".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, vangrop said:

On 23 December I was there at 10 am for visa extension, maybe  2 or three  hunderds of people in front of me, most were young Russians. Around 11.30 am an officer came out and shut the door spouting through a loudspeaker that they had a break untill 1.30 pm. Nobody dare left the queue. I finaly left at 3.pm with the message that I had to come back the following morning at 8.30 to collect my visa. The following day again queueing, ok this time less than an hour. At the other side the newcomers already queueing from the soi, yes at 8.30! As the French used to say "Organised like a borthel".

You have to a bit on the dim side to queue up to collect your extension.

Straight in to desk 8 ? with your numbered card works for me.

18 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You have to a bit on the dim side to queue up to collect your extension.

I am inclined to think not getting an agent to do  it all for you is a bit dim too if met with such a wait.