Travel insurance warning after Welshman's motorbike crash

webfact

Words spoken by his sister, from the video

'He wasn't getting the proper care where he was.  He hadn't been showered for a week.  Wasn't getting the proper care, the meds, everything'.

Edited by anchadian

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Fractured skull, came round a bend, lost control, straight into a power pole. IMO No helmet, No M/C license/experience. What Island was he on ?

Read the full story

• Like 1

Yes need to read the fine print for sure.I took extra coverage for motorcycle one trip when I first came back after covid lockout,then realised it only covered rental bikes.I own my bike here so no good to me.Luckily it was only 45 dollars for the short coverage I wanted.

Edited by findlay13
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Words spoken by his sister, from the video

'He wasn't getting the proper care where he was.  He hadn't been showered for a week.  Wasn't getting the proper care, the meds, everything'.

That is not 'uncommon' for those imbecils that do not have proper insurance and can not pay the hospital.  He was lucky he got any treatment.

Edited by damo1967
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Wasn't the insurance from Lloyd's Bank?

Yes, to be honest I obviously didn't read the article and just made an assumption he bought a cheap policy when he was signing up for his rent a bike.

But these sorts of trip insurance policies are next to worthless as well. Whenever we buy such policies to go to the United States I always hold my nose and hand over the money but know that they're pretty much worthless

• Thumbs Up 1

I am saddened to read the story concerning the young man's accident on a motorcycle in Thailand.

I am more sure my policy of not renting motorcycles at our Thai guest house is correct.

OK for Thai fly by night businesses, but not if you have assets that could be seized by unfortunate inexperienced hirers and not forgetting the driver ignorance we all see on Thai roads 

1 minute ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Yes, to be honest I obviously didn't read the article and just made an assumption he bought a cheap policy when he was signing up for his rent a bike.

The bike would likely come with the standard CTPL obligatory insurance, which only covers liability .... it is even possible that would be invalid if the guy does not have a  licence. Supplementary rental insurance is sometimes offered at a cost, but very rarely. Where the guy was (Koh Toa) is a bit loose on rules!

10 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Never ride a motorbike. Period. It's been said a million times.

I agree, I shudder when I hear of friends, especially older ones riding motorcycles here. 

I've seen too many deaths, including close family members, to ride one myself. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1