Where to find a girl friend in Thailand?

Hummin

Where to meet a girl friend?   

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Met mine while walking around in a dumpy market in Loei in 1977.  Her older sister sold clothing in the market and she was helping her Sis.  I asked them if they had a handmade Pa Kak Ma and they did, but I'd have to get it later.  Met them at a Wat a few days later at a Kao Pansa celebration. 

If that older sister hadn't been such a yapping busy body, we never would have connected. But over time we became acquainted and became friends. Life in a small town was boring back then.

44 years later I can't get rid of her, her siblings or her friends.  I even imported 6 of them to the U.S. some time back.  ????  At least I get my cars repaired and my lawn mowed for free.

Lately we've been buying Apple iPads for the kids of her nieces.  Two so far at about $300. USD each.  (My hand-me-down iPad is worth about $50.)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

What this teaches me about 90s Gangsta Rap is that it must be incredibly misogynistic and the last place in the world to look for advice on winning a girl

It also teaches you very little about finding

a good job & living a healthy lifestyle ????

But joking aside & back to topic...  IMHO 5-10 years ago you could easily meet a very nice Thai lady working in a bar & go on to have a very happy life with them, I'm not saying it's impossible nowadays, just not so easy (If I had to guess, 80% chance 10 years ago, 8% chance now). 

I met my Thai GF while she was working in a mall (Rangsit Bangkok), she was one of the older ("Only" 20 years younger than me) & less attractive (Beautiful to me) girls I met on that trip... But she's the one that stuck (4 years & counting). 

8 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

So, if we exclude the bar girl stuff

Don't most of us still hook up the old fashioned way at work, or has it really turned to online stuff?

Most of us don't work in Thailand, though I did meet my GF through work (I was buying aftershave in a mall, she was selling it).

At the time I was working in Singapore - Have you tried dating a Singaporean girl! - Wait, aren't you married to a Singaporean (I love them btw) or was that a Thai lady you met whilst working in Singapore (Which is how it worked out for me). 

Edited by Mike Teavee

9 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Most of us don't work in Thailand, though I did meet my GF through work (I was buying aftershave in a mall, she was selling it).

At the time I was working in Singapore - Have you tried dating a Singaporean girl! - Wait, aren't you married to a Singaporean (I love them btw) or was that a Thai lady you met whilst working in Singapore (Which is how it worked out for me). 

My wife is Thai, but we were both working for the same company in Singapore when we hooked up

Isn't the rule of thumb for Singapore girls the 4 C's; Condo Car Cash Career

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

My wife is Thai, but we were both working for the same company in Singapore when we hooked up

Isn't the rule of thumb for Singapore girls the 4 C's; Condo Car Cash Career

It was the 5 C's when I went working there (2008) - Condo, Car, Cash, Career & Credit Cards! Had 3 of those but still managed to date a couple of SPGs ????  

Awesome place to live & work though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

It was the 5 C's when I went working there (2008) - Condo, Car, Cash, Career & Credit Cards! Had 3 of those but still managed to date a couple of SPGs ????  

I forgot credit cards lol

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

We both loved living and working in Singapore, but it's just a giant shopping mall and eventually we both got island fever.

That trip over the strait to go to KL at the weekend just to get away kinda got tiring.

But still have very fond memories of our time there 

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, MicroB said:

Not always. My father passed away in September. He met my mum while serving at BMH Colchester; 29 year old RAMC sergeant from Hackney and she was an 20 year old army nurse from Melton Mowbray. He knew her, after meeting through a mutual acquaintance, for about 1 week, and popped the question while drunk as a lord. They were married for 54 years.

Its different for everyone.

I think this comes from a very different time, at least in Western countries.  The fact that generally people didn't date but "courted", and often didn't have sex before marriage, meant that "popping the question" was a lot easier to do.

I'm not sure of the psychological reason, but it seems like knowing someone for a short amount of time then getting married seems functional where people don't have sex before marriage, but not so where they do.  I guess it has something to do with men being the ones who decide who gets married, and a virgin being somehow higher value or being easy to commit to?

I can imagine someone meeting a woman who has never been with another man and proposing within weeks/months.  I can't imagine the same happening where the girl has had multiple sexual partners.  Not sure of the exact reason.

7 hours ago, habuspasha said:

What this teaches me about 90s Gangsta Rap is that it must be incredibly misogynistic and the last place in the world to look for advice on winning a girly

You sound like a lamb to the slaughter 

13 hours ago, 2009 said:

You sound like a lamb to the slaughter 

If I am, I can't be slaughtered before I'm in my '80s after a very happy life with some beautiful, loving women, the last of whom at half my age has been with me for ten years.

Your attitude, on the other hand, leads to daily slaughter, self-inflicted.

20 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I think this comes from a very different time, at least in Western countries.  The fact that generally people didn't date but "courted", and often didn't have sex before marriage, meant that "popping the question" was a lot easier to do.

I'm not sure of the psychological reason, but it seems like knowing someone for a short amount of time then getting married seems functional where people don't have sex before marriage, but not so where they do.  I guess it has something to do with men being the ones who decide who gets married, and a virgin being somehow higher value or being easy to commit to?

I can imagine someone meeting a woman who has never been with another man and proposing within weeks/months.  I can't imagine the same happening where the girl has had multiple sexual partners.  Not sure of the exact reason.

You're making assumptions about my mum and dad. Tradition also demanded the groom asking permission off the prospective FIL in a grovelling way, before popping the question. Dad obviously had to get mullered to ask the question, so not so easy for him. But who knows; he's no longer around.

Sometimes people just click right away.

21 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

can imagine someone meeting a woman who has never been with another man and proposing within weeks/months.  I can't imagine the same happening where the girl has had multiple sexual partners.  Not sure of the exact reason.

Met a UK girl in a bar, married her 2 years later.

She was definitely a virgin.

Met a Thai girl in a bar, married her 2 weeks later.

Fairly sure she wasn't a virgin.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, MicroB said:

You're making assumptions about my mum and dad.

The only assumptions I made about your mum and dad is that they were married at the point in time I mentioned.  I then went on to describe what I believe marriage to have been like in that era.  I didn't actually specifically refer to your parents situation.

On 1/21/2023 at 7:36 PM, BangkokReady said:

Well attitudes have changed widely from when I suspect most of our parents were in their 'prime',

My youngest daughter, mother of my Grandkids isn't married to her very long term bf, and I wouldn't even question why they don't get married.

My Thai son, same thing living with his gf for years.

My God I wouldn't have been bothered marrying Mrs G if it hadn't been we had to so she could get a Green card!

All of this in the 50's and even into the late 60's would have been 'living in sin' and children out of wedlock, well that was beyond the pale.

Thankfully we have moved on

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I am not entirely sure why I should have a girlfriend in Thailand.

I just came back from an extended trip to Brazil with a Thai lady. I don't know how she convinced her Farang boyfriend to let her go. Nor her Thai husband.

Oh man, go with a thai lady to Brazil, and you did not need to

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Oh man, go with a thai lady to Brazil, and you did not need to

I have gone to Brazil solo many times, so I wanted to change things up. Trust me, the Thai lady liked the Brazilian women.

But then I brought her back to Thailand and to her husband. whew.

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You get what you deserve and what goes around comes around? Only future can tell! 

I guess if I never found out she had a Thai husband, then I would be blameless, just like all the Farangs who find true love with a bargirl.

How many bargirls don't have Thai boyfriends? Well, there are some who go with Tomboys, and maybe 15 percent who are asexual, so there is that. But basically, if you are going with a bargirl, you are going with someone's wife or girlfriend, you just don't know it.

If you want to blame someone, blame the bargirl or her husband, not the innocent customer.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

I guess if I never found out she had a Thai husband, then I would be blameless, just like all the Farangs who find true love with a bargirl.

How many bargirls don't have Thai boyfriends? Well, there are some who go with Tomboys, and maybe 15 percent who are asexual, so there is that. But basically, if you are going with a bargirl, you are going with someone's wife or girlfriend, you just don't know it.

If you want to blame someone, blame the bargirl or her husband, not the innocent customer.

There is a limit how long you can be blind, but nothing surprises me anymore.

There is always signs something is wrong.