Patong disgrace.

BarraMarra

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Almost heaven - West Virginia.

Lived in Beckley, WV (1979/80) ... was lovely.  My first airline job, AeroMech, use to commute for Allegheny, now US Airways.  3 Beechcraft 99s a day to PIT as AeroMech ???? Went belly up in 83.

On Topic, WV, check off, didn't buy the t-shirt.  I could easily live on Phuket, but probably no Patong, or even visit if I did live on Phuket.

Was excellent 2020/21, but now back to a tourist ghetto.

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Lived in Beckley, WV (1979/80) ... was lovely.  My first airline job, AeroMech, use to commute for Allegheny, now US Airways.  3 Beechcraft 99s a day to PIT as AeroMech ???? Went belly up in 83.

On Topic, WV, check off, didn't buy the t-shirt.  I could easily live on Phuket, but probably no Patong, or even visit if I did live on Phuket.

Was excellent 2020/21, but now back to a tourist ghetto.

I was gifted a week at a Marriott Resort on the North end of the island - it was lovely but one of those self contained places w/private beach, 3 pools etc... 

and actually it is airline mechanics that scare me - - I had a midnight flight out of Sri ?lanka many years ago and we were delayed... when I looked out the terminal window, there were parts all over the runway and guys looking around with flashlights... and Detroit scares me just as much.

5 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

and Detroit scares me just as much.

I did a long winter 'temp' at DTW when working for NWA, now DL.  Brutal winter, though upgraded my work classification, and lots of overtime.  Actually wasn't bad at all.  Loved Ann Arbor & GreekTown.

On Topic ...  all about neighborhoods.  Old Town Phuket is great.  Some of the beaches, maybe, even during high season, though can't verify, as never been, aside from deserted covid times.

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I did a long winter 'temp' at DTW when working for NWA, now DL.  Brutal winter, though upgraded my work classification, and lots of overtime.  Actually wasn't bad at all.  Loved Ann Arbor & GreekTown.

On Topic ...  all about neighborhoods.  Old Town Phuket is great.  Some of the beaches, maybe, even during high season, though can't verify, as never been, aside from deserted covid times.

Old Phuket Town seems to be the popular thing at the moment. Got 19 days in May. Thinking 8 nights Bang Tao, 2 nights Phuket Town on a weekend, 5 nights Kata and 4 nights Patong so I can have a look after a long break and be pleasantly surprised or complain a bit. Happy to have  suggestions for other places near airport even out of Phuket or other beaches. Girlfriend not fussed. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

On 1/12/2023 at 9:16 PM, stoner said:

ok here we go

after living in thailand for over 9 years now i finally made the trip this last week to phuket.

it is what it is. a huge tourist trap. overcrowded in patong to the max. loads of typical tourist scams etc and all that. 

compared to bkk patong was very clean. the beach i saw people out every day picking up garbage. 

talk about garbage and smell bkk has patong beat hands down.

as i was only in patong i can really only comment on that. in the 70's 80's and 90's patong would of been paradise.

now more like a sardine can mixed with a whole lot of different fish.

did a day trip to maya bay and phi phi. just as bad. maya bay you have to follow the walkway to the beach. splash your feet for 5 seconds and get hurried out of there. phi phi was just as crowded.

speed boats and longtails by the dozen. smelly fumes all over the place.

i am sure there are other places on phuket that are still nice but the tourist areas are a total gong show now.

the main reason i never even went in the first place. i came to thailand in 2003 and everyone told me then it was already overdone. 

I think that just about all tourist places in this world are already overdone.

Of course, in order to have this perception, one must have a perception of what it was 'before'.

Greek islands, Caribbeans, Mexico, France, Paris, Italy, Venice and Rome.

Ah, what beautiful memories... But can never be the same, for anyone who listened to my experience, and would want to go and have the same experience for themselves.

Too late.

But after their own different experience, they will get others to try to get the same feeling...

But also too late....

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Old Phuket Town seems to be the popular thing at the moment. Got 19 days in May. Thinking 8 nights Bang Tao, 2 nights Phuket Town on a weekend, 5 nights Kata and 4 nights Patong so I can have a look after a long break and be pleasantly surprised or complain a bit. Happy to have  suggestions for other places near airport even out of Phuket or other beaches. Girlfriend not fussed. 

Phuket Old Town on weekend for Sunday Night Market.  That was quite nice.

... Kamala Beach ... N side where PoPo station is.  Few beachfront restaurants quite nice.  We munched at Lillo Island.  Actually stayed in one of the rooms (very basic) in the back.  Not much open during Covid, though may have chose them anyway, as just too convenient a location:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Lillo+Island+Restaurant+%26+Bar/@7.9557588,98.2826817,19z/data=!4m16!1m7!3m6!1s0x30503a3b6645b1a7:0x8af77c32a71c5ed8!2sKamala+Beach!3b1!8m2!3d7.9569221!4d98.2830983!3m7!1s0x30503a23a107313d:0x3008989d59d900a7!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d7.9557588!4d98.2830522

KataMama Seafood for a munch, on S end of beach.  Consistently good, well priced.  We stayed at Kata Ibis, since open & pet friendly.  It's an ibis, so no surprises, and our 'go to' chain.

Like Yanui & Nai Ham beaches, having some quaint restaurants back in that area.

If you haven't, I think driving around the Cape is mandatory, it is for us, every visit.

Bang Tao ... obviously a higher end traveller than us.  Pop into Surin Beach on the way down, as you'll be driving by anyway on 4030.  One of the few with a bunch a vendor handy surfside.

Kata Beach has a 'street food' area, on SW corner of Club Med monstrosity. 

Some tasty stuff there ...

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Kata+street+food/@7.8171726,98.2986578,17.65z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x3050383fc9d867f5:0x9e9dd81435aeb525!2sBang+Tao+Beach,+Choeng+Thale,+Thalang+District,+Phuket!3b1!8m2!3d7.9979979!4d98.2987681!3m4!1s0x30502514edaa78e5:0xc0d650934d78074d!8m2!3d7.816363!4d98.2993633

I'd give Patong a pass, or just 1 night if curious what all the Bangla rd hubbub is about.  Wasted time IMHO.

Instead of Patong, stay on N end of Kamala Beach, as a few higher end comfy places there.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I was gifted a week at a Marriott Resort on the North end of the island - it was lovely but one of those self contained places w/private beach, 3 pools etc... 

and actually it is airline mechanics that scare me - - I had a midnight flight out of Sri ?lanka many years ago and we were delayed... when I looked out the terminal window, there were parts all over the runway and guys looking around with flashlights... and Detroit scares me just as much.

Whats this got to do with Patong in Phuket ??

On 1/28/2023 at 11:49 PM, grumpyoldman said:

.....................maybe when the OP didn't understand "rag on" he was thinking "rag head".

I was more referring to his disparaging remarks about draft dodgers and our subcontinental friends, given that we are all foreigners here it was a bit Orwellian with a pinch of it aint half hot mum 

• 2 weeks later...