Agent recommendatons for Thai driving licence

bbi1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly - getting a Thai DL is one of the much easier things to do within Thai bureaucracy.

BUT... IF an agent can ‘queue jump’ and get someone on a fine time line in ahead of the curve and avoid on the day queueing then I can understand someone making that choice - they still need to be present though the process and take the ‘in-room tests’ and watch the video etc...  

I had to go home to do the on-line test on my PC as the-room machines were fully booked on the appointment system for Thai's. Hardest part of the entire process was a 30 km round trip during the office lunchbreak. Arrived at about 10:30 initially (no appointment made just turned up) and left with new license about 2:30.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, I used BSR bikes for car and bike licences. Run by a USA guy (Mark) and communication was good. 

Pretty much all they did was meet at the transport office with a guaranteed que number (#1)  on certain day and checked paperwork etc. 1800baht. 

The lass ran inside and made couple of extra photocopies that I overlooked. 1800baht. That was both licences. Can't recall if that included cost of licence fees.

Thanks. They are only in BKK by the looks of it, or do they also service the Pattaya area?

Two months ago here in Pattaya I decided I needed a Thai motorcycle licence. I went to 2 different agencies. The first one wouldn't quote me on the phone, so I went in and got the typical car salesman treatment. "Oh, it might take weeks, (even months!)to get an appointment by the end of this year..if you pay 20,000 baht we guarantee an earlier appointment". I quickly GTFO. 

The 2nd agency I went to was the total opposite. She told me straight up 4K Baht. I didn't want to pay that much but I really didn't want to do it myself I just wanted it done.

1. I texted her on a Tuesday, met her for at the DL Bureau on Wed w/requested documents. She made the appointments. 

2. I went back to the DL Bureau on Sat for the safety course. I had to sit around for about 6-8 hours in a room next to the actual safety course, which was in Thai language. I met a couple of foreigners, ate lunch, had coffee, had to pay something like 500 baht at the end. NOT a horrible experience at all. 

3. My 3rd and final trip to the DL Bureau was on Monday. My agent met me again. I took a reflex test, which took less than a minute. Then I took their computerized driving license test. 50 questions, needed 45 to pass. My Russian friend didn't pass but obv. english a 2nd language. I studied hard for 1 hour, passed the test no problem. Next I went outside, they had me drive a motorbike around a course, the important part was to drive on a straight line without swerving off, which I did no problem. Then I got my picture taken, waited for my license. My agent even drove me back home I paid the 4K Baht.

All in all I texted her on a Tuesday, finished on a Monday. I have a copy of the online study guide if anyone needs it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sometime said:

When I went to book an appointment six months ago lady says you want to do test today

What happens if you fail the test, do you get the 3,500 Bt back, or do you forfeit it?

The reason I ask is I am wary of the part involving the two sticks you have to line up together.

I managed OK on my last motorbike license renewal at my local test centre, but I think that was more luck than anything else.

I watched at a different test centre and watched the vast majority of people fail that part of the test. Imagine paying 3,500 Bt and then failing.

Edited by NoshowJones
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't understand this thread 

Maybe agents can bypass things in places such as Pattaya however I did not find that an option in Bangkok.

Approached Fatboy's and few other agents re Residence certificate. 

Not possible I was informed.

Eventually during covid I actually was finally able to do a 90 day report and obtain residence certificate.

However the offices were seeing very limited numbers for TDL .

OP, I used BSR bikes for car and bike licences. Run by a USA guy (Mark) and communication was good. 

Pretty much all they did was meet at the transport office with a guaranteed que number (#1)  on certain day and checked paperwork etc. 1800baht. 

The lass ran inside and made couple of extra photocopies that I overlooked. 1800baht. That was both licences. Can't recall if that included cost of licence fees. 

When agents are mentioned for anything I never understand why folk don't mention  their name and price guide. 

I think some people mistakingly think they will be contravening the dafamation law. 

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Do you have to give an agent your passport? No way i would do that.

Well I did for new passport, transfer of extension, new extension etc, no issues and no choice really... you may be better not seeing the casual way they handle them though.

2 hours ago, skatewash said:

This is supposed to be why the International Driving Permit is needed, to unambiguously show which vehicles an applicant's home license allows them to legally drive.  In this case, the IDP would not have shown that the driver was qualified for motorcycle driver's license.

But for some reason they also require the original licence along with the IDP which shows a picture of a moped.

6 hours ago, tingtongfarang said:

But for some reason they also require the original licence along with the IDP which shows a picture of a moped.

The IDP is of no value without the underlying valid home driving license.  It is a derivative of your home driving license; it doesn't stand on its own.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

the part involving the two sticks you have to line up together.

I stood up to see what that test was about and was told have to stay seated. I passed it but have no idea what it was about… 

27 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

I stood up to see what that test was about and was told have to stay seated. I passed it but have no idea what it was about… 

I have a problem with the 2 stick test first 3 attempts I failed, I let the next person try their luck ,I timed their test , 32seconds, tried again let it run for 30 seconds success,got my 5 year licence at BangKuntian. My Thai license expired while I was away. Now I need an agent who will get me over this hurdle.

Edited by norbra

4 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

Thanks for the info. If I dont have a motorbike license in my home country would it still be 5000bht.

Not sure, I'd think it likely to be more in the 6-6.5K range giving the costs for a brand new licence rather than a transfer of a foreign licence:

139828970_Services--Mots-Services(1).png.8976a2e100095668fecae3d752402460.png

Get in touch and ask them: https://www.mots-services.com/mots-services1

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Not sure, I'd think it likely to be more in the 6-6.5K range giving the costs for a brand new licence rather than a transfer of a foreign licence:

Get in touch and ask them: https://www.mots-services.com/mots-services1

At that cost its surely worth doing it yourself....  6-6.5k per licence is a great little earner for someone !

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

At that cost its surely worth doing it yourself....  6-6.5k per licence is a great little earner for someone !

For bike and car not both. If people are willing to pay it, up to them.

The IDP is of no value without the underlying valid home driving license.  It is a derivative of your home driving license; it doesn't stand on its own.

thats obvious but with my friend when they seen the picture of a moped on his home car licence they assumed it meant he was licenced to ride a motorbike when in reality it only allows a 50cc moped,

when we arrived home my friend asked...what does this motorbike licence allow me to do?

I said it mean you can go and buy a 1000cc motorbike today and ride legally, he replied but i have never ridden anything with 2 wheels apart from a bicycle.

Edited by tingtongfarang
explanation

59 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Why, are people paying an agent to arrange a Driving Test when you can do itself for free ?

Some people want their hand-held and worry the process is convoluted and unnavigable for a non-Thai speaking foreigner....   Its not as if they are turning up for a driving licence and get sent for a colonoscopy !!!.... there’s not a lot that can go wrong, but they worry anyway. 

Others may be on a fine time-line and hope that the agents can help them jump the queues etc, which is possible.

23 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

thats obvious but with my friend when they seen the picture of a moped on his home car licence they assumed it meant he was licenced to ride a motorbike when in reality it only allows a 50cc moped,

when we arrived home my friend asked...what does this motorbike licence allow me to do?

I said it mean you can go and buy a 1000cc motorbike today and ride legally, he replied but i have never ridden anything with 2 wheels apart from a bicycle.

IDP is of no relevance anyway (when converting a UK licence)... the DLT accept a UK driving licence and will transfer whatever endorsements there are (i.e. car / motorcycle) and clearly don’t pay much attention... they see the silhouette of a motorcycle on the endorsements side (as posted above) and thats enough....  Its a mistake on their (DLT’s) part, but I’m not complaining.