The increasing appeal of Pratamanak.

Social Media

I lived in Pratumnak for a year way back in 2005/2006. It was a nice, quiet area with lots of trees and greenery, but even in the year I lived there I could see how quickly nature was shrinking. Back then there was very little up there in the way of entertainment, Cabbages & Condoms and a few bars. The first 7-eleven in the area opened while I was living there. There was no Baht Bus route around Soi Pratumnak so you were dependent on motorbike taxis for getting into town, which was fine until it rained and they all headed home early. There's a lot more up there now, of course, I sometimes take the GF to go for a meal in Dom's, even though I live way off in South Pattaya nowadays.

Just for fun, here's a photo of the view from my balcony in Star Beach taken in late 2005. If you know Pratumnak, that's Soi 4 on the right leading down to Hotel Asia. Look at all that greenery, I'll bet it doesn't look like that any more.

CIMG0710.thumb.JPG.6427bc58a69fb603e8904f256e70a733.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2023 at 10:55 AM, PJ71 said:

Erm, get a bike or a car? no matter where you live i'd consider that essential.

I live in Central Pattaya. No need for a bike or car. Sometimes I use a Baht bus. If I need a car then my eGF would drive me. But very rarely.

A friend of mine lived in Jomtien for a while before he moved to Central Pattaya. He had a car but he had enough of the traffic jams when he wanted to go to Central Pattaya in the evening. In the meantime he sold his car. 

28 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I lived in Pratumnak for a year way back in 2005/2006. It was a nice, quiet area with lots of trees and greenery, but even in the year I lived there I could see how quickly nature was shrinking. Back then there was very little up there in the way of entertainment, Cabbages & Condoms and a few bars. The first 7-eleven in the area opened while I was living there. There was no Baht Bus route around Soi Pratumnak so you were dependent on motorbike taxis for getting into town, which was fine until it rained and they all headed home early. There's a lot more up there now, of course, I sometimes take the GF to go for a meal in Dom's, even though I live way off in South Pattaya nowadays.

Just for fun, here's a photo of the view from my balcony in Star Beach taken in late 2005. If you know Pratumnak, that's Soi 4 on the right leading down to Hotel Asia. Look at all that greenery, I'll bet it doesn't look like that any more.

Thanks for posting the photo.  My partner and I used to live in View Talay 3 when we first came to town in 2010.  I remarked in another thread how much Pattaya has changed and grown in those 12 years--so many highrises had not been built in 2010--not to mention so much else, as well.

19 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

I live in Central Pattaya. No need for a bike or car. Sometimes I use a Baht bus. If I need a car then my eGF would drive me. But very rarely.

A friend of mine lived in Jomtien for a while before he moved to Central Pattaya. He had a car but he had enough of the traffic jams when he wanted to go to Central Pattaya in the evening. In the meantime he sold his car. 

That's wonderful, i'm happy for both you and your friend.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

@newnative since I've got that old photo folder open, here's a few more from the same date, October 2005.

This was the view towards Cosy Beach at the time:

CIMG0711.thumb.JPG.794b2e66d8a8e478f5564d21aae5b486.JPG

while this one looks towards the north end of Dongtan Beach, you can see Soi 5 snaking down towards Sugar Beach, plus the Adriatic Palace hotel and Baan Had U-Thong, as well as VT3 under construction which should interest you.

CIMG0713.thumb.JPG.9a77bab72836518a6f081272a8bc9bb2.JPG

while this was the view from the door of my condo. I don't suppose that's changed very much, lol.

CIMG0716.thumb.JPG.48dae08533accc075e8cc79e2e484b19.JPG

So interesting!  Yes, I thought that was VT3 under construction in the distance.  Lots of changes.  Thanks so much for posting these.

On 1/12/2023 at 9:40 PM, BananaStrong said:

It's funny to me when 99% of farangs don't even try to pronounce the names correctly.   I learned enough Thai, can read a fair bit, and can definitely tell when something is off.  Like near Chiangmai, I'm going to Pai.  It's not pronounced with a "P" actually.  lol.   Pattaya is also almost never pronounced correctly.  

anyhow.............When in Rome, speak like a Norwegian I guess if you have money.........lol

It's not that foreigners can't pronounce the place names correctly, but it depends on who they are speaking to and in what language. If you speak in a British or American accent, and you're speaking English, you'll pronounce the words in that accent. If you're speaking Thai to Thai people, you'll try to pronounce the words closer to the correct Thai pronunciation.

A good example to illustrate this concept is the word "Paris". Few English speakers will pronounce it "Pari". You'd normally only pronounce it "Pari" if you were speaking French.

Specifically, "Pattaya" pronounced the correct Thai way does not roll off the tongue well if speaking English. In fact, in an English sentence, it sounds quite strange. If you live in Pattaya, you can pronounce it any way you like and everyone will understand. If you were in another area, speaking to Thai people, you have to make an effort to get it right.

A lot of people here get OCD about pronunciation. As long as whoever you're speaking to can understand you, you've achieved your goal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Guderian said:

We were practically neighbours back in 2006. I'm still in the Pratumnak area. The surprising thing is how many massage places and beer bars have sprung up in Soi 4, 5, and 6. Even some go-go bars. The lower part of Soi 5 is rapidly transforming into another bar district.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It's not that foreigners can't pronounce the place names correctly, but it depends on who they are speaking to and in what language.

Oh, it is that, 'cause they don't bother to learn how, don't care. No, it's to everybody. Here we have a vlogger speaking to an international audience with some low uncouth accent that made me cut him off after 2 minutes. Unable or unwilling to speak much more understandable Received Pronunciation. Why is that? Gordon Brown, a Scotsman, could.

Specifically, "Pattaya" pronounced the correct Thai way does not roll off the tongue well if speaking English. In fact, in an English sentence, it sounds quite strange.

Not for a typical Pattaya monger's tongue, no. Has far more important uses. But it rolls off mine just fine, no problem at all. But, if it did, so what? Maybe it's a matter of "tough get going." Or maybe we've stumbled upon a simple test of literacy, education, urbanity, and IQ.

Sounds no more strange in an English sentence than all those obscure UK or OZ placenames, which will be immediately, with obligatory condescension, corrected by the natives if "mispronounced."

If you live in Pattaya, you can pronounce it any way you like and everyone will understand.

Not necessarily. Farang like to think that Thais' nodding and lauging along means they understand and really appreciate their blather and inane jokes, when in fact the Thais don't have a clue. But that's what they're being paid for.

And the wrong pronunciation immediately betrays inexperience and cultural obtuseness to those who might like to take advantage of it.

If you were in another area, speaking to Thai people, you have to make an effort to get it right.

Useless if you don't know what it is. Might try to teach the locals the real pronunciation, though. ???? 

As long as whoever you're speaking to can understand you, you've achieved your goal. 

And put fellow illiterates at ease. Time for a Chang.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

Last night went to walk around that area and it was scary....

NO sidewalks on Pharatamnak to go to check out my old favorite FX Hotel (now run down - hard to believe since it's own by Japanese company) , then down on # 4 to check out Asia Pattaya Hotel (was very nice but so remote...), then scary totally dark nameless Jungle alley (few drunks and dogs) to # 5. Sands area is nice and clean, lot of people but on the beach many locals who don't like farangs...

I wish my needs and taste would be as simple as video guys ????

A few 7/11s, massage and bars.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/16/2023 at 12:01 PM, BigStar said:

Oh, it is that, 'cause they don't bother to learn how, don't care. No, it's to everybody. Here we have a vlogger speaking to an international audience with some low uncouth accent that made me cut him off after 2 minutes. Unable or unwilling to speak much more understandable Received Pronunciation. Why is that? Gordon Brown, a Scotsman, could.

Not for a typical Pattaya monger's tongue, no. Has far more important uses. But it rolls off mine just fine, no problem at all. But, if it did, so what? Maybe it's a matter of "tough get going." Or maybe we've stumbled upon a simple test of literacy, education, urbanity, and IQ.

Sounds no more strange in an English sentence than all those obscure UK or OZ placenames, which will be immediately, with obligatory condescension, corrected by the natives if "mispronounced."

Not necessarily. Farang like to think that Thais' nodding and lauging along means they understand and really appreciate their blather and inane jokes, when in fact the Thais don't have a clue. But that's what they're being paid for.

And the wrong pronunciation immediately betrays inexperience and cultural obtuseness to those who might like to take advantage of it.

Useless if you don't know what it is. Might try to teach the locals the real pronunciation, though. ???? 

And put fellow illiterates at ease. Time for a Chang.

It's simple if you can read Thai. Basically, short a, short a, long ah.  Not short, long, short. Lorndun anyone? Ne yok? Sideknee? Yeah, lazy foreigners can't be arsed. Chang, Leo, Sing. One more please. Basic thai. Enough already.

Edited by bradiston
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2023 at 10:25 PM, Denim said:

Considering the number of ex pat tourists that live in Pattaya , it's incredible that many of them can't even pronounce the name of the place despite living there for years. Still manage to rhyme it with ..

' hay '.

Talk about assimilating with local culture. Is Pattaya even representative of Thailand ?

A bit like an Asian living in Southall or Leicester and claiming they are 100 percent British through and through.

Is it so incredible? I'm a Brit. I've lived in France for nigh on 20 years. Many Brits who have lived there a long time hardly speak French, let alone pronounce place names and the language correctly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

It's simple if you can read Thai. Basically, short a, short a, long ah.  Not short, long, short. Lorndun anyone? Ne yok? Sideknee? Yeah, lazy foreigners can't be arsed. Chang, Leo, Sing. One more please. Basic thai. Enough already.

Are you ok?

Which language is this pls?

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Are you ok?

Which language is this pls?

Exactly. It's unrecognisable if you change the vowel length and sounds and the consonants around. That's what you do when you completely mispronounce Thai words. Equivalent of Sydney? Sideknee. London? Lorndoon. Etc etc. Completely mangled.

21 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Exactly. It's unrecognisable if you change the vowel length and sounds and the consonants around. That's what you do when you completely mispronounce Thai words. Equivalent of Sydney? Sideknee. London? Lorndoon. Etc etc. Completely mangled.

Your examples are stupid.

30 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Your examples are stupid.

You ever heard of Khaosan rd? And Soi Buakhao? How is the 'khao' in Khaosan related to the 'khao' in Buakhao? Answer: it's not. In Thai they are two completely different words, because one is pronounced with a rising tone, บัวขาว, white lotus, and the other with a falling tone, ข้าวสาร, uncooked rice. Luckily, tuk tuk drivers and taxi drivers are aware of most foreigners' mediocre at best language skills and can map the mangling into something intelligible. But how many foreigners start yelling at the driver when he shows some kind of hesitancy in starting off on the journey. Like, where the fxxx does this guy want to go?

Many Americans first time in London will ask for Lie Sester Square. And so it goes.

My previous examples were meant as humorous illustrations of how pronunciation can go wrong. End of.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And all of this has to do with 'The increasing appeal of Pratamanak' how exactly?

Somebody commented on the video presenter's pronunciation of Thai, then from there it went to foreigners' pronunciation of Thai words in general.

Anyway, I live in "Pratamanak (sic)". I like it. Lived in Lengkee for most of COVID.  Now, I hardly ever go north, and Jomtien has an increasing appeal. Sure, it's a bit of a hike to the malls, but once a week is bearable. It's quiet, there's gyms, saunas, reasonable food, coffee bars and massage. I don't do nightlife so can't comment. It's a 5 minute drive to some of the best city walks I've found anywhere in Pattaya, and 5 minutes to the beach. It's also reasonably cheap for accommodation. I pay 8k pm for a 1 bed, ground floor condo apartment. It was 5.5k when I moved in. My neighbours aren't any trouble to me, although they come and go. Hard to beat in my book.

• Thumbs Up 1

People really need to differentiate between the hill area and the other area down by the russian market. The hill area sucks. You need transportation in and out and if you walk there are packs of wild dingo dogs who live in the park area on the way out.

If your looking for a place you need to map it to see if it's in the hill area by buddha hill or the area down lower.

• Like 1

I've seen at least 3 or 4 different spellings on road signs.

And they all have one correct pronunciation.

At the end of the day who cares, everyone will understand where you mean no matter how you pronounce it.

Everyone, no. And incorrect pronunciation says something about the speaker to those who do know how to pronounce correctly. Same thing in the UK. Persist in mispronouncing a common placename to the natives, despite their condescending corrections, and you confirm to them an unfavorable impression. 

Tourists FOB have an excuse. And most even not FOB in Pattaya aren't the sharpest tacks in the drawer anyway, so you can't expect too much outta them, either.

Those who really do know Pattaya well, or know the culture well enough to understand and speak some basic Thai, can and do pronounce it correctly at all times. Overall, I'd rank their credibility higher. Naturally, those who can't will vehemently disagree and consider themselves experts anyway. Every man's a king on his own barstool, to adapt the saying about dogs in their backyards.  

My point in an earlier thread that if a vlogger or other sets himself up as an ace advisor about Pattaya, his opinions can be instantly dismissed if he can't even pronounce the name of the place about which he's expounding. And that indeed proved true in the course of the vid as he reduced the entire large, diverse area to three bar scenes, and then posited a nonsense reason for the number of searches for Pattaya on TikTok. Same vlogger mangles other Thai placenames in other vids. Just trying to make a few bob, I guess. I'd say he mangles English as well for the international audience, evidently unable to speak Received Pronunciation. But homies will feel . . . well, right at home.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BigStar said:

And they all have one correct pronunciation.

Everyone, no. And incorrect pronunciation says something about the speaker to those who do know how to pronounce correctly. Same thing in the UK. Persist in mispronouncing a common placename to the natives, despite their condescending corrections, and you confirm to them an unfavorable impression. 

Tourists FOB have an excuse. And most even not FOB in Pattaya aren't the sharpest tacks in the drawer anyway, so you can't expect too much outta them, either.

Those who really do know Pattaya well, or know the culture well enough to understand and speak some basic Thai, can and do pronounce it correctly at all times. Overall, I'd rank their credibility higher. Naturally, those who can't will vehemently disagree and consider themselves experts anyway. Every man's a king on his own barstool, to adapt the saying about dogs in their backyards.  

My point in an earlier thread that if a vlogger or other sets himself up as an ace advisor about Pattaya, his opinions can be instantly dismissed if he can't even pronounce the name of the place about which he's expounding. And that indeed proved true in the course of the vid as he reduced the entire large, diverse area to three bar scenes, and then posited a nonsense reason for the number of searches for Pattaya on TikTok. Same vlogger mangles other Thai placenames in other vids. Just trying to make a few bob, I guess. I'd say he mangles English as well for the international audience, evidently unable to speak Received Pronunciation. But homies will feel . . . well, right at home.

Make sure you have a mask handy. Those bloggers are all over the place now. You can see them walking down the street with the selfie sticks or just holding the phone up too high. They are even in hotels and condo lobbies walking through the place viewing rooms. If your in the facility, pool or gym your fair game it seems.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2023 at 3:55 AM, PJ71 said:

Erm, get a bike or a car? no matter where you live i'd consider that essential.

How would you suggest one gets home after drinks in Central Pattaya, without riding / driving whilst intoxicated, getting ripped off?

• Like 1