You're so American!

Jingthing

18 minutes ago, happydreamer said:

They're state abbreviations...not state acronyms.  

PA ... Pennsylvania

TN .. Tennessee

MS ... Mississippi

Acronyms

NWA .. NorthWest Airlines

DL ... Delta Airlines

DTW ... Detroit airport (Detroit Metropolitan Airport located in Wayne County)

You're welcome

Going by the definition of abbreviation, Pennsylvania should be Penn., Tennessee...Tenn and Mississippi.... Miss, just as Lancashire is Lancs, Yorkshire is Yorks, and Shropshire Salop. Ooooh where did that come from?

Why is Abbreviation such a long word?   555

• Love It 1

15 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Some of those I meet (younger) have like 12-18 days and add flexible days on top of that. Often works 12-16 hours a day or a flat out 48 hour week. 

Edit note for less money than 200k a year.

200K+ are some high earners in the US and from my experience the employers treat them rather well.  I dont think anyone under the age of 35-40 would have anything good to say about working in the corporate world.

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Tell us how you really feel about the Donald then, LOL

It's pretty obvious you really like talking about him, given he's not what the topic is about.

I was responding to another poster. All threads drift a bit, but since one 'tell' of being American is a guy in a red hat with a silly slogan on it, it's appropriate.

And yes, I have nothing but contempt for 45. He epitomizes all of the worst qualities in the US: loud, entitled, obese, corrupt, self-absorbed, willfully ignorant...all of the things the OP's post elicited from non-Americans.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Going by the definition of abbreviation, Pennsylvania should be Penn., Tennessee...Tenn and Mississippi.... Miss, just as Lancashire is Lancs, Yorkshire is Yorks, and Shropshire Salop. Ooooh where did that come from?

Why is Abbreviation such a long word?   555

I'd do a bit more research if I were you

https://about.usps.com/who/profile/history/state-abbreviations.htm

5 minutes ago, happydreamer said:

I'd do a bit more research if I were you

https://about.usps.com/who/profile/history/state-abbreviations.htm

So it was the Post Office who wanted the two letter acronums.

It looked good in 1943 when they were abbreviations!   555

Your zip codes cannot be any more complicated than the UK Postcodes.

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

that's the best sales pitch i've ever seen for the stock market.

nice job. 

I don't need to pitch you dude.  I get nothing from it.   

I quit working corporate jobs at 40 and turned to my own thing after 5 years of traveling the world.  

Do and believe what you want.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So it was the Post Office who wanted the two letter acronums.

It looked good in 1943 when they were abbreviations!   555

Your zip codes cannot be any more complicated than the UK Postcodes.

Really don't care about the complexity of whatever it is you're babbling about.  Ive provided you resources and information on what they're called.  Call em whatever you want.  They're abbreviations by multiple definitions.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

red hat with a silly slogan on it

I just left a part of the USA where I might see at least a half dozen such hats whenever I left my house. And not one, but two confederate flags wafting in the breeze across the road.

Two jokey bits:

1) My wife's kid boyfriend always wore a red hat. I told him that he should get one in black so it could match when he wore a grey or black suit.

And then he went out and bought a black one and thanked me for the dress for success advice. 

2) I was trolling in a redneck gift shop and noted that the hat was made in China. I said, "hat made in china, election baked in Russia". The goober replied, "whatever it takes".

Edited by LaosLover
  • Haha 1

Liberals who fear civil war with these losers make me laugh.

They organized a Confederate Flag rally and it had only a single attendee: a guy who was selling confederate flags. And myself, of course, wearing a culturally neutral Garth Brooks tee shirt.

In one of the most misguided rap records ever, LL Cool J riffed with a nobody country act, "don't criticize my doo rag; I won't criticize your red flag" .

It has become my mission in life to find, in the wild, a red flag doo rag. It exists, google image it.

But of course, that Gomer didn't have one. I wouldn't leave it alone. I kept berating him about not having stuff that the young want.

I made him watch the video on his phone, possibly the first black person willingly viewed on a screen in that particular county, ever. Like for 15 minutes. You can troll Trump people forever. Truly, to the one, the ultimate Johnny NoMates.

Then one day, my brother in laws showed up with the complete Dukes of Hazard DVD box set. The reason: the con flag had been optically censored off the hood of the car in re-runs.

He had bought it so that his kids would know their heritage. They looked at a DVD the way that I might look at a 78 RPM record.

Edited by LaosLover

32 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Liberals who fear civil war with these losers make me laugh. They organized a Confederate Flag rally and had only a single attendee: a guy who was selling confederate flags. I trolled him too.

This might amuse/surprise/shock non-Americans...

When I go visit the US, I always go to a famous Gun Show. It would make the suks of Quetta in Pakistan look safe in comparison. Thousands of guns for sale on tables in a venue the size of a Boeing factory.....semi-auto handguns, revolvers, shotguns, rifles, sniper rifles (some .50 caliber, which at 2000 meters still has more stopping power than a .44 magnum fired point blank), AR-15s, AK-47s...and for those with the right license, fully automatic machine guns. All it takes to go home with a hundred guns and tens of thousands of rounds of ammo is a two minute FBI check online. Cash and carry. There are even bins full of 30-100 rd mags for AR-15s, in case the usual 30 rd magazine is insufficient for one's needs. Guys bring in dollies and wheel out boxes and boxes of ammo. There's all kinds of knives as well as vendors selling every 'prepper' good imaginable. The conversations I overhear are filled with boasts about what some goober is going to do "when the civil war starts".

The crowd is around 95% right wing, the rest being people looking for home protection or who enjoy target shooting. Photos of 45 sit atop many tables, and one can buy t-shirts saying things like "HIllary for Prison 2016" or "Let's Go Brandon" (representing an epithet aimed at Biden...that sprung from a NASCAR race and an announcer who misunderstood what the crowd was chanting), or "I'd Rather Be Russian than Democrat", etc. For the women, there's crochet kits where she can sew in the words to the Second Amendment (the one that grants citizens the right to bear, but not all, arms). Oh, and Confederate flags, Nazi memorabilia, and similar stuff.

What stands out even more than the guns is that the average show goer is morbidly obese. I doubt most could run up a flight of stairs. I sometimes count people I think are 300+ lbs (134kg), both men and women, and I stop counting after 100. Ready for battle they are not.

I stand out because I'm quite fit, I tend to dress neatly, and I guess I appear as if my IQ might be above room temperature. The whole show is very much one side of America, and one I absolutely do not miss. I'm just a bit of a moth to a flame, and I like to scout out the opposition.

Edited by Walker88
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

When I go visit the US, I always go to a famous Gun Show. It would make the suks of Quetta in Pakistan look safe in comparison. Thousands of guns for sale on tables in a venue the size of a Boeing factory.....semi-auto handguns, revolvers, shotguns, rifles, sniper rifles (some .50 caliber, which at 2000 meters still has more stopping power than a .44 magnum fired point blank), AR-15s, AK-47s...and for those with the right license, fully automatic machine guns. All it takes to go home with a hundred guns and tens of thousands of rounds of ammo is a two minute FBI check online. Cash and carry. There are even bins full of 30-100 rd mags for AR-15s, in case the usual 30 rd magazine is insufficient for one's needs. Guys bring in dollies and wheel out boxes and boxes of ammo. There's all kinds of knives as well as vendors selling every 'prepper' good imaginable. The conversations I overhear are filled with boasts about what some goober is going to do "when the civil war starts".

The crowd is around 95% right wing, the rest being people looking for home protection or who enjoy target shooting. Photos of 45 sit atop many tables, and one can buy t-shirts saying things like "HIllary for Prison 2016" or "Let's Go Brandon" (representing an epithet aimed at Biden...that sprung from a NASCAR race and an announcer who misunderstood what the crowd was chanting), or "I'd Rather Be Russian than Democrat", etc. For the women, there's crochet kits where she can sew in the words to the Second Amendment (the one that grants citizens the right to bear, but not all, arms). Oh, and Confederate flags, Nazi memorabilia, and similar stuff.

What stands out even more than the guns is that the average show goer is morbidly obese. I doubt most could run up a flight of stairs. I sometimes count people I think are 300+ lbs (134kg), both men and women, and I stop counting after 100. Ready for battle they are not.

I stand out because I'm quite fit, I tend to dress neatly, and I guess I appear as if my IQ might be above room temperature. The whole show is very much one side of America, and one I absolutely do not miss. I'm just a bit of a moth to a flame, and I like to scout out the opposition.

It takes a bit more than just guys with guns and ammo. Of course they can create hell locally, but without leaders, structure and discipline as well logistics they got nothing no matter how big they would manage to grow. Where to hide in Us? 

But if a x president would be re-elected, and start changing the system then there will be a problem, but not much resistance. It will happen quicker than you would know, and those right wings would protect and back every move he did. No doubt

22 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

My fave Jan 6th moment was the idiots climbing up the wall of the Capitol Building

-with a staircase six feet away. 

I was a fan of the guy with the viking helmet who was arrested and subsequently went on a food strike because he couldn't get organic food

• Haha 2

"I was once on a biking tour in Europe, and there was one man who blatantly fit the bill: He had an unusual beard and huge white teeth, he was extremely friendly and a bit loud, and he literally carried a jar of peanut butter with him (he said that it was the most efficient way to fuel up for his exercise).".......

Sounds like Bill Walton was on the tour.

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

Euro's love tales confirming their many pet prejudices about the states -just like I like google-imaging up 'Drunk Slag in tube top - UK midlands city.

I am in possession of a Goodfella's-level New York accent -at least, when I am back among my people.

Brits used to beg me to do it. But I made them buy me a drink first.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Euro's love tales confirming their many pet prejudices about the states -just like I like google-imaging up 'Drunk Slag in tube top - UK midlands city.

I am in possession of a Goodfella's-level New York accent -at least, when I am back among my people.

Brits used to beg me to do it. But I made them buy me a drink first.

Yeah well when I speak a few words 100 percent of native English speakers can place me and often say so you're American. No need to ask. As if I didn't know.

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Wonderful new statue unveiled in his honour 

Standing Two Stories Tall, a Hank Willis Thomas Sculpture Honoring Martin  Luther King Jr. Is Unveiled on Boston Common | Artnet News

The Embrace... I'm not feeling it.

Art .. in eyes of beholder, come to mind ????

An interesting read:

https://time.com/5930571/martin-luther-king-jr-fbi/

He wouldn't have made it in today's world.  The womanizing and plagiarism for his Ph'd would have ended him.

https://news.sky.com/story/mlk-fbi-they-thought-his-illicit-affairs-would-destroy-him-but-the-press-wouldnt-touch-it-12181421

Edited by KhunLA

That statue seems to have been plucked right from the middle of Hieronymous Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights painting.

And I want to get in first with the Chris Rock joke:

"If I want to buy hard drugs in any town in America, I go to the street called Martin Luther King Boulevard"

15 hours ago, treetops said:

One abbreviation. One Airline IATA Code and one Airport IATA Code.

Acronyms are also abbreviations but can be pronounced as a word like NASA, NATO etc.

The Americans seem to have those Big letters for virtually everything.

FBI, CIA, POTUS, NIH, FDA, BARDA, DARPA, NASA, CDC, HLS. Not even thinking about the individual states. It's very confusing at times.

Edited by owl sees all

37 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

FBI, CIA, POTUS, NIH, FDA, BARDA, DARPA, NASA, CDC, HLS. Not even thinking about the individual states. It's very confusing at times.

When I was in the Army it was NFI.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Not just the Yanks, so do other countries, UK for example... NCA. MI6, MI5, PM, NIHR, MHRA, UKHSA, NHS, etc.

• Like 1