Bangkok cabbies must get meters officially adjusted to new fares

webfact

I’ll bet most don’t even work since they haven’t been used for years. Wonder how they’ll manage to turn them on and change the rates? And what tourists will even know what the new rates will be.  I’ve had some good experiences and some really bad ones. It’s a flip of the coin. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Seksom Akraphand, deputy director-general of the Land Transport Department, said that the service at the railway station can accommodate 1,600-1,800 cars a day, adding that, after the meters are adjusted, they will be officially certified and sealed

And possibly tampered with later.

4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Exactly how will the public know which taxis have had the necessary adjustments made ??

If the rate is based on baht per km, when you enter the taxi shouldn't you see the rate for the first km? Out by Rama 2 it's been 35  baht (up through today) so if the taxi now shows a higher rate, the meter has been adjusted?

In the time allocated approximately 65,000 taxis can be accommodated.  I found two figures for taxi numbers in BKK (100,000 in 2012, Wikipedia and 150,000 in 2019; https://www.covankessel.com/blog/how-to-take-a-taxi-in-bangkok#:~:text=There are more than 150.000 taxi’s in Bangkok, newer Toyota cars and are spacious and airconditioned.).

If the 2019 figure is anywhere near the mark it would mean 80,000 taxis wouldn't be able to have their meters adjusted.  Unless my figures are cr@p.

I must still be the luckiest guy in BKK. I use a taxi several times a week often later at night and afternoons. I open the back door, I say hello in Thai, I say where I'm going in Thai ( extremely easy to learn) and start to get in the back seat. 99.5% of the time he/ she hits the meter and we are off! I will never understand the comments on this forum about Bangkok taxi drivers not using the meter.  Two notes. I NEVER approach a waiting taxi and when I'm on a busy street I always am on the side of street going in my direction.  Also I almost never use a taxi weekdays between 5:30-7:30pm. That is what the sky train is for.