The Baht Thread

People think they can know what the baht exchange rate will do (i.e., in the future).

The only 100% sure thing anyone can say about the exchange rate of any two currencies, just like the only 100% sure thing anyone can say about the stock market, is:

"It will fluctuate."

Anyone who says they know what the baht exchange rate will be next month or next year (against pound, dollar, yen, whatever) -- or even if it will go up or down -- is simply full of it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

All irrelevant ... money comes in, bank tells me what it's worth.

Last Oct/Nov ฿37+ / $1 USD, this month's DD ฿34, next month ฿32, hopefully.

Stay above ฿30 / $1 ... I'm satisfied, not happy, but what I think and the 'why', doesn't matter.

If it goes to 29.54 will that upset you?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

This is an excellent write up and very informative. 

You don't mention benchmark interest rate, but as we are coming out of the 10 year long zero interest rate period, I think exchange rates will be heavily influenced on how high different central banks set the national interest rate.

A good point about interest rates that I hadn't considered, it was not easy to know where to draw the boundaries on this. Plus I don't really have a view on interest rates, I suspect that's just as thorny as exchange rates although probably not as emotive. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

You missed the point, the thread is not about what the rate might be, it's about the underlying factors are that contribute to whatever it might be.

No, I got the point.  Just reminding folks that even understanding those factors better is not really going to help you to make the kind of predictions you so often see people making all the time (on this forum and elsewhere).

There are some exceptions, of course.  While I agree it is highly improbably that the Thai government or central bank is manipulating the baht, if it WERE to try to manipulate it, or some other large entity tried to manipulate it (AND you had insider knowledge of that manipulation), then you'd have a better basis for prediction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JTXR said:

No, I got the point.  Just reminding folks that even understanding those factors better is not really going to help you to make the kind of predictions you so often see people making all the time (on this forum and elsewhere).

There are some exceptions, of course.  While I agree it is highly improbably that the Thai government or central bank is manipulating the baht, if it WERE to try to manipulate it, or some other large entity tried to manipulate it (AND you had insider knowledge of that manipulation), then you'd have a better basis for prediction.

Yes I agree. It's pure folly of course to try and predict short term interest rates but trying to establish direction. based on sound reasoning, is worth some effort. I said in a separate thread that I thought another poster was correct when he said he could see that Pound/Baht would reach 30 within ten years. That to me is not predicting exchange rates, that's about establishing trend and direction which is a different game entirely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

Yes I agree. It's pure folly of course to try and predict short term interest rates but trying to establish direction. based on sound reasoning, is worth some effort. I said in a separate thread that I thought another poster was correct when he said he could see that Pound/Baht would reach 30 within ten years. That to me is not predicting exchange rates, that's about establishing trend and direction which is a different game entirely.

I agreew itht he main thrust of this.  Whether it reaches 30 in ten years or twenty is open to debate, but since the UK "mature" economy is in decline, while the Thai "third(?) world" economy is growing, there is only one way for the trend to go.

PH

• Thanks 1