Committee Set to Decide on Tourist Entry Fee

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

According to Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, the committee will be asked to approve the same rate for tourists arriving by air, land, and boat. If the proposal is approved, the collection of the fee will begin on June 1st.

That man has the best job in Thailand.. 

Tourism is not improving that much - pent up demand came and went.  Word around the campfire from around the world Chinese are not travelling and sources on the ground confirm this.  

The tourism industry is flopping.  Take your pick what it is - nitpicking, high airline fees (more than likely this) and hesitancy to travel.  

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, blackcab said:

I wonder how that is going to work.

Same as years ago - you had to hand over (I think it was 500 baht at that time) to leave the country, now you'll have to do it to enter the country. No cash, no entry. I think this one is more predictable and makes more sense than sayonara tax, as at that time many had no cash left and were begging others to be able to leave, unaware of that requirement. Mostly people still have money when arriving...

36 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I do not trust govt numbers. Why should I? Do you? Who else are they including besides real tourists? 

Then you have the few Chinese who have come. Possibly because many are still trying to obtain passports....since they did not issue any for the past 3 years

Edited by ThailandRyan

Why not add it to the exit fee (700 baht) already charged?  That way there will be no discrimination against anyone.  This is another way for the IO to collect tea money from tourists with unreal exchange rates.  From memory you cannot get baht from an ATM before Immigration or after security on the arrival/departure side.  Please correct me if this has changed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jcmj said:

It should be exempt for retired people as well. They still don’t understand how much we contribute to the economy. We don’t even get the discount Thai rate anymore at the parks. Could give us a little break. 

Allowing that the Royal Thai government does not care ... I agree that, after 10 years retired residence in the Kingdom of Thailand I am not a "tourist". I am a resident of Thailand as my only global country of residence.

Instead of studying tourism in any Western university I might suggest that such students just keep reading, what those experts in Thailand do with their country. Epic teaching material and new stuff coming each and every day!

Keep up the good work; one day you'll be surprised. And, on that note, be aware that you can do many things with money - except eating it! 

It's not the 300 Baht (no clue how they want to collect that at Bangkok's airports which are a mess in the arrival halls by people being slowly screened by immigration or wait 90 minutes for luggage off a domestic flight. No, it is the clear message "you tourist, you are here to be skinned alive and there is nothing you can do about it." Same with national parks, museums etc. - Well, there is something those tourists can do and that is voting with their feet! You've been warned, the writing is in huge big capital letters on the wall! 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

It's not the 300 Baht (no clue how they want to collect that at Bangkok's airports which are a mess in the arrival halls by people being slowly screened by immigration or wait 90 minutes for luggage off a domestic flight. No, it is the clear message "you tourist, you are here to be skinned alive and there is nothing you can do about it." Same with national parks, museums etc. - Well, there is something those tourists can do and that is voting with their feet! You've been warned, the writing is in huge big capital letters on the wall! 

I agree and it is all but apparent for those that have spent any amount of time in Thailand.  

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I do not trust govt numbers. Why should I? Do you? Who else are they including besides real tourists? 

I didn't say I trusted the numbers. I just mentioned the other topic. But yes, "tourists", according to the TAT are also job seekers from neighbouring countries, salesmen, and expats, some of whom may cross the border a dozen times a year, perhaps not even staying 24 hours...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Same as years ago - you had to hand over (I think it was 500 baht at that time) to leave the country, now you'll have to do it to enter the country. No cash, no entry. I think this one is more predictable and makes more sense than sayonara tax, as at that time many had no cash left and were begging others to be able to leave, unaware of that requirement. Mostly people still have money when arriving...

The 500 baht (later 700 baht) was the Don Muang airport tax, which was only later incorporated into the flight ticket.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

9 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I didn't say I trusted the numbers. I just mentioned the other topic. But yes, "tourists", according to the TAT are also job seekers from neighbouring countries, salesmen, and expats, some of whom may cross the border a dozen times a year, perhaps not even staying 24 hours...

So what should they do, count termites or bats? 

The numbers are an indication of how things are going based on how they change.... it will not include a large number who cross land borders illegally.. quite a few of those. Someone who visits for 24 hours is not a tourist why? 

Edited by jacko45k

What I am more interested in is how would airline at the other end of the World know whether to charge the fee or not, based on whether foreigner has a work permit? Are they experts in checking digital work permits as well? Or do you now have to carry work permit booklet with you on the trips? Ehm.... more interested in this than how collecting of tax would actually happen...