Thailand’s tuk-tuks go green amid rising demand for electric models

webfact

image.jpeg
Electric tuk-tuks in Bangkok. Their number in Thailand nearly doubled to 498 last year. Photograph: Setthasiri Chanjarhatpong/MuvMi

Travel without the combustion-engine fumes and noise is increasingly popular in the country with some of the world’s worst air pollution

Rebecca Root in Bangkok

Thailand’s iconic, gas-guzzling tuk-tuks are being replaced by a greener, more energy efficient model, offering travellers a more environmentally friendly way of getting around what is one of the world’s worst countries when it comes to air pollution.

“The benefits are quite clear in terms of the environment”, says Krisada Kritayakirana, co-founder and CEO of start-up Urban Mobility Tech. “When you use traditional tuk-tuks, you can smell the gas and it sometimes could be unpleasant. With the electric tuk-tuks, basically you don’t have any noise and you don’t have any emission from tailpipes.”

In 2021, the levels of the pollutant PM2.5m in Thailand were four times higher than World Health Organization guidance. Inhalation of PM2.5 can cause respiratory problems and heart issues. In 2019, pollution was to blame for more than 31,000 deaths in the country.

“In big cities like Bangkok [or] Chiang Mai, the key source would be the incomplete combustion in diesel engine vehicles,” says Kannika Thampanishvong, senior research fellow on climate change policy and green growth at the Thailand Development Research Institute. As of 2019, there were almost 20,000 tuk-tuks in Thailand, typically powered by internal combustion engines.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/19/thailands-tuk-tuks-go-green-amid-rising-demand-for-electric-models

guardian.jpg
-- © Copyright The Guardian 2023-01-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

Once upon a time they were all running on fossil fuel and then about 20 years or so they have all converted to LPG and now to electricity, what's next? being run by Uranium where each Tuk Tuk will have its own nuclear reactors?...

They have... I thought they still mostly belched smoke from some mystery fossil fuel?

6 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Once upon a time they were all running on fossil fuel and then about 20 years or so they have all converted to LPG and now to electricity, what's next? being run by Uranium where each Tuk Tuk will have its own nuclear reactors?...

Soi dog poo as it has that rich smell..

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

They can go 'green' or yellow, or whatever colour, but I personally won't use them, for obvious reasons.

Your loss. They are awesome to ride in and the combination of using the app to order and pay is unbeatable for short city trips.. No more haggling with cabs or risking your life on a bike taxi 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Shielded by very shiny tinplate cladding attached by a combination of pop rivets and cable ties.

I understand that the purple light duct taped onto the back indicates that they are nuclear powered - along with the driver who glows in the dark.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ugghuggh said:

Your loss. They are awesome to ride in and the combination of using the app to order and pay is unbeatable for short city trips.. No more haggling with cabs or risking your life on a bike taxi 

they are dangerous, i have seen several overturn, noisy polluters. this replacement initiative is long overdue. and for once relays a positive message. hopefully the charging point infrastructure will be in place to support them.

Edited by it is what it is

With going electric will they install meters?  I wonder why the DLT doesn't make these abominations have meters.  If you are tall like me it is the most uncomfortable way to travel on public transport.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yep, in the 80's they were all 2 stroke. In those days tuk tuks were everywhere in Bangkok. Taxis were far fewer. Given that most rides involve one or two passengers, tuk tuks make far more sense. I miss them as a reminder of the old days.

• Like 2

Many cities in India are limited to electric tuk tuks. (auto rickshaws). They are very slow. Wonder if the newer models are faster

Having taken many on the sub continent you become expert at checking out the back suspension to ensure a smoother ride.

It's a shame that in Bangkok they have become synonymous with rip offs.

If ever in India a good pricing rule... 50 rupees ..short ride...up to 5 minutes. 100 rupees for ten minutes. Anything over 10 minutes= uber/ola

23 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Chiang mai is full of the filthy stinky ones.  They should all be banned immediately. 

Yep. Chiang Mai is the absolute worst for them. Just one going by can leave a stench for minutes. Gov needs to get its act together and force the M Fs to go electric or have their pos crushed. 

A positive development. I hate motorcycle tub-tuks. Apart from the rip off pricing, they are smelly, dirty, noisy, unsafe and uncomfortable with rude ill-mannered drivers (yes I realise I am generalising and that the odd driver may not be a pig).

Overall I find nothing 'loveable' about this medieval form of transport. I would always rather walk than use a tuk-tuk.

Edited by Pedrogaz
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 6:24 AM, Pedrogaz said:

A positive development. I hate motorcycle tub-tuks. Apart from the rip off pricing, they are smelly, dirty, noisy, unsafe and uncomfortable with rude ill-mannered drivers (yes I realise I am generalising and that the odd driver may not be a pig).

Overall I find nothing 'loveable' about this medieval form of transport. I would always rather walk than use a tuk-tuk.

Don't see how converting to electric makes them safe, comfortable and with polite, well mannered drivers..

Is it very special electricity with magic powers?

• 3 months later...
On 4/27/2023 at 12:34 PM, KannikaP said:

On 1/22/2023 at 7:32 PM, mrfill said:

Don't see how converting to electric makes them safe, comfortable and with polite, well mannered drivers..

Is it very special electricity with magic powers?

OK. Let me help you.. 

Muvi have seat belt. They max out at 50kph which is plenty on sukhumvit. Since everything is done on app there's no haggling or cash, you can monitor location and know what vehicle or driver was used should you forget something.. 

You feedback on your individual ride which makes the driver behave 

Pretty gamechanging compared to any other ride..