New advertising restrictions; your products can’t be called "The Best"!

webfact

image.jpeg

By Editor

The Royal Gazette has published an announcement restricting the use of certain phrases in advertisements as they are said to mislead customers when purchasing products or services.

Under the rules which are now in force, phrases that can cause confusion or misunderstanding are prohibited.  They include superlatives such as ‘’best’’, ‘’finest’’ and the ‘’one and only’’ and terms that guarantee satisfaction such as ‘’money back guarantee.’’

The announcement also requires written advertisements to be clearly displayed in Thai, although it is unclear how this effects English language publication. Announcers in radio and television commercials are to speak clearly and not too fast.

For broadcast media, text must be clearly displayed for no less than five seconds and the text height must occupy at least a 25th of the screen height.  Customers must be informed of the terms and conditions of any free offers or services.

The use of such superlatives in local advertising is easy to find.  For example ‘’the ultimate experience’’ or ‘’the best in Thailand.’’  Whether quoting review sites which rank various establishments as being the best in a location is also questionable.

And our non-favourite advertising description – the word ‘’unique’’.  As no two establishments are ever exactly the same, they could all be described as unique, but not necessary in a positive way.  So what does that description really mean?

Source: https://royalcoastreview.com/2023/01/new-advertising-restrictions-your-business-cant-be-called-the-best/

image.png

-- © Copyright Royal Coast Review 2023-01-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

I'd like to get to know a couple of these people who make these kind of decisions/proclamations, just so I could judge how ditzy they are.  But it's all probably done by committee after many paid lunch meetings.  I'm sure there is an algorithm for calculating the stupidity ratio based on the number of members and such. 

To be fair, I should study my Thai language and culture for another 10 years and read all they write about this in Thai before I grouse about it.  But if I ask my Thai wife about it, she'd say "What the hell do you expect?" and look at me like I'm a moron. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I think they are screwing the consumer on money back guarantee, but I guess there are many ways that they can adjust the wording or just tell the customer if they don’t like it, tough sht. The government won’t let me do it. ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daveAustin said:

Does this extend to ‘SALE’, I wonder? You know, those stores where everything has been on 50% sale for like 10 years. 

or those that have been closing soon, going out of business everything must be sold at the Best, Reduced prices.....

I do agree with the bit about not talking too fast.

Listen to the ads on LBC radio, UK, and most have them have 'T&Cs' spoken so quickly they are not understandable.

Same as the 'small print' at the bottom of TV ads. 

• Like 1

Have to start thinking of alternative expressions.

Not as good as some but not the worst.

Our products are worth buying. So buy now! 

Let us give you the spa of a lifetime. It won't kill you.

We don't guarantee a happy ending. But money helps. 

Out airport van service won't roll over and explode. 

• Haha 1