Care for an 85 year old ?

keefryan

as you have many friends there ask them if theyir wifes (close relatives) are able to spare some time for helping your mother. They don't need any medical training. That would be cheaper than agency trained staff, possibly by half.

At some stage she become home/bed ridden and will need 24h care, so plan for live in (one extra bedroom for carer). Also garden and large patio/balcony when is too hot/too rainy to go out for a walk.

• Like 1

To each their own but I'm not one that favors bringing her to Thailand with dementia or Azheimer. 

But in the Pattaya area I've seen a facility down on Soi Siam Country behind the CC condo across is the Wanasin market use to be Estiny resort turn into a care facility.

Good luck. 

There are no easy options to people in this situation, i had a parent die of dementia so have seen first hand the distress it causes, as you are aware her condition will only get worse and she will need 24hr care( i have had friends with parents in the same situation and the elderly have always ended up in a hospice), the government publish this list, . i see you want to care for her at home which is great, do not underestimate how much this takes out of you time/emotionally, home help can be tricky as there is a huge difference between helping someone who is frail and Alzheimer's/ dementia care,  I hope everything works out for you

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/thailand-care-homes/list-of-care-homes-for-british-nationals-in-thailand

The only place that i have seen with a fantastic reputation is in Chang mai

https://mckean.or.th/dok-kaew-gardens/

• Like 1

Look up the internet site, R4K ., The man based in Pattaya whose site this is has employed a full time nurse from a Bangkok agency to care for his wife. He says he is very happy with the service she gives. He mentions this in this video. Maybe he can advise you.

Edited by Gandtee
spelling
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, keefryan said:

Thanks so much for this !     It seems like we will be self insuring for our loved one in there final years , She wants to come to thailand and be with me and i will feel so much better about her care and morally about myself , Avoiding the horrors of a Government care home , Not to mention the 5K a month + in the UK  

It's great that you can do this. 
My parents both had Alzheimer's and they stayed in their own home in the UK until they died (Dad 7 years ago, Mum just this past December).  They had 24 hour live in care for 10 years (Dad for 3 years, Mum for the full 10 years). 
They lived for almost 40 years in Asia, but once they moved back to the UK they wanted to stay there. 

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

At some stage she become home/bed ridden and will need 24h care, so plan for live in (one extra bedroom for carer). Also garden and large patio/balcony when is too hot/too rainy to go out for a walk.

Yes good idea, there is no special training needed, it is surprising how many Thais are willing to live in, no rent to pay, and take care i.e. Feed, shower, and dress someone. we i.e. my Wife, found a lady to call in on our friend every 2 days for just 4k a month, as he eventually needed 24/7 care She eventually moved in with him, so she was 3k a week better off, no bills to pay ether. Ask around your friends wives if you can.

• Like 1

Soon be facing a similar problem but since my mother would never agree to moving  here I will have to make the move back to the UK to care for her for at least 6 months a year. Wife can't come with me as has to care for her own elderly mum next door to us.

Good luck to the OP. I'm sure he's doing the right and best thing. Wish I had the option.

• Like 2

OP your plan is feasible assuming you can afford it. It will cost less if you source the care giver privately as opposed to using an agency, but such agencies do exist.

If/when it gets to the point where she is no longer manageable at home  -- or manageable only with 24 hour skilled care which would be quite expensive  (and remember the condition is progressive so this may  well occur) -- then the best place in Thailand for her would be

https://mckean.or.th/dok-kaew-gardens/

which is in Chiang Mai.

In considering costs don't forget financial requirements for her visa (and yours if you are nto already here in Thailand).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

I thought the UK is a welfare state with a free care home for such?

Thanks for the reply   However as my mum owns the house and the land its on she has to pay for her own care until her assets/cash are depleted to only £23500 then she would get government assistance.  The UK social care system is ruthless.   kr 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They sell your house to pay for the care home.

But free for those who rent or are homeless.

Yes.  Correct. Thats exactly what they will do,and we will have no choice if we stay in the UK . I can't afford to pay for private care at £5k+ a month even before i pay any bills or have a life . We will have approx £450k in cash if we sell the house and move there , even earning 3% on no risk deposit gives us at least 20 years .

Edited by keefryan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Just curious, but do they look at assets other than real estate to decide if they will pay? 

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs40_deprivation_of_assets_in_social_care_fcs.pdf

They are ruthless. They are looking for Cash and property . You also have to explain any expenditure you have made , even if you earnt it and paid tax on it .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

What's the plan for her if you die first? Just asking.

Fair Question.    i have arranged for another family member to be on standby if i was hospitalised or worse to fly to thailand to get her. 

Good point tho.  ????

10 hours ago, keefryan said:

I was assuming that it would be a retirement visa ?   Grateful for any suggestions on this.   kr

I suggest you post in the visa forum.

Assuming you are over age 50 you can get a visa based on retirement if you meet the financial requirements --  basically 800k baht in Thai bank (with restrictions on spending it)  or proof of 65k baht a month brought in from abroad every month. Your mother  could also get a retirement visa (same requirements)  but might be able to instead get a dependent visa linked to your retirement visa -- I am not sure on that (spouses and children can, just not sure re elderly parent)  so ask in visa forum.

Also note that there are 2 types of visas possible, non-O and non OA. The second one requires proof of insurance.  Some embassues are also requiring insurance  for the initial non-O  but after that not needed for annual extensions. There is a work-around whereby can enter on tourist visa or visa exempt then convert to non-O in country which avoids this requirement.

Above is just a rough explanation and there and more complexities. Suggest you start reading up on This in the visa Forum and post specific question re dependent visa for your  Mom there.