Foreigners Allegedly Using Stolen Foreign Credit Cards to Buy Expensive Items in Phuket

webfact

On the dark web, you can buy like 100000 zillion identities, so I'm sure this has been going on in countries like Thailand for decades and decades and will continue going until.........

they actually use genuine Windows software.   

OK, you lost 300,000....let me check your computer.   Dude, you are using a hacked version of Windows?    Really?  Really?   lol

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Hakuna Matata said:

The old trick. The legitimate cards are being skimmed in Europe and US, the extracted magnetic stripe data is copied to a new card. You don't need a PIN verification if you show your ID at the point of sale.

If required by the issuing bank, my card machine requires a pin code. Having a passport on hand doesn't help, pin is required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jaywalker said:

The banks still operate on Windows 3.1

"No hab budget" for upgrade.

... Pirate copy of it, no hab money to buy authentic... 

ATM.jpg

Edited by mran66

Maybe the people didn’t catch it instantly.  And the story says nothing about  each individuals  stolen card information being used for extended periods of time.. 
The victims might have had their cards in their possession.  The information could have been stolen by a skimming device.  Or a card used in a place of business where an employee takes the card away to process.  Then makes a copy of the card.  Among many other ways. 
Stolen card information is also sold on the dark web. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

The old trick. The legitimate cards are being skimmed in Europe and US, the extracted magnetic stripe data is copied to a new card. You don't need a PIN verification if you show your ID at the point of sale.

What I was thinking too. The owner of the card is unaware that the card details have been skimmed. You can skim card details by just standing next to the person I think nowadays. There are sites on the Tor that sell stolen credit cards en masse.

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Confused 1

just another deflection of the "it's not us it's them" .... until now stolen gold necklaces, cash, rolex, etc. were attributed to Thais, they had to stop the blaming of their own thus the best escape goats???? the foreigners 555

Edited by Mavideol

1 hour ago, bunnydrops said:

I have never been asked for a pin number when using my card in a store. Would you tell someone your pin number? It is bad enough that the security code is printed on the card.

Quite so. I think it's quite legitimate to scratch it out, and keep a record of it elsewhere.

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

Is Thailand still in the 20th century when it comes to credit card use? (I've been back in the UK for a while, hence the non-rhetorical question).

I haven't used a signature to pay by card in years and I have never shown a passport to use a card. Everywhere requires a PIN.

Along with the previous comments regarding non-cancellation this does seem a bit odd for 2023.

Credit cards require a signature, or under a certain amount no signature or anything else.

Debit cards require a PIN and no signature.

I don't know about the rules above certain amounts, I am sure there are extra rules.