GOP targets drag shows with new bills in at least 14 states

onthedarkside

52 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

And it helps children by showing them there is more than the two obvious genders and it's not to be feared. It teaches tolerance and understanding; something a lot of you guys could have done with by the sounds of it. 

So thanks for your reply. I was almost agreeing with you until the last part.  Children are quite intelligent and they seem to be mostly tolerant and understand a lot of this stuff on their own. You know, they don't see colour, grown ups do. They're pretty good at understanding stuff. Not sure why you have to rub their nose in it! It's the parents perhaps that want to fit in. Just saying. Oh and thanks for the knife in the last part. My brother was gay and I loved him dearly. 

49 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'll tell you how it can help them. It can reinforce the notion that being gay is not an abnormal part of society which should be shunned and kept in closets, important for the mental development of children.

Like I said this has nothing to do with being gay. Children mostly have the understanding that being gay is not abnormal. Being "shunned or kept in closets". Really. I thought that kind of thinking vanished long ago. But then that's just what I thought. What's important is not screwing up their mental development.

As well as....

"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis in April signed the "Stop WOKE" act, which restricts lessons and training on race and diversity in schools and in the workplace, particularly anything that discusses privilege or oppression based on race, or whether someone "bears personal responsibility for and must feel guilt, anguish, or other forms of psychological distress" due to U.S. racial history. WOKE in the bill stands for "Wrongs to Our Kids and Employees."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/florida-schools-directed-cover-remove-classroom-books-vetted/story?id=96884323

Roberto Clemente book removed from Florida public schools pending review over discrimination references

“His story is his story. He went through racism. It’s something that can’t be changed,” Clemente's son, Roberto Clemente Jr., told NBC News.

A book about late Afro-Puerto Rican MLB legend Roberto Clemente can't be found in the shelves of public school libraries in Florida's Duval County these days.

“Roberto Clemente: Pride of the Pittsburgh Pirates” by Jonah Winter and Raúl Colón — and other books about Latino figures such as the late Afro-Cuban salsa singer Celia Cruz and Justice Sonia Sotomayor — are among the more than 1 million titles that have been "covered or stored and paused for student use” at the Duval County Public Schools District, according to Chief Academic Officer Paula Renfro.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/roberto-clemente-book-removed-florida-public-schools-rcna70081

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 300sd said:

Like I said this has nothing to do with being gay. Children mostly have the understanding that being gay is not abnormal. Being "shunned or kept in closets". Really. I thought that kind of thinking vanished long ago. But then that's just what I thought. What's important is not screwing up their mental development.

Anti LGBTQ stuff has certainly not vanished. Witness the actions of the American fascist party. Putin's Russia and many other countries across the world, probably most severe in Africa. 

My "laughing" emoticon above is expressing my mirth at the prior post and its multiple very interesting news reports....

My my... what those conservatives and Republicans are up to behind closed doors when they're not out trying to persecute and discriminate against gays and people of other sexual preferences....

It seems, they doth protest too much!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

In the U.K. dedicated drag acts (female impersonators) like Danny LaRue, Dame Edna Everage and Lily Savage appeared regularly on t.v., even in Conservative Britain.  If the content was deemed racy they would appear after 9pm , the so-called watershed. No one died.

They didn't perform in schools or libraries for kids though. Not sure why this is necessary now. 

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Exactly how does exposing a child to a normal of society in a non sexualised manner "screw up their mental development"?

A drag performance is not a normal of society though is it. Men dressing up in extravagant women's clothing and makeup, making exaggerated (usually over sexualised) female gestures. Is that a good portrayal of women in society - a good message for kids? 

Drag shows are entertainment for some adults (although I've never understood the appeal), not educational shows for children. 

If you want to push for educational Trans speakers going into schools to fight for their cause, fill yer boots. But arguing for drag performances?

I think you lefties are taking the LGBT argument too far and doing more damage than good for equality in the process.