Cabinet approves tourist fee of 150-300 baht for all foreign tourists

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

So every airline/flight booking portal is going to update their website to ask if you have a Diplomatic passport or Work Permit and charge you accordingly?  

Oh & give you the opportunity to enter your receipt number if you're travelling on a re-entry permit? 

Obviously not so this fee will be charged to everybody (Including my Thai partner if I book us flights together) or (as I suspect will be the case) collected at the airport... Which will be a nightmare, will be canned after 1-2 months & cause irrepareable damage to Thailand's reputation as a tourist desination. 

Very few people care about the 300b but I'll never go to Bali again after having to stand in line for almost 2 hours to pay for a Visa to enter... It's not what I go on holiday to do. 

That is my bet also.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Also, is the amount I pay only going to pay for those that skip out on bills or will it afford me any advantage?

I have to suspect some is going to be siphoned off. If it were all going to pay for medical services the tax would be pushed for by the medical industry; appears to me it is being pushed by the political industry.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

The OP is about Thailand not the rest of the world, or did you miss that?

I certainly haven't missed the hypocrisy on this forum.

You have obviously missed the fact that everything in this life is relative.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Puccini said:

The following paragraph from the news article in the OP (highlighting in bold is mine) seems to suggest that a separate ticket will be issued for this tourist arrival fee, but by whom?

So it seems that, according to your interpretation, the tax can be deducted from the re entry permit fee?

I have some more money making suggestions.

1) CO2 tax, as you come in Thailand, CO2 levels rise, so tax.

You can save on holding your breath and reduce:cheesy:

2) You come to Thailand, you pollute more, so pollution tax.

Eat, drink less and there is a reduction in pollution tax:cheesy:

3) Beach tax for cleaning beaches

If you help, you have tax reduction :cheesy:

However i agree, you pay your bill when  using the hospitals.

This fee comes to $4.42 to  $8.83 USD.

if a person can’t afford that they shouldn’t be traveling anywhere.  They should be staying home.  And probably should be evaluating their own financial situation.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I certainly haven't missed the hypocrisy on this forum.

You have obviously missed the fact that everything in this life is relative.

No I haven't missed that! But comparing Thailand with 40 other countries is at best misleading!

Problem is people go off at tangents and the thread then gets turned into bickering and arguments?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Wont make a hiccup at all, as no one will even know, as its included in the ticket, same as the departure tax has been for decades 

So buying a fly tocket will require you show if you are work permit holder???
They were no such things as departure tax. It was airport tax paid at departue, and it applied to everybdody, no waiver. Today, as in most countrries, this airport tax is inside the fly ticket, yes but that tourist tax... I would love to see how they will implement that.
But sure, better tax the tourist....

4 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

No I haven't missed that! But comparing Thailand with 40 other countries is at best misleading!

Problem is people go off at tangents and the thread then gets turned into bickering and arguments?

Why would a comparison be misleading. Only yesterday the forum was debating the Asia Power Index with many thinking Thailand should be at the bottom.

Obviously you prefer there was no Tourist Tax Index in case Thailand was at the bottom.

The arguments come from people complaining when there is nothing to complain about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You know how it works... they try and get money out of you, if it works, good, if not, they move on. 

Just don't go anywhere, stay in Thailand, watch out for tourist traps, use the ATM when no one is behind you, and be happy your alive and kicking..

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Once they wake up and realise that tourists have decided to go to more inviting countries they will once again do a u turn but that may be to late the only thing that they will achieve is the tourism industry suffering 

Do you believe wealthy Asians  care? 

Thailand have announced their goal is more wealthy tourists and less budget tourists. 

They do not want shameless tank top or shirtless tourists who buy beer at 7/11 anymore or in the cheap sex bars. Have seen a change after covid, where more Thai frequently visits placed mostly western visited before.

I do not believe they worry about those who get upset by 300 baht.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2