Pattaya City Bans Parking on Beach Side, Effective From March 1st

snoop1130

327015997_703547778138627_2486567267412167805_n-696x522.jpg

PHOTO: IPattaya

Starting from March 1st, 2023, parking on the Pattaya beach side will not be allowed, according to Pattaya mayor Poramase Ngampiches.

The move was reportedly prompted by an increase in traffic issues after tourism in the city started to pick up.

This caused polarizing reactions on social media, with many residents saying it was a good decision. However, those living outside Pattaya said they would stop coming to the city, asking where they would park their vehicle now that the ban is back.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/02/15/pattaya-city-bans-parking-on-beach-side-effective-from-march-1st/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-02-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

People will be parking at the mall.

There is no other significant parking close to the beach.  Should be interesting how long it lasts.

Tree Town is a large parking area ???????????? in the center. They should just remove all the huts blocking the place and they are done. After Songkran there won't be many "quality tourists" anyway ????????????.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mickeymaus said:

Tree Town is a large parking area ???????????? in the center. They should just remove all the huts blocking the place and they are done. After Songkran there won't be many "quality tourists" anyway ????????????.

simple solution, allow parking on beach road

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

There has to be a bunch of empty lots on the baht bus route where some kind of parking solution can be hastily cobbled together, yes?

There are many empty spaces all over. Why not somebody (Or the city) convert them to parking and start charging a parking fee like 200 baht for all day and 20 baht by the hour. May be ROI does not make economic sense? I parked in Central or on the other mall a few times when I could not find road side parking. 

Edited by Xanthe
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Xanthe said:

There are many empty spaces all over. Why not somebody (Or the city) convert them to parking and start charging a parking fees like 200 baht for all day and 20 baht by the hour

On many empty places are banana trees. The reason is if the land is not used they have to pay higher taxes for the land - and these are very expensive areas. Why not create a parking area there? I think the reason you can see in the picture. If it is used as parking area or empty it has the same taxation. Better put there some banana trees and then it is agricultural... 

https://thailand.acclime.com/guides/land-buildings-tax/

SmartSelect_20230216-004711_Chrome Beta.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

On many empty places are banana trees. The reason is if the land is not used they have to pay higher taxes for the land - and these are very expensive areas. Why not create a parking area there? I think the reason you can see in the picture. If it is used as parking area or empty it has the same taxation. Better put there some banana trees and then it is agricultural... 

That's why I said may be ROI does not make economic sense. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

People will be parking at the mall.

There is no other significant parking close to the beach.  Should be interesting how long it lasts.

Often found their late opening times at Central Festival Beach Rd to be an issue. 

I expect it to last because that is how it was for many years pre-Covid. Pattaya is going to be mired down in traffic issues as tourism increases.....only effort I can think of has been to dig up the roads post Covid and open a car park at T21.  

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Keep Right said:

First they cut down many trees along Beach Road to make the parking area larger

No, to widen the road.

and then they ban parking along Beach Road.

No, it was banned previously as well, for good reason.

Maybe they are banning parking to make room for the many buses full of Chinese that are soon to invade Pattaya.

The article says what the main reason is. It's also the real reason, as anyone who lives in Pattaya and attempts to travel down Beach Rd. nowadays, esp. in the evenings or weekends, can verify. The reinstatement of the ban has been overdue for a couple of months.

I think the Thais are born without a brain.

Projection. It's always amusing how Thai bashes invariably just refer to the poster himself.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, champers said:

Not too many Thais visited Pattaya beach pre-Covid; it was swamped with Chinese tour groups.

Quite a lot, actually, but TAT: ANF has always refused to recognize them. After COVID, TAT attempted to attract more Thais. Worked. 

The mayor must have information that they are coming back in big numbers.

It would appear likely, no? But even without their coming back in big numbers, the volume of traffic on Beach Rd. dictates reinstatement of the beachside parking ban.

He won't care if Thais stop coming.

Of course he'll care. Events and promotions targeted at Thais will continue and Thais will continue coming. Unfortunately, the lack of parking on Beach Rd. may now be somewhat limiting.

They have to ban parking on the beach side because if they don't when the buses full of zero dollar Chinese tourists come--which they inevitably will, they'll be taking up the lane on the left side, leaving only a single lane for thru traffic. The more things change the more they remain the same.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

They have to ban parking on the beach side because if they don't when the buses full of zero dollar Chinese tourists come--which they inevitably will, they'll be taking up the lane on the left side, leaving only a single lane for thru traffic. The more things change the more they remain the same.

Parking or not. I see a different problem. There was not so long ago a discussion to widen the Beach Road AGAIN. They did this already years ago when they removed the much nicer old beach promenade.

At the moment when you want to cross the road from the beach side you have to come to the street from behind cars parked there. It is dangerous. Using the pedestrian crossing with traffic lights? I tried this recently at Soi Post Office. It does not work. It seems to be switched off.

What I find sad is that the Beach Road gets transformed into a beach highway. Most of the traffic there has nothing to do with the Beach Road. They also could use the Third Road.

On 2/16/2023 at 12:41 AM, Xanthe said:

There are many empty spaces all over. Why not somebody (Or the city) convert them to parking and start charging a parking fee like 200 baht for all day and 20 baht by the hour. May be ROI does not make economic sense? I parked in Central or on the other mall a few times when I could not find road side parking. 

Don't you know that Thais won't walk more than 10 yards. If they can't park next to the beach they won't come.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1