Thai woman faces federal charges for fleeing the United States after Michigan hit and run death

webfact

2 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Sadly the Thai woman made a big mistake in fleeing the country? If she had called 911 and helped the poor guy, even if he had died, would have looked favorably in the eyes of the Judge/court?

Now when she gets back to the USA, she is potentially looking at serious jail time?

Lack of education of other cultures... look at some cultures (most know which) if you stop and assist you are interfering with the divine plan and  will, thus its now your responsibility (or you become a part of it ... )I have seen babies squashed and nobody assist... The worlkd is not all like you think..   Thinks cops are all the same, cant blame her for that..  

Edited by Seeall
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Lack of education of other cultures... look at some cultures (most know which) if you stop and assist you are interfering with the divine plan and  will, thus its now your responsibility (or you become a part of it ... )

Thai's appear to me to be living life in a little bubble which contains themselves and their most immediate family and friends. Outside the bubble it's like survival in the jungle where you can never really trust another person and therefore have little empathy for them.

You can see this on display anytime you come to an intersection without a traffic light and how they push and shove their way through while sizing up the other vehicles by physical size and intents. In a civil society you have respect for each other and follow agreed up rules but Thailand is not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tandor said:

Regardless of what the father says or wants, the FBI want her, end of story

FBI?  

I think your understanding of US laws comes from the movies.

Investigation and retrieval of international fugitives falls within the jurisdiction of the Federal Marshal Service.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

If you read the full article link, you'll see she has been arrested in Thailand, and will be extradited to the US to face charges. The victim's father (who's a doctor) has stated that while it WAS an accident, if she had stopped and tried to help and/or take him to a hospital, he might still alive.
Things are not going to go well for her.

I don't think that is anything like admissible evidence unless given by an expert witness under oath. I'd declare a mistrial, and move it as far from Oakland county or wherever it happened, as possible. There'll be a lynch mob out for her. Asian? Maybe she saw that coming.

And they need to locate the Uber driver. What's his story? Hey, there's a whole new line of conjecture, guys. Maybe he pulled a gun? Maybe he was off his trolley. Maybe the Thai woman ..... Etc etc.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Thai woman and an American Citizen.  Thailand and the US have an extradition treaty so she really did not have a choice.  She fled after hitting the victim with her vehicle.  The case against is weaker now because any possible charge of DUI is not possible.  She will be tried for Vehicular Manslaughter and Felony Hit and Run by the Oakland County District Attorneys office.  Doubt she has a criminal record so at best 3 to 5 years in prison.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gunner1 said:

unfortunately it is the Thai tradition to pull a runner when involved in any type of road accident! has been this way for fifty years that i have been in and around Thailand. during the Vietnam war, when a thai taxi was involved in an accident and had an American Passenger, the driver did a runner and the passenger became responsible for the victims hospital and "compensation" money!

To paraphrase you can take the Thai out if the country but you can not take the Thai culture out of the Thai.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swm59nj said:

She claimed after the incident happened.  She was in shock.  The shock wasn’t severe enough I guess to keep a straight mind to make plans to flee to Thailand 

I bet she was in shock when she was arrested and told she would be extradited back to the US to face charges.

Now she faces imprisonment and the possibility of losing the right to live in the US.

• Like 1

Unlike in Thailand, in the US fleeing from the scene of a crime, much less one that causes death, is taken very seriously. Perhaps she will learn something from this. Perhaps years in prison will help her develop some maturity and substance as a human being. Perhaps it will help her to be less obsessed with herself and allow her to evolve into a person of care and compassion. Maybe. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Sadly the Thai woman made a big mistake in fleeing the country? If she had called 911 and helped the poor guy, even if he had died, would have looked favorably in the eyes of the Judge/court?

Now when she gets back to the USA, she is potentially looking at serious jail time?

Actually, her prison time will be both State and Federal. State time for Hit and Run w/ death and Federal, fleeing the country..

• Like 2