AoT Launches Measures to Manage Traveler Surge

snoop1130

11 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Don't hold your breath.

What they might propose and how they act/practice are two different things. 

The unreasonable and confounding Thai bureaucratic mindset usually misses the boat.

If you've got the $'s you could upgrade their flights to business this way they get to use the priority lane for I.O. and baggage emerges first.

Maybe you might be able to upgrade for part of the leg from the US (I'm not personally familiar with these routes) ... this way you'll not expend as much as if you upgrade for the entire route?

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Let's hope it speeds things up as well as hoping all immigration booths are up and running at peak times.  My daughters will be flying in to visit soon and the last thing they want after a two day flight from the US is to stand in line for umpteen hours like the last time they came.

buy a fast track no need to stand hours

11 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Don't hold your breath.

What they might propose and how they act/practice are two different things. 

The unreasonable and confounding Thai bureaucratic mindset usually misses the boat.

They will be quick to coin in the 300 thb

• Like 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The international airport also plans to convert the space between the passenger terminal and Concourse D into a receiving hall for arriving passengers and those with visas on arrival (VOAs).

Since Concourse D is part of the terminal, I'm somewhat confused as to what this actually means... 

44 minutes ago, TooMuchTime said:

They just need to add dedicated immigration lines at Arrival/Departure for Americans.

Not sure why we have to wait with those other foreign people.

They should certainly have a dedicated area, even terminal, for the millions of Chinese they are expecting and who already clog up the place.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They have decided to build a large revolving platform at arrivals. As you go around on this platform there are large bins for you to deposit your wallets, then at the end you are filtered off to departures. That way they get your money without the added problem of actually having to deal with tourists.

• Haha 1

Believable first-hand reports are all over the map. Some report 4 minutes (wait at arriving Imm), for an 08:00 arrival on EK, to 2+ hours for an arrival on Qatar in the early afternoon. Some report getting through Imm in 15 min. but then waiting 45 min. for a checked bag. And still others report 1 hour wait in the official taxi queue.

Yes, we all know about workarounds: FastTrack, fly in J, don't have checked bags, have a Thai wife, use Grab.

Some photos posted yesterday, assuming they are accurately representative, showed massive queues, stretching back into the concourse, making it challenging to get to FastTrack, or the Thai desks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Since Concourse D is part of the terminal, I'm somewhat confused as to what this actually means... 

On the basis they are talking arrivals then they should have said "passenger arrival terminal" .

Concourse D is the main drag in the "departure terminal" with the "arrival terminal" on a lower level. I don't think it is directly below departures and they may be referring to space adjacent to arrivals underneath Concourse D.

Reports in the past few weeks for those leaving Thailand seem much more consistent, with waits at check-in of up to 45 minutes, and at security up to 45 minute range, and at departing Immigration of up to 90 minutes. More than a few reports of people missing flights.

I guess I might arrive at Suvarnabhumi, for an int'l departure, maybe three or four hours early, just to be safe.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

You should get Global entry.  Usually zero to 5 min and you're in. Have not had my bags checked  anymore as well. 

Yes, Global Entry is great (plus the card is RealID compliant), but new applications might take 6 - 18 months for the interview. My on-line renewal was processed in ~ two days.

Some report that the free Mobile Passport Control app can be useful, in some airports anyway. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

Yes, Global Entry is great (plus the card is RealID compliant), but new applications might take 6 - 18 months for the interview. My on-line renewal was processed in ~ two days.

Some report that the free Mobile Passport Control app can be useful, in some airports anyway. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

Yes I'm on my second one but it lasts 5 years which is great. Are you talking about the card for travel to Canada and Mexico?