The Risks of being a working expat !

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

then I would ask myself: Is that the kind of guy I would employ in my company?

I would just end the interview in a minute or two. 

...That's just the tip of the iceberg, the rest you'd find out later.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wordchild said:

that is exactly how i work, and have done for many years.

Computer works well for certain tasks, but , personally, i find a notebook, (to do lists; project/personnel  updates etc) works for me.

Usually my first job in the morning- review the previous few days of notes and carry on  from there. i find it a useful check/reminder and helps my self discipline. 

I have one sitting beside the screen as i type this right now, and its even got a Pen (yes one of those!) sitting on top of it, poised and ready to write something. 

We all have our own ways of working , i guess.

Out of interest, why?

I grew up with paper and pencil and sometimes I use them. It depends on the conditions. But mostly I use an electronic device. Preferably my desktop PC with big keyboard and big monitor, but sometimes my mobile phone.

I.e. recently I made notes in my apartment which is under construction. Some measurements, some little drawings, some small remarks, I used a small paper block and a pen because it's just easier to walk around with such thing and add a drawing, etc. 

And if the author of the video above made these notes maybe sitting on the beach, I understand why he didn't do it on a computer.

Most of the time I use a PC because that makes it easy to edit text. Move a paragraph to another position to order my thoughts, maybe add or delete or change some words, etc.

With an electronic device it is easy to just write random thoughts down and then formulate them and order them or delete them again.

Personally, I would never use paper and pencil on a desk with a computer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

notebooks on the table.

One electronic with a big apple logo on it. 

And one old fashioned with paper and handwriting on that paper.

I work this way.

Notebook, tablet, phone + A4 notepad and often smaller scratch paper.

I keep to-do lists on my phone, notebook and paper

Paper is very efficient in diagramming, sketching, thinking. Also, something in the notebook you'll be turning it off on repeatedly. Waste of time

Edited by SuperSilverHaze
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Suspicious of old school. 

Good healthcare required to cover the paper cuts and don't run you could poke your eye out.

Which one is more eco-friendly, notebook uses electric powered by fossil fuel, or should we cut more trees down to make paper...

...I'm so confused.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Out of interest, why?

I grew up with paper and pencil and sometimes I use them. It depends on the conditions. But mostly I use an electronic device. Preferably my desktop PC with big keyboard and big monitor, but sometimes my mobile phone.

I.e. recently I made notes in my apartment which is under construction. Some measurements, some little drawings, some small remarks, I used a small paper block and a pen because it's just easier to walk around with such thing and add a drawing, etc. 

And if the author of the video above made these notes maybe sitting on the beach, I understand why he didn't do it on a computer.

Most of the time I use a PC because that makes it easy to edit text. Move a paragraph to another position to order my thoughts, maybe add or delete or change some words, etc.

With an electronic device it is easy to just write random thoughts down and then formulate them and order them or delete them again.

Personally, I would never use paper and pencil on a desk with a computer.

With touch technique I never use paper and pen anymore. Anyway, this is about Expats working abroad, and the risks involved. 

The only risk is not to have enough reserves and a good plan B. I would also worry more about the  future bring a western living In Asia compare to Norway. Working inside Europe gives you automatic some kind of social welfare and security. 

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

... and lots of ugly fat women with an attitude.

Thailand is definitely a lot better in that way. And that makes life in general a lot better.

21395556973_fa484d0d49_b.jpg

A bit shallow isn't? Cant say what is better or who is better. Different qualities and a total different culture. 

I have a gf or wife where I live, not regarded to ethnicity or shape, even I have to admit, to short and skinny turns me off  as much as to fat, especially lazy fat! 

Anyway, this is about expat working and the risk involved, not women? 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Two notebooks on the table.

One electronic with a big apple logo on it. 

And one old fashioned with paper and handwriting on that paper.

Exactly how I work, plus a digital camera

I am an inspector for oil companies. The daily and final reports are done on the computer.

Not allowed to take laptops into the worksite (hazardous areas)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

A bit shallow isn't? Cant say what is better or who is better. Different qualities and a total different culture. 

I have a gf or wife where I live, not regarded to ethnicity or shape, even I have to admit, to short and skinny turns me off  as much as to fat, especially lazy fat! 

Anyway, this is about expat working and the risk involved, not women? 

About 30 years ago I thought about where I want to live. My home country in Europe was IMHO too cold, too boring, and not enjoyable in many other ways.

With my computer knowledge I could and can work basically anywhere in this world. So I thought about what I like. I like sunny weather, friendly people, pretty girls, and having fun. Thailand meets those criteria. I visited it and I liked it. And to be sure I checked the economic facts, which were at that time real good.

So I moved to Thailand. The pretty girls are not the only reason to stay here. But I have to admit seeing all the time anywhere on the streets or in shops pretty girls makes life a lot better. 

I didn't go back to Europe much but recently I was there. I could confirm to myself: Good that I left that place decades ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

With touch technique I never use paper and pen anymore. Anyway, this is about Expats working abroad, and the risks involved. 

The only risk is not to have enough reserves and a good plan B. I would also worry more about the  future bring a western living In Asia compare to Norway. Working inside Europe gives you automatic some kind of social welfare and security. 

Most offices still have white boards. Even software devs use them. I'm one of them.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Out of interest, why?

The reason I still use pen and paper is simple. I find it is much faster to take notes, my notes are far more detailed and convey more information than I could easily produce on a computer. And I also notice that I remember the things I write on paper much better and much longer than information I put into my computer. That said, many of my written notes do eventually end up in the computer, if they are important enough and lend themselves to that. Interestingly, I still run circles around the kids mocking my old school approach to work.

Edited by timendres
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

About 30 years ago I thought about where I want to live. My home country in Europe was IMHO too cold, too boring, and not enjoyable in many other ways.

With my computer knowledge I could and can work basically anywhere in this world. So I thought about what I like. I like sunny weather, friendly people, pretty girls, and having fun. Thailand meets those criteria. I visited it and I liked it. And to be sure I checked the economic facts, which were at that time real good.

So I moved to Thailand. The pretty girls are not the only reason to stay here. But I have to admit seeing all the time anywhere on the streets or in shops pretty girls makes life a lot better. 

I didn't go back to Europe much but recently I was there. I could confirm to myself: Good that I left that place decades ago.

???? Accepted and aknownledged as understood. Health was my primary reason, everything else is a bonus ????

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Most offices still have white boards. Even software devs use them. I'm one of them.

Im working in the field, where we before had analog equipment, now all digital, and reports written on computer, based on the log. Of course when have safety or pre job meetings we use both white boards, head over or templates for presentation. And if out in the field in risk harassment areas, we use pen and notebooks if necessary. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Boyn said:

And the point of this topic is?????

I think his point is that many people don't have a Plan B when it comes to their work.

And he has hit on a few saliant points; how transferable are your skills if you find yourself unemployed in LOS, can you afford to stay here especially if you are originally here on a large ex-pat relocation salary (with all it's perks) and if you really, really have to, will you be able to re-aclimatise back to your home country. 

I have a very good friend who has recently gone through exactly this when he took voluntary redundancy from his rather well paid Thai job. I warned him not to do it (as I could see the difficulty he would have getting an equally well paid job) but he didn't listen and thought he would have employers beating down his door. They didn't and after 8 months and a heavily depleted savings account, he headed back home to the cold and the gloom. He absolutely hates being back home and really wants to get back here but it's not going to happen any time soon.  He had no PLan B in place and was wildly over-optimistic about his career prospects, which I think is what the video is about.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

You are not an "expat" you are an immigrant

An immigrant is happy to be accepted somewhere, an expat can afford to live anywhere (OK maybe not anywhere exactly, but you get the general idea).

Edited by Stocky