German Man Allegedly Fined 2,000 Baht Without Receipt After Riding in Phuket Underpass on Motorbike

webfact

17 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Off topic, but is it permitted to ride a bike through the Pattaya Klang underpass anyone know? I always do it but never see any other bikes. I've looked for signs but never seen one.

There was no bike/scoot signage when first opened but I think that has been removed.

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Motorbikes on expressways? You've seen the way people ride motorbikes here. Can you imagine if they were let loose on the expressways?

They are allowed in Malaysia and it works great. They are even toll free with a bike lane that bypasses the booths. I saved quite a bit on money riding a bike to work there.

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

As usual, no clear signs  anywhere in Thailand... and if there are signs everybody ignore them.. except if a foreigner does the same there is a fine...... and of course the RTP takes advantage of it.. Maybe if there were more lawsuits in court  things could change, but again we have read many times... verdicts are almost never in favor of the non Thais  

It's known by locals and expats in Phuket that bikes are banned in tunnels. There has been much discussion on this forum over the years. There are signs, but probably difficult for tourists to spot.

Thais generally don't risk the fine to save a couple of minutes, the bikes I've seen roaring through tunnels are mostly foreigners. 

underpass.JPG.faf42c7fbd49f05cb5d42f80a5049734.JPG

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

the lesson is to  abide by the road rules... thus avoiding on the sot donations.

Not easy to follow  these rules as  the signage is in Thai language only ,  especially in a place that   is a number  1 tourist resort in Thailand

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, warrima said:

They are allowed in Malaysia and it works great. They are even toll free with a bike lane that bypasses the booths. I saved quite a bit on money riding a bike to work there.

I have no experience of riding in Malaysia so I can't comment. I can only imagine total carnage here.

For the record, it would be very useful for me on a personal level if bikes could use the expressway. I just don't see it being practical.

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

Off topic, but is it permitted to ride a bike through the Pattaya Klang underpass anyone know? I always do it but never see any other bikes. I've looked for signs but never seen one.

You should have gone to Specsavers! 

There are clear signs on both approaches to the tunnel, AND an LED display that frequently displays the restriction. Along with no inflammables or explosives.

1 hour ago, warrima said:

Yea but we are talking about M/C riders here in Thailand, A very large amount with no license, and the worst in the World.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

It's known by locals and expats in Phuket that bikes are banned in tunnels. There has been much discussion on this forum over the years. There are signs, but probably difficult for tourists to spot.

Thais generally don't risk the fine to save a couple of minutes, the bikes I've seen roaring through tunnels are mostly foreigners. 

underpass.JPG.faf42c7fbd49f05cb5d42f80a5049734.JPG

There are big electronic signs about 100 meters before this tunnel.

1 hour ago, actonion said:

Not easy to follow  these rules as  the signage is in Thai language only ,  especially in a place that   is a number  1 tourist resort in Thailand

Nonsense. Big signs here, clearly indicating in sign language no motorbikes allowed in the tunnel.

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

Motorbikes on expressways? You've seen the way people ride motorbikes here. Can you imagine if they were let loose on the expressways?

The only way to make it work would be a completely walled-off section dedicated to motorbikes. Even then I'm sure there'd be some "create" motorcycle riders managing to cause havoc somehow or another.

Yes, some on many 'western' motorways, unless a certain size scooter, CCs, they are not allowed.  

No news here ... just another farang complaining about being caught violating the laws. 

Edited by KhunLA

27 minutes ago, stevenl said:

There are big electronic signs about 100 meters before this tunnel.

I lifted the pic from GE. I looked for the big signs to which you refer but couldn't quickly find them. 

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

No news here ... just another farang complaining about being caught violating the laws. 

I'm not sure what the posted fine is, but he was probably ripped off with the amount he paid. 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

So is 5k the correct fine or not ? If yes then what's this German complaining about? make him pay another 3K.

In the linked article he was complaining that there were no signs in German. It appears that no-one asked him if there were any signs in Thai on German roads.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

How does that answer my question ???

You asked what he was complaining about. He complained that there were no signs in German (or any other international language). I have no idea what the correct fine is so didn't answer that part, but I don't think he was questioning the amount of the fine, only that, as the article so diplomatically put it, 'officers may have broken policy by not writing a proper ticket'.

Does that answer your question?

2 hours ago, Grusa said:

You should have gone to Specsavers! 

There are clear signs on both approaches to the tunnel, AND an LED display that frequently displays the restriction. Along with no inflammables or explosives.

I once recall seeing an led panel illuminated but only once, travelling south. I've not seen any other signs.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I lifted the pic from GE. I looked for the big signs to which you refer but couldn't quickly find them. 

I'm not sure what the posted fine is, but he was probably ripped off with the amount he paid. 

So he says ... and with some of the new fines prices I've seen, 2000 is definitely a possibility, as is 5000 baht.

Hope he learned his lesson ... follow the law, as there are consequences.

...it's not rocket science.

Anyone planning on cruising my area/PKK, as I was O&A the other day, and noticed a few new speed cameras on Phetkasem rd/Hwy #4.

Might want to use that cruise control set @ 90kph as I do now.

image.png.475fdf16c6ec3dec721430640a0ce1d6.png

Edited by KhunLA