snoop1130

9 hours ago, Adumbration said:

10 great reasons why not to retire in Phuket:

1.  Road deaths

2. No public transport

3. Dishonest and violent taxis drivers

4. North Africans riding 300cc scooters in gangs

5. Russians so drunk they attempt to drive a car along Rawai pier

6. No proper lifeguards because the experienced (and often trained in Australia) ones were all fired due to corruption and theft of the allocated budget

7. All coral gardens of the island are now dead and dying due to siltation from over development. Nai Thon is just one relevant example

8. Fecal coliforms counts far above any acceptable levels at Patong and many other west coast beaches

9. The seafood Restaurants (especially the ones displaying the seafood out the front of their premise) have little, if any actual local seafood.  The prawns are farmed, the crayfish are farmed, and the bulk of the fish are farmed.  If you are considering eating oysters or other shellfish please refer to point 8 above.

10. Blood bank is bone dry in Phuket due to the amount of road accidents every day and the fact none of the farangs ever donate.  If you have an emergency that requires blood you are done for.

I wish I could provide more than 10 reasons....I am just getting warmed up.

# 5 hilarious ... mad n dangerous yes but hilarious ????????????????

11 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

You have to fly to get anywhere from there, you are effectively restricted to a very small area of the country.  

What do you mean by restricted? Krabi, Trang, Surat Thani and Phang Nga, just to name a few places (with hundreds of beaches),  are nearby. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

My only memory of Phuket was how unhelpful the southern Thais were and their lack of willingness to interact with foreigners unless money was involved. Foreigners treated as cash cows.

Think you are being a bit harsh grouping all southern Thais with those on Phuket. If you go to Songkhla, Trang and Nakhon Si Thammarat you will encounter many genuine friendly and generous Thais. 

I detest Phuket, having been at least 6 times since 1998 it is mostly a tourist rip off. Not just to Patong but Kamala and other areas. I'll never go back except to exit the airport, hire a car and head north across the bridge to Phang Na and Surat Thani. 

• Like 2

Thailand! Great main issue I will not live there again ! Is visas b_ go live Philippines same price no problems stay on or renew internally your tourist visa upto 3 years before leaving for a day or 2 rtn restart your 3 year tourist visa 1st month free 2nd month pay = $60 US your nearest local immigration office 99% speak English as 2nd language after 2 month move onto 6 monthly + upto you 1 year if you want extend visa inclusive of ID card pic chip passport number address where you reside , don't need carry passport for ID banks or money pawn shops ID tourist card is called ???? ID card strange that's what call expats ????instead foreigner on ID Card ! Thailand not been back coz all b_ with visas  Philippines no need put any money upfront as you do in Thailand 800k or 400k married into Thai bank rather leave my money  in Aussie  bank than Thai,  do have thai bank account  top evey now then keep open case go quick holiday no need prove amount of pension/ social security payments you are on ! Not every country pension is equivalent in US l believe  limit is US $1500 Dollars Per month long term for 1 year Aussie pension well below American pension limit  no issue unlike strict military / communist Thailand authoritarian country ! A Government treats you with disdain, Only wants your money ???? not you unless you connected to CCP ???????? Criminal Organisation.  I go where l'm welcomed ! rent no issues no stupid house registration ongoing reporting other than renewal of visa Simple fast easy ..  l get those with Thai Glf or wives ! Still one mighty hassle to stay in thailand " rules change like the wind Thailand umm. ! If u Marry local Filipina lass it's all over you can come and go as you please no need worry about renewal tourist visa move  onto a marriage visa status changes to Philippine residency via marriage mo need money up front live life normally.  My opinion 

Edited by Mad mick
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

TLDNR.

Anyhow.....each to their own and yes, the quieter places likely would be better.

I visited Phuket once (2008) and did the touristy evening things with a bunch of mates. Once was enuff. Most locals were unfriendly, only wanting money without a smile.

Happily ex-pat ensconced in East Pattaya for 10 years now.????????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

What do you mean by restricted? Krabi, Trang, Surat Thani and Phang Nga, just to name a few places (with hundreds of beaches),  are nearby. 

All much the same, how about mountains, white water rafting, the cultural centers of the country such as Sukhothai and Chang Mai, how about going to Laos on a day trip, Nong Kai on the banks of the Mekong, all the festivals and meets in Central Thailand.  Its not all about beaches, although we have stunning ones here, East of Rayong and on Koh Samet and Koh Chang.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Quite surprised risk of rabies from a soi dog bite did not make it into the list

Don't get all hot n bothered by that.

If ya' get bit ya' go have a first shot then a series of easy painless shots over about 14 days (I think it is?) ... and its all good. No need to worry as the shots guarantee no infection. I was bitten once a few years back, had the shots, had zero problems.

1 hour ago, SoilSpoil said:

Care to explain how you travel through the province, Phuket being an island?

It's not really an island. I always get a chuckle... island...

Koh Tao, Koh Rok... those are islands.

But to answer... buses transit into Phuket and then on to north or south as case may be. Sometimes need to break the journey.

1 minute ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

It's not really an island. I always get a chuckle... island...

Koh Tao, Koh Rok... those are islands.

But to answer... buses transit into Phuket and then on to north or south as case may be. Sometimes need to break the journey.

Of course, it's an Island!

Having a connecting bridge doesn't change that fact!

There are hundreds of islands around the planet that have tunnels or bridges to another land mass.

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

The usual herd of Phuket haters have leapt onto this thread.

Most have only ever spent a short holiday in the town of Patong and found prices above their budgets.

Yes, taxis, etc. are a rip-off and more expensive than anywhere else in Thailand. It is a shameful national government failure that mafia organizations are allowed to ply their crooked trade there with impunity and can even dictate their own excessive price structures.

Why surprised that the tourist towns are expensive? As one of the world's most visited tourist destinations it naturally has higher prices and more rip-off merchants than Nakon Nowhere in Issan. Try to find something cheap in London or Paris.

However, this thread is about expat living and general COL expenses.  Try reading the OP again! Expats rarely use the mafia products and generally do not reside, shop nor eat in the tourist centers.

For the astute, Phuket has all the advantages of its world class scenery, beaches, Islands, etc. without becoming a patsy for the thieves. 

No, they just get banged up in road accident left for dead, hassled by cops, ripped off in Patong like any noob bc despite living there ten years they still don't know or care about you. Hospitals criminally expensive, tourist infrastructure not expat infrastructure, hordes of tourists, immigration hassles, airport taxi hassles..