Thai Public Health Minister Says It is ‘Impossible’ to Legalize E-Cigarettes

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, 2baht said:

He's not the only man in the boat! Underlings are greedy too!

Show me receipts and I'll change my opinion.

Exporting cannabis (THC) is pretty much a no-go.

The domestic THC market is relatively small.

Yes, I've seen photos of MASSIVE farms here, just not sure on who/what the market is?

Hemp, for industrial purposes, seems to be the largest segment, followed by CBD (medical, wellness). The THC market gets all the glamour and press, but is small.

Yes, there are a few large-ish "cannabis" companies.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

So you cannot smoke E cigarettes, because there is a small chance they may be harmful, but you can smoke real cigarette that are proven to cause lung cancer amongst other things and do kill people?

What planet is this guy on?

Minister of Wealth from the planet Greed - lots of money to be made from the newly instated weed industry (largely legalised by his efforts as he has a lot of money tied up in it), lots of money being made by the tobacco industry, some of which is no doubt being channelled in his  direction to keep him and the Government "sweet" (Their profits would be severely impacted if all the smokers that wanted to stop started "vaping" instead (which apparently is much less harmful than tobacco, and as far as I know, less addictive.

So, as Minister of Wealth, does he really have the interests of the people at heart when he says legalising E-cigarettes is "impossible"? 

• Thanks 1

Allegedly, lobbyists from the tobacco monopoly have requested a delay in the legalization of e-cigarettes until they are ready to produce them themselves. This way, they can target a whole new market of young customers and establish another monopoly by heavily taxing imports. Additionally, those who quit smoking cigarettes may continue to be e-cigarette customers.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

Must have seen 10 people vaping yesterday without a care in the world. What happens next is the question.

Because, as per the earlier link, vaping is legal as is the sale of the devices in LOS; what is illegal is the importation of the liquid and the devices. Anutin is talking drivel for a change. 

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Yet normal cigarettes and marijuana are fine?

Seems to me he's a health minister with a mis-guided sense of health.

Yes he should stick to engineering, just as his unelected PM pal should stick to his barracks and parade grounds and forget about trying to run the country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

Must have seen 10 people vaping yesterday without a care in the world. What happens next is the question.

For Thai, consequences are laughable if police catch.

Police catch a Thai,, Thai refuse to pay "fine" get taken to court and fined 500 baht.

It is only foreigners who end up paying extortionate  prices

What is interesting though, is NOW he wants to introduce new law regarding vaping.

Current one says no sales, no imports so what exactly does he want to bring in new?

Why is it impossible to change the law Nutty ? this govt. changes laws often as with the weed bill. The Problem is those that sell to underage kids, like the liquor laws, we suffer bcoz of 'kids' being sold items, well that's not our fault is it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, redwood1 said:

No way in 1 million years can it be rationalize that tobacco and weed are just fine but vapping is bad bad bad..............It just cant be done...

Doesn’t seem to be a problem in Thailand ????

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, n00dle said:

nailed what? a completely innapropriate comparison?

people smoke weed to get high. people vape to fulfill other cravings. There is no crossover. 

you missed the point, it's all about money, something that a health minister should not be considering - waken up

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, smedly said:

you missed the point, it's all about money, something that a health minister should not be considering - waken up

that a pretty big leap from the statement i responded to, but oki doks, I missed the point. 

19 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

In the UK you see kids walking around "vaping" these Chinese-made. colourful devices designed to look like packets of sweets or make-up. The surprising thing is not that Thailand doesn't allow them but that other countries are allowing a new generation of kids to become hooked on them for the profit of Chinese companies.

firstly..most of your appliances are made in china..even if its under license of a western CO. juice market is world wide.. with china operating only a fraction?! so maybe only china bashing here?

WHO does say they are harmful, and there is growing concern from prestigious institutes like John Hopkins. Thailand basically does what WHO recommends, which is to ban ecigarettes. Common sense thought is that used years on end some health problem is likely to occur- it's just not natural.

If they'd just been used as a cessation device for confirmed smokers they'd definitely be a good idea, because they are now proven safe over the short to mid term. 

But it's just not going to happen in Thailand. The biggest problem is that they are marketed to young people in all sorts of flavours, and some of the gear out there is unregulated.  Even in the UK, there are growing concerns whether e cigs are so safe after all.

23 hours ago, 2baht said:

They don't want vape smokers when they have vested interests in weed!

That's  somewhat illogical ,  smoking weed and smoking tobacco are not mutually exclusive .  I can't come up with a reason for banning them , Its obviously not out of any genuine concern for public health , There is obviously money to be made here so why hasn't this  been exploited ?   Usually these golden  "opportunities" are gifted to certain elite influential families   King Power being  one  example ,      Why hasn't this been claimed by the next in line ? 

May be they are still arguing about who's turn it is .    

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

I have said before my girl friends mates all vape. None being smokers before. Im in London most of the year working and am used to seeing Vapes  being sold everywhere  from your local newsagents to Sainsburys supermarket.   But every time I'm back in Bangkok to see the girlfriend  I see more people vaping. There must be a way the government can legalise it I'm no economics expert but all banning it will do is push on line sales

Edited by DaveE13
Spelling

Folks vaping is here to stay....

Legal.....illegal......Quasi-illegal.......  What ever vaping is not going anywhere....

But if it was legal vapers would not have to depend on questionable  juice and vape gear and it would make vaping move healthy...

Edited by redwood1

1 minute ago, Kalasin Jo said:

And of course tobacco.

Of course  you are correct. The Tobacco industry are very powerful players. And as another person has said earlier they will eventually manufacture vapes and E Cigarettes and then we will see a push to legalise sales. I done some contract security work in the early 2000s for British American Tobbaco and seen the way the Tobacco industry works

• Like 1