Potential wheelchair user

poppysdad

I’m not sure how I should feel, but health wise my ability to walk far is disappearing not due to legs but breathing. I’m beginning to feel that leaving the house is soon possibly being a no go but my beloved Thai wife is now insisting we get a wheelchair and she’ll happily push me wherever we want to go.

My reaction to this probably quite wrongly is a feeling of embarrassment even humiliation from being someone not so long ago could climb a mountain if needed to to now having to be pushed around to go anywhere at all. 
So, how have others felt and coped when it has happened to them, just being grateful that you have someone willing to help or do you just hope that no one you know ever see’s you. 

At 26 I had an accident that put me using a chair every day since to get around. Before that I cycled, ran , walked up mountains or snowboarded just about every day. Now at 50 and having lived here for 15 years it is what it is and nothing will change that I need a chair.

If you have someone to look after / help you , your mind still works fine and your eyes can still see the world around you then you are very lucky indeed. 
While kerbs here are less than ideal for wheelchair users there are places it is no problem, unfortunately you find these by trial and error . Toilet hunting can be a problem unless you can use a normal toilet by getting up and walking a few steps to use it , malls usually always have accessible toilets though just incase.

There is no stigma to using a chair and even here people don’t stare at you if you use one . Any thoughts are usually in the users mind and soon disappear after few trips out in a chair .

Unfortunately like most things in the world human bodies wear over time  and it happens to us all . Just be glad for all the times you could walk around before , up mountains etc as some never get to experience that simple function that most take for granted .

Looking for a chair you want as light as possible and that folds as small as possible. Some larger pharmacies sell them and on lazada you will find a few decent ones. 
Good luck and don’t forget to get a decent cushion for the chair also . ????????

• Like 2

Had the same reservations myself when  my Thai wife wanted to  get me one as I can't  walk any distance due to swollen legs. She got it from Fascino and I used it once for about 100m and it broke. It's taken a mth for Fascino to return to manufacturer and I still haven't  got it back. I would have chosen an electric version but it's probably too heavy for her to get in and out of our vehicle. Thai women are not  embarrassed about  pushing  a wheelchair. I think they weren't  allowed toy pushchairs  as children. 

4 hours ago, streetlite said:

My friend told about his friend who just purchased an electric wheenchair. He said it was solid and very well constructed albeit a bit expensive (52,000).

Indeed expensive but there are much cheaper electric chairs on Lazada and Shopee.  We bought one for under 14k (now about 16K) and seems to be fine (although wife has had good success with a new drug that allows normal short walking without pain so mostly not used).  Remember when compairing if being used both in and outside narrow size will be wanted.

ของแท้ รับประกัน 2 ปี️รถวีลแชร์ไฟฟ้า 3 ระบบ FOREVER รุ่น Elite Silver รถเข็นไฟฟ้า เบรกไฟฟ้า รถหยุดไม่ไหล วีลแชร์คนแก่ | Shopee Thailand

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Had the same reservations myself when  my Thai wife wanted to  get me one as I can't  walk any distance due to swollen legs. She got it from Fascino and I used it once for about 100m and it broke. It's taken a mth for Fascino to return to manufacturer and I still haven't  got it back. I would have chosen an electric version but it's probably too heavy for her to get in and out of our vehicle. Thai women are not  embarrassed about  pushing  a wheelchair. I think they weren't  allowed toy pushchairs  as children. 

Further update on Fascino wch. Went to collect 'repaired'chair today. It's worse than before with a distinct knock on the l/h wheel whereas before it was a slight rubbing sound. It's rated for 100kg but even when the assistant at Fascino who must be closer to 50kg there was still a distinct knock. Sent a Video to the supplier and asked them to change the l/h wheel. They had the cheek to ask us to send it to them but we left it with Fascino to sort that out. Guess we will have to wait another month to see what happens. Thai propensity to ask for payment up front and not accept responsibility for goods supplied causes this problem.

100kg chair is same as 80kg chair but wider not stronger. Asked Fascino to change the whole chair but they said they only act as go between.

Just to add, before we retired in 2019 I did the research in States and found a company in Austin TX that is owned by and invalid and everyone who works there has some mobility issue. The chair is called a Fold an Go. Its got 2 Lithium batteries and is FAA approved to fly. Total weight is 66 pounds, remove batteries and it is just under 20Kg, as a US Vet I got 10% discount and it cost 2500 USD. It has large drive wheels and is mud puddle proof. Drives via joy stock and has a horn. Wife only has use of left side. This thing will go 6.5 kilometers per hr and has a 32 kilometer range on full charge. She used it in California at some parks but almost ran some folks over. Frame is stainless powder coated...She hasn't used it here, I have put dog in my lap and done a few spins around the Moo Baan but her affliction is permanent and the day will come when she probably has to use it...hope for the best but prepare for the worst and roll on...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

Yellowtail, I know exactly what is wrong, and there is no cure. Why can’t you be like the other posters and answer what is asked rather than some sort of cynical reply.

I'm sorry, my reply was not meant to be cynical, it was meant to be helpful. 

2 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

Surely you also hear of people that were as fit as a fiddle yesterday and suddenly given how many days they have left completely out of the blue, and no I’m not a deaths door yet and simply want to enjoy whatever time I have left which might hopefully be in years rather than months. 

Yes, but not many, and I did not understand that to be your situation. 

I was in a wheel chair for a year and on crutches for another two, why would you be embarrassed? Do you think people (not at the airport!) would think you were faking? 

I don't know what your financial situation is, or where you live, but Thailand seems like a pretty good place to be in a wheelchair to me, particularly if you have wife to push you around.

Assuming you're not skint, don't buy a sh*t-grade wheelchair.  Buy something lightweight and decent. 

5 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

Yellowtail, I know exactly what is wrong, and there is no cure. Why can’t you be like the other posters and answer what is asked rather than some sort of cynical reply. Surely you also hear of people that were as fit as a fiddle yesterday and suddenly given how many days they have left completely out of the blue, and no I’m not a deaths door yet and simply want to enjoy whatever time I have left which might hopefully be in years rather than months. 

I got a similar problem but not with breathing, I had 2 broken ankles and now I got a phobia walking stairs and using an escalator, I have no problems walking at supermarkets just walking steps I get scared even just 1 step 

• Like 1

Yellowtail, apology fully accepted. As to why I might be embarrassed about being in a wheelchair was what my original post was about, how did you feel when suddenly you cannot get about easily and need someone to push you and indeed some replies were that that some feel that way, and yes we’re all different and have different reactions to sudden different personal situations. And I know we shouldn’t have any stigmas about it but some do and I’ve yet to experience it. The wheelchair is under serious consideration and I do want a  quality one. Today I managed to walk around our local Robinsons relatively easy for an hour or so but yesterday I was wheezing just watching the telly, every day is different. 

• Like 2

Quote from OP.

"a feeling of embarrassment even humiliation from being someone not so long ago could climb a mountain if needed to to now having to be pushed around to go anywhere at all. "

Sorry quote function didn't work from OP.

I am in the same situation as you currently, after many surgeries with complications. Already researched all types of wheelchair. I don't have any to push me, so electric chair of some kind for me.

Don't know where you live, but here in Pattaya there are so many wheelchair users, everywhere, and one is a friend of mine.

Observed another man outdoors daily, who might have COPD, and wear a oxygen mask, with his 'walker'.

My friend in electric wheelchair never felt uncomfortable in any way. Thai people are very helful to him, and he don't feel stared at, or judged by others. He is out and around daily, and often make new friends.

For myself, that I might never be able to walk even very short distance again without severe pain, is what bother me the most. 2 years ago I exercised more than 60 km weekly - now less than 0.5 km. Weekly.

Take notes where it's easy to access wherever you like to go, to avoid huge frustrations, if wheelchair become a part of life forward.

@poppysdad,

please stay strong, you are not alone.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, poppysdad said:

Yellowtail, I know exactly what is wrong, and there is no cure. Why can’t you be like the other posters and answer what is asked rather than some sort of cynical reply. Surely you also hear of people that were as fit as a fiddle yesterday and suddenly given how many days they have left completely out of the blue, and no I’m not a deaths door yet and simply want to enjoy whatever time I have left which might hopefully be in years rather than months. 

The doctor told you there is no cure?

Have you tried alternative medicine? Acupuncture? TCM? Homeopathy?

Even if you don't believe in any of it, might be worth a bit of time and money to experiment since the conventional doctors have shut you out. 

On 3/5/2023 at 7:30 PM, save the frogs said:

The doctor told you there is no cure?

Have you tried alternative medicine? Acupuncture? TCM? Homeopathy?

Even if you don't believe in any of it, might be worth a bit of time and money to experiment since the conventional doctors have shut you out. 

Without any information on the cause/diagnosis it is pointless to give advice about treatment, and OP has made it clear he is nto interested in discussing this but only in discussing the ins and outs of wheelchair use in Thailand.

OP I have had experience having long term visitors who were wheelchair bound. It is not as easy as it is in the west, especially in terms of trying to go anywhere on a sidewalk (sic) but it is certainly possible and with time one learns the tricks.

Most places have handicapped parking places. Sometimes coned off, you have to lean on the horn  and wait for someone to remove or else driver get out and do it. Some hotels and resorts are handicap friendly and most booking platforms let you select that as a filter.

Some malls/supermarkets have motorized carts for use by people who are w/c bound.

As to people's reactions, all over the map ranging from very kind and considerate to rude. Take it as a sign of what kind of person they are.  You will on the whole encounter more kindness than unkindness but it will run the gamut.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As to people's reactions, all over the map ranging from very kind and considerate to rude. Take it as a sign of what kind of person they are.  You will on the whole encounter more kindness than unkindness but it will run the gamut.

I don't think I was being rude. I was just offering a suggestion.

India, which is not too far from Thailand, has Ayurvedic practitioners.

If I was in a similar position to OP, I might take a trip there.

Without knowing much about Ayurvedic medicine in India, I wonder how many treatments expats in Thailand could go there for and pay less than private hospital care in Thailand?

But I guess I'm ruffling a lot of feathers here.

I'm guessing you are personally offended because you have a background in conventional medicine and you don't appreciate it when people suggest that conventional medicine has limitations.

Edited by save the frogs

On 3/5/2023 at 5:59 PM, still kicking said:

I got a similar problem but not with breathing, I had 2 broken ankles and now I got a phobia walking stairs and using an escalator, I have no problems walking at supermarkets just walking steps I get scared even just 1 step 

I hate steps, stairs are not too much of a problem because of the hand rail. I try to avoid steps whenever possible or ask the person I'm with to hold my hand to help me balance.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/5/2023 at 5:35 PM, Yellowtail said:

If I were someone that "...not so long ago could climb a mountain..." and now I was unable to leave the house due to shortness of breath I would see a doctor and try to figure out what's wrong. 

I am 78.

If you see a doctor you get maybe 10 minutes with him but if you can get to your pc you can check out some of the possible causes for hours, and save them in your own time.

On 3/5/2023 at 6:13 PM, poppysdad said:

Yellowtail, apology fully accepted. As to why I might be embarrassed about being in a wheelchair was what my original post was about, how did you feel when suddenly you cannot get about easily and need someone to push you and indeed some replies were that that some feel that way, and yes we’re all different and have different reactions to sudden different personal situations. And I know we shouldn’t have any stigmas about it but some do and I’ve yet to experience it. The wheelchair is under serious consideration and I do want a  quality one. Today I managed to walk around our local Robinsons relatively easy for an hour or so but yesterday I was wheezing just watching the telly, every day is different. 

Several reasons why people have a shortness of breath.

1   They drink too much. I have one alcoholic drink on NYE a year as I quit drinking about 3 years ago.

2   Low blood pressure, which is what I have. About a month ago I went up to the kitchen some 25 metres away and sat for a couple of minutes.

I must have stood up too quickly and blacked out. The postman found me and called my neighbour, (my wife was elsewhere), who in turn called an ambulance which took me to hospital where I woke up next day without a clue as to where I was, or what had happened.

I was kept in for 3 days and my wife was there all the time (I think). I was sleeping about 20 hours a day.

I can still shuffle/walk around the house but apart from one trip to the hospital I have not been out of the house for about 3 weeks.

This week I shall be buying a zimmer frame from Lazada and I hope that helps my daily shuffle.

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i4188229717-s16476050367.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.3c146108Eks0nJ&urlFlag=true

I have the urge to sit outside in the sun sometimes. 

I can keep my balance to get to the toilet and have a shower and also shuffle around the house but it is hard work at times.

Fortunately I am lucky to have a wonderful wife who feeds me and changes my Pampers when I needed them, but I am back to normal underwear and shorts now.

I have great sympathy for all the posters here who are affected as I now now what they are going through.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

On 3/5/2023 at 6:13 PM, poppysdad said:

I live in rural Thailand about 65 km from the main state hospital. There is a BigC, Makro and Robinsons all with disabled parking (assuming some self entitled ahole has not parked there), but only Robinsons have a wheelchair as well.

Makro is OK as it is all one ground floor, To get to BigC I would need to go in the cargo lift, but Robinsons has proper lifts to the first floor.

Edited by billd766

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

I live in rural Thailand about 65 km from the main state hospital. There is a BigC, Makro and Robinsons all with disabled parking (assuming some self entitled ahole has not parked there), but only Robinsons have a wheelchair as well.

Did you mean to say Robinson's had a wheelchair ramp? 

Makro is OK as it is all one ground floor, To get to BigC I would need to go in the cargo lift, but Robinsons has proper lifts to the first floor.

So you're able to get most everywhere, yes? 

And the OP has someone to push/help him which makes a lot of difference.  

I lived in rural Thailand for over twenty years, nice people. 

Edited by Yellowtail
ww
  • Like 1

I am 78.

If you see a doctor you get maybe 10 minutes with him but if you can get to your pc you can check out some of the possible causes for hours, and save them in your own time.

Several reasons why people have a shortness of breath.

1   They drink too much. I have one alcoholic drink on NYE a year as I quit drinking about 3 years ago.

2   Low blood pressure, which is what I have. About a month ago I went up to the kitchen some 25 metres away and sat for a couple of minutes.

I must have stood up too quickly and blacked out. The postman found me and called my neighbour, (my wife was elsewhere), who in turn called an ambulance which took me to hospital where I woke up next day without a clue as to where I was, or what had happened.

I was kept in for 3 days and my wife was there all the time (I think). I was sleeping about 20 hours a day.

I can still shuffle/walk around the house but apart from one trip to the hospital I have not been out of the house for about 3 weeks.

This week I shall be buying a zimmer frame from Lazada and I hope that helps my daily shuffle.

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i4188229717-s16476050367.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.3c146108Eks0nJ&urlFlag=true

I have the urge to sit outside in the sun sometimes. 

I can keep my balance to get to the toilet and have a shower and also shuffle around the house but it is hard work at times.

Fortunately I am lucky to have a wonderful wife who feeds me and changes my Pampers when I needed them, but I am back to normal underwear and shorts now.

I have great sympathy for all the posters here who are affected as I now now what they are going through.

About 8 years ago, I bought a rollator through lazada and it still works fine.  The advantages to a rollator is that unlike a walker, it has a seat where you can sit if you get too tired when walking with it. 

There are many choices with low to high price.  The one I bought, link below, was a more expensive kind but had the features I wanted - higher weight capacity for sitting, large wheels for using outside, and lockable hand brakes.  It was worth the price as it has held up well - it also folds to a more compact size for transporting. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/0-10-wheelchair-rollator-circlife-2-in-1-alp3300-1-bcosmo-the-pharmacy-i173724234-s217577069.html?clickTrackInfo=query%3Arollator%3Bnid%3A173724234%3Bsrc%3ALazadaMainSrp%3Brn%3A77327aed2e477d53a9f98a21c888952a%3Bregion%3Ath%3Bsku%3AAL676HBABMNLVVANTH%3Bprice%3A11190%3Bclient%3Adesktop%3Bsupplier_id%3A100049194%3Basc_category_id%3A4794%3Bitem_id%3A173724234%3Bsku_id%3A217577069%3Bshop_id%3A5737&fastshipping=0&freeshipping=1&fs_ab=1&fuse_fs=1&lang=th&location=กรุงเทพมหานคร&price=1.119E 4&priceCompare=&ratingscore=3.0&request_id=77327aed2e477d53a9f98a21c888952a&review=1&sale=12&search=1&source=search&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.i120.2f452c9a4n4ghC&stock=1

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1