White lion cub found roaming around Pattaya, tracked to Chinese owner

snoop1130

Screenshot-1-768x439.jpg

PHOTO: Thai Rath

A Chinese man in Pattaya has sparked concern among neighbours after allowing his pet lion cub to roam freely within his residential area. According to a Pattaya New report, the police and wildlife officials visited the man’s home in the Banglamung district and found a white lion cub. The Chinese national, named as 39 year old Shen Tai, has confirmed the cub is his.

Shen produced legal documents to show that he had purchased the lion cub from a Thai man who owns a white lion farm in the eastern province of Chachoengsao. The paperwork shows the Chinese man paid 50,000 baht for the lion cub.

However, Shen could not produce the licence required to raise a lion. Officials have set a deadline by which he must obtain the permit from the Office of Conservation Area 2 within an undisclosed timeframe.

Dr. Pairot Promwatt, a veterinarian who was with officials when they visited the cub’s owner, says white lions are wild animals considered dangerous and in the “control” category. Owners are required to hold a permit in order to own such an animal and the animal must be registered with the correct authority.

It is currently legal to have a white lion as a pet in Thailand, provided the paperwork is in order, according to Dr Pairot. The vet added that the lion should be confined to a restricted area so it doesn’t pose a risk to people.

For now, Shen has been allowed to keep his pet, provided he obtains the correct permit. Officials have pledged to follow up with him.

Source: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/white-lion-cub-found-roaming-around-pattaya-tracked-to-chinese-owner/

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2023-03-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 6
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Wonder how his neighbours feel reading this. Right now its a cub (kitten). What will happen when it's fully grown and on the prowl? It might help with any soi dog problem though.

Only if the Soi dogs stray into the property or, the lion in time learns how to vault the fences.

12 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Wonder how his neighbours feel reading this. Right now its a cub (kitten). What will happen when it's fully grown and on the prowl? It might help with any soi dog problem though.

There you go, every cloud has a silver lining.......!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Only if the Soi dogs stray into the property or, the lion in time learns how to vault the fences.

Why do you think that there are stray dogs here. This Lion is in a house in a private gated village of over 100 houses. There are zero stray dogs, all the dogs are on a leash when they walk with their owners. I live in this village and I assure you we are all concerned about what will happen when this animal gets bigger. The property walls are not high enough and their is only a small cage. The owner is an irresponsible Mafia type guy who has only got the animal to make himself in his opinion look good. Only yesterday it was running around the grounds freely playing with some woman as I walked past with my dog. Its not going to end well. The lady in an adjoining property is terrified as her husband is returning to the UK for a few months work on Sunday. This needs sorting now.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kevin Taylor said:

It's a crazy story man. Even more so that you live in the area and have seen this lion cub. I can't really get my head around it. The original story said he bought it from a white lion breeder in the North somewhere. How is that even a thing ? All the moral and safety issues aside its the most interesting story I have read on this forum in a long time. 

I first see it last week when a neighbour across the road invited me come and see the Iion. As the village is on a hillsde the back walls are about 3 feet smaller on his side. You can look directly over into the property and see the Lion. It was just lying there free, no chain anything. You have to understand this is a modern development and there are walls around the properties. You can see into everyones garden unless trees or plants block the view.

• Haha 1