Gender equality still ‘300 years away’, says UN secretary general

onthedarkside

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm not sure if you are trying to be facetious, but it's not really the topic for jokes.

Pretty much every country in the world acknowledges the rights of an unborn child. The only area of contention is at what stage of pregnancy those rights come into force.

In a way, thought not as you intended abortion does exemplify discrimination against women. Not in developed nations like the USA, which you are clearly obsessed with, but in countries like India and China where female fetuses are aborted disproportionately. But this is a reflection of the inferior status of women in these countries.

• Like 1

Feminists have long argued that the shortest route to equalizing women’s rights is to get men on board to support their cause.

Out of the blue help comes from the almost insignificant transgender population, the aversion to which being so strong in some men as to get them on board with women’s rights.

Now all that’s needed is to translate the faux outrage over an imagined transgender man legally beating up a woman in a boxing ring into fighting the actua endemic violence against women and girls perpetrated globally by men who don’t wear frocks.

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Since I am still undecided on many issues surrounding the subject, it would be very difficult for you to know where I stand. ???? 

Would you support removing a foetus/unborn child a couple of days before labour started and killing it? To protect the rights of the mother?

I'm not the one who used the phrase "unborn child" instead of fetus. That's a dead giveaway.

As for late term abortions, if the fetus is healthy, no. But most late term abortions are done either because there is a threat to the health of the mother or the fetus isn't viable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here's a few more exceptions:

Ultra running

Jasmin Paris finished the 268-mile Montane Spine Race, along the Pennine Way, Scotland in January 2019 in 83 hours and 12 minutes, breaking the record by 12 hours. And she was pumping breast milk for her baby all the while. The leading man finished in 98 hours.

Ultra-cycling

in July 2019 Fiona Kolbinger beat 200 men in the Transcontinental Race, cycling the 4,000 kilometres across Europe. She finished in 10 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes, leading the race from day 3, putting in 15-17 hours of cycling each day. The male runner-up, Ben Davies, finished 10 hours later.

https://allthingslists.com/sports-that-women-beat-men/

I'm talking top level sport. Not local novelty races.

The fastest man to ever run a marathon is 13 minutes faster than the fastest woman. If they competed together, the top woman would probably finish 50th.

No more medals for women. But I guess you're fine with that. 

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

The fastest man to ever run a marathon is 13 minutes faster than the fastest woman. If they competed together, the top woman would probably finish 50th.

That would be equality in sports.

Division when it suits you defeats the claim of wanting equality.

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Since I am still undecided on many issues surrounding the subject, it would be very difficult for you to know where I stand. ???? 

Would you support removing a foetus/unborn child a couple of days before labour started and killing it? To protect the rights of the mother?

Hyperbole.

Removing a foetus/child within days before labour and killing it would be murder.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

I'm not the one who used the phrase "unborn child" instead of fetus. That's a dead giveaway.

As for late term abortions, if the fetus is healthy, no. But most late term abortions are done either because there is a threat to the health of the mother or the fetus isn't viable.

It's not a giveway at all. You choose to call it a fetus because you wish to downplay the rights that are afforded it in most civilized countries around the world. 

It appears the only thing we might disagree on, is the number of weeks from conception before the rights of the unborn child are recognized. This is actually one of the issues I am torn on. 

I'm not talking medical issues of the mother or unborn child. I'm talking about a mother who decides to terminate an 8 month old unborn child because she has 100% rights over "her body". If you can't answer the question (or are ashamed to admit yoiur viewpoint) then just admit it. Don't change the question to something you CAN answer.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That would be equality in sports.

Division when it suits you defeats the claim of wanting equality.

Equality in sports is women and men receiving equal prize money and recognition. 

Not competing against each other. 

You don't get much more top level in beating a man than running a 268-mile race, along the Pennine Way in Scotland in 83 hours and 12 minutes, breaking the record by 12 hours. And she was pumping breast milk for her baby all the while. The leading man finished in 98 hours.

No more medals for women? Why is that, where did I say they have equal footing in all sports? 

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Hyperbole.

Removing a foetus/child within days before labour and killing it would be murder.

So you recognize the rights of the unborn child. I am relieved. Progress.

Now we only have to agree on the number of weeks before it receives those rights. 

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I say it again, I (a man) have competed scores of times against women in cycle races, open national events, not novelty races.

Prizes get awarded by gender and competitor classification.

It happens all the time, it’s common place.

Putting assure some stiff the Russians and East Europeans were up to decades ago, transgender participation in sport is a relatively new occurrence.

The sports ruling bodies need to update their rules and regulations accordingly, it’ll happen.

Then we can all park our angst and get back to the stuff that really matters.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

You don't get much more top level in beating a man than running a 268-mile race, along the Pennine Way in Scotland in 83 hours and 12 minutes, breaking the record by 12 hours. And she was pumping breast milk for her baby all the while. The leading man finished in 98 hours.

No more medals for women? Why is that, where did I say they have equal footing in all sports? 

It's a great achievement. But it's not top level sport like the Olympics.

Go check out the winning Olympic race times for men and women in 100, 200, 800, 1500, 5000 metre races. Marathons. 

The distance jumped in long and high jump by men and women. 

The weights lifted in weightlifting.

Then tell me how they can compete. They wouldn't win a medal. Your argument is farcical. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So you recognize the rights of the unborn child. I am relieved. Progress.

Now we only have to agree on the number of weeks before it receives those rights. 

No, I recognize what the law has to say about killing children.

And I recognize anti choice propaganda when I see it, even if it is repeated by someone who claims to be undecided on the matter.

From the OP link:

"Guterres did not name other specific countries, but he stressed that “in many places, women’s sexual and reproductive rights are being rolled back [and] in some countries girls going to school risk kidnapping and assault”.

Case in point just published:

Five women denied abortion care in Texas sue state over bans

The women were refused abortions despite carrying nonviable pregnancies that posed major risks to their health.

Five women denied abortions in Texas, along with two doctors, have sued the state after they were refused abortion care despite suffering severe complications with their pregnancies.

None of the plaintiffs’ fetuses had a chance of survival. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/07/texas-abortion-women-lawsuit-ban

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

It's a great achievement. But it's not top level sport like the Olympics.

Go check out the winning Olympic race times for men and women in 100, 200, 800, 1500, 5000 metre races. Marathons. 

The distance jumped in long and high jump by men and women. 

The weights lifted in weightlifting.

Then tell me how they can compete. They wouldn't win a medal. Your argument is farcical. 

Did you miss in my post.

"where did I say they have equal footing in all sports?"

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Since already way off topic, before it gets deleted.   Since nothing is viable before about 24 weeks, that would probably be the baseline for discussion.

Not a bad baseline to start with.

I am not sure why it would be deleted, since posters have claimed that this restricts the rights of women over their own bodies it seems perfectly relevant to me.

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Equality in sports is women and men receiving equal prize money and recognition. 

Not competing against each other. 

Who ever brings in the money, gets the bigger prize money.   Economics 101

Want to earn more, produce more.  Simple enough.

Like male rapists in women's prisons?

Well yes, that got sorted.

On the matter of rapists. 

The men suffering body dysmorphia that women need to be really concerned about are not guys in frocks, but body builders.

But welcome on board to concern over the obscenity of rape that millions of women globally suffer.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Did you miss in my post.

The point is that biological men competing against biological women is not fair.

If you check out those Olympic winning race times between the 2 categories, you would see what I mean and stop quoting some novelty amateur race that nobody has ever heard of that some lactating woman won once. 

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Who ever brings in the money, gets the bigger prize money.   Economics 101

Want to earn more, produce more.  Simple enough.

Why do you think men's sport brings in more money?

Not a bad baseline to start with...I am not sure why it would be deleted, since posters have claimed that this restricts the rights of women over their own bodies it seems perfectly relevant to me.

Because it's way off topic.  I think, but since behind a paywall, may be incorrect.

Sit corrected, not behind a paywall ... so on topic, and will be never ending discussion.

Peace Out

21 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's not a giveway at all. You choose to call it a fetus because you wish to downplay the rights that are afforded it in most civilized countries around the world. 

It appears the only thing we might disagree on, is the number of weeks from conception before the rights of the unborn child are recognized. This is actually one of the issues I am torn on. 

I'm not talking medical issues of the mother or unborn child. I'm talking about a mother who decides to terminate an 8 month old unborn child because she has 100% rights over "her body". If you can't answer the question (or are ashamed to admit yoiur viewpoint) then just admit it. Don't change the question to something you CAN answer.

You seem to be operating on automatic pilot. What did you think this sentence of mine actually meant?

"As for late term abortions, if the fetus is healthy, no.

But, as usual, you focus on something that's extremely rare, if even existent.

But the issue is discrimination against women. And even if you call a foetus an "unborn women" is abortion inherently discriminatory against female fetuses. In developed nations like the USA, not. But it is a problem in countries like India and China where women are 2nd class citizens. Unlike transgenderism, this disparity is reflective of the huge discrimination women are victims of in most of the world.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

The point is that biological men competing against biological women is not fair.

If you check out those Olympic winning race times between the 2 categories, you would see what I mean and stop quoting some novelty amateur race that nobody has ever heard of that some lactating woman won once. 

That's not true, many sports women can compete on an equal footing, follow the link I posted earlier. 

In the Olympics for just one more example equestrian sports are mixed gender and Charlotte Dujardin won 3 golds in the Tokyo Olympics

The point you keep repeating is one that I made in my first post:

Edited by Bkk Brian

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yeah, it's a giveway. In most of what you call the "civilized world" the medical profession calls it a fetus. Calling it an "unborn child" is the term used by antiabortion groups. So your use of the term, in contrast to the most commonly used one, is a dead giveaway.

Why do you think it doesn't ?

Advertiser spend where it will be watched, fine example;

men's basketball ... vs ... women's basketball

USA football vs USA soccer

Men's Golf vs Women's Golf

On a different level:

Action movies w/guns vs chicky love stories.

Can't pay the big money if you don't bring it in.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Not you're just trolling me.   Sound like a 5 yr old asking questions.  With ever answer comes another 'why?'

Obvious men's sports brings in more money.   Need proof:   who holds the remote control in your house. ?

Tokyo Olympics:

"Tokyo 2020 is hosting 18 mixed-gender events in  archery, athletics, badminton, equestrian, judo, sailing, shooting, swimming, table tennis, tennis and triathlon.

Additionally, four International Federations (IFs) have moved to gender-balanced events for the first time (canoe, rowing, shooting and weightlifting). 

With these events, Tokyo 2020 is demonstrating its commitment to innovation and to being the most gender-balanced Olympic Games in history."

https://olympics.com/ioc/news/mixed-gender-events-a-sign-of-innovation-and-greater-gender-diversity-at-tokyo-2020