'We're asking for help to bring our boy home to Manchester so he's not alone as he fights for his life'

webfact

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well i don't think @Yellowtail was 'virtue signaling'

But five kids at 32, probably a couple of baby mommas.

Now I have three children and I don't think I would ever have left my small kids regardless of my marital status travel half way across the world to 'follow my dreams' and end up on a moped at zero dark thirty.

There really is a thing about being a grown up and having responsibilities!

What do you want , a medal, or a saint-hood ?   There are probably millions of people  working and living away from their families, 

19 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

What do you want , a medal, or a saint-hood ?   There are probably millions of people  working and living away from their families, 

None of us deserve medals for just living up to our responsibilities, that just being an adult!

Kids need their parents, Mom and Dad.

If you ain't up to that I'd suggest looking up condom in the dictionary

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

I don't see the point in going over what this guy has done wrong....apart from stating the obvious and making some contributors very smug.

Can anyone give a reason for their criticisms other than gratuitous virtue signalling?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I don't see the point in going over what this guy has done wrong....apart from stating the obvious and making some contributors very smug.

Can anyone give a reason for their criticisms other than gratuitous virtue signalling?

Yes -- a statistical analysis of the results of wearing various categories of helmets during a motorcycle accident in UK versus Thailand is more apropos to the topic even though the guy involved in the unfortunate accident was not wearing a helmet.

49 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

But this  guy was not working...... he was 'chasing his dreams'...and 'away with his girlfriend', who I guess is not the mother of the kids left in Manchester. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

But this  guy was not working...... he was 'chasing his dreams'...and 'away with his girlfriend', who I guess is not the mother of the kids left in Manchester. 

You seem to believe everything that you read here, 

• Confused 1

On 3/13/2023 at 9:25 AM, Yellowtail said:

So everyone not wearing a helmet one night in jail and bike confiscated until the rider shows with a helmet to pick it up. 

Perfect! 

Good idea, maybe they'd learn eh?

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

I'm sure I've read that there is a bigger case for wearing the correct type of gloves, boots and leathers. Being 'degloved' to the extent that there isn't enough skin remaining to perform skin grafts is the biggest killer. 

The main chronic injuries in Thailand are to feet...... flip-flops just don't hack it as M/C footwear.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2023 at 5:54 AM, GinBoy2 said:

None of us deserve medals for just living up to our responsibilities, that just being an adult!

Kids need their parents, Mom and Dad.

If you ain't up to that I'd suggest looking up condom in the dictionary

Well how about your "responsibilities" to your fellow man....don't see much of that in your posts.

14 minutes ago, kwilco said:

The main chronic injuries in Thailand are to feet...... flip-flops just don't hack it as M/C footwear.

Absolutely spot on! My Thai niece riding a moto when aged 15 collided with a lamp post. She had to have her great toe plus a diagonal section of her foot amputated. People make fun of the way she walks. Not nice.

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

I'm sure I've read that there is a bigger case for wearing the correct type of gloves, boots and leathers. Being 'degloved' to the extent that there isn't enough skin remaining to perform skin grafts is the biggest killer. 

I Always Wore a Full face Helmet and Boots, for my Whole motor cycling life, even here, well for ANY Fast Riding. Maybe that is why I am still hear, with a Head, ... and 2 good feet.

But lately I have started Just going down the local shop ? a slow and very Un Crowded road only .... in Flop Flops and my Full face disappeared some time ago. ...

If you are going on a fast Road, or Busy Highway !!!!!! MOST definitely Boots and Helmut !!!  I only wore Gloves in the Cold ? But well we all are different. ... BOOTS ! and HELMETS, is just basic though as well What is the first thing that hits the Road if you come off ??? .. Your Feet !!! .... and then what more likely that not can kill you ??? Head Injurys.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kwilco said:

I don't think it is even reliably established whether he was wearing a hat or not?

It is in the OP, said by his family: 'His heartbroken family claims he was hit by a driver travelling at high speed while he was riding his motorbike with no helmet."

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

I Always Wore a Full face Helmet and Boots, for my Whole motor cycling life, even here, well for ANY Fast Riding. Maybe that is why I am still hear, with a Head, ... and 2 good feet.

But lately I have started Just going down the local shop ? a slow and very Un Crowded road only .... in Flop Flops and my Full face disappeared some time ago. ...

If you are going on a fast Road, or Busy Highway !!!!!! MOST definitely Boots and Helmut !!!  I only wore Gloves in the Cold ? But well we all are different. ... BOOTS ! and HELMETS, is just basic though as well What is the first thing that hits the Road if you come off ??? .. Your Feet !!! .... and then what more likely that not can kill you ??? Head Injurys.

Oh, I must add, that I always used a full face Helmut but with the Perspex Face Cover Removed !!! Like having CLEAR Vision, is just So SO important for Safe Bike Riding ... 

... To be able to see the road ahead ! Precisely, AND it's surface !!! Like where your tires are going to go !!! .... Like is it rough ? or is it smooth ? ... is there any Gravel there ? (And +++ on that one) ... is there any Rubber ground in to it ? ... or spilt fuel or Oil ??? ... All really crucial factors when you are riding on two wheels, and especially if at Speed. 

Like Good Clear Vision is just about the Start I think ! ... and then Good Clear THINKING about how you are going to handle it !!! ... probably the second most Important. and then the eternal Escape Direction and Plan, for if something goes wrong, ... A plan that you always should have on a Bike also.

... And well full faces with the Visor down, get hot, and well stuffy. ?...  Like easy to go to sleep in side them at Night, like my Brother In Law did, after working all day !!!  ... Crossed the road, and drove straight in to the front of a parked Truck at full speed !!! ... Results nee, just totally amazing ! and Fast out of it Chartwork to save his Life !!!  ... (Which he lost later on ... Probably because of regular drinking of the Caffeine Mix while working long hours on a Building site. ... and his wife quietly confirmed this to me, as she thought that also.)

... Yes wear a full face, ... But take the Perspex Face mask off. ... A sun Visor is OK up the top, ... as it deflect the wind, ... but the Face mask is only a hindrance to your safety I think. ??? ... Personally and well 67 Rode a bike for Years !!! and still alive. ... ( Only got hit in the face with stuff a couple of times also, as Really You can see it coming Really, so Duck !!! or just turn your head !!!  )

20 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is in the OP, said by his family: 'His heartbroken family claims he was hit by a driver travelling at high speed while he was riding his motorbike with no helmet."

As I said there is no reliable information... there is no reason to suppose they know any more than you do.

Edited by kwilco
Spelling

1 hour ago, Mark mark said:

Most accidents happen within 5 km from home.

The length of your journey has nothing to do with it and even speed is only a part of it.

You can come off a stationary bike and die.

You just can't imagine the possibilities and of course that's when crashes happen.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Oh, I must add, that I always used a full face Helmut but with the Perspex Face Cover Removed !!! Like having CLEAR Vision, is just So SO important for Safe Bike Riding ... 

... To be able to see the road ahead ! Precisely, AND it's surface !!! Like where your tires are going to go !!! .... Like is it rough ? or is it smooth ? ... is there any Gravel there ? (And +++ on that one) ... is there any Rubber ground in to it ? ... or spilt fuel or Oil ??? ... All really crucial factors when you are riding on two wheels, and especially if at Speed. 

Like Good Clear Vision is just about the Start I think ! ... and then Good Clear THINKING about how you are going to handle it !!! ... probably the second most Important. and then the eternal Escape Direction and Plan, for if something goes wrong, ... A plan that you always should have on a Bike also.

... And well full faces with the Visor down, get hot, and well stuffy. ?...  Like easy to go to sleep in side them at Night, like my Brother In Law did, after working all day !!!  ... Crossed the road, and drove straight in to the front of a parked Truck at full speed !!! ... Results nee, just totally amazing ! and Fast out of it Chartwork to save his Life !!!  ... (Which he lost later on ... Probably because of regular drinking of the Caffeine Mix while working long hours on a Building site. ... and his wife quietly confirmed this to me, as she thought that also.)

... Yes wear a full face, ... But take the Perspex Face mask off. ... A sun Visor is OK up the top, ... as it deflect the wind, ... but the Face mask is only a hindrance to your safety I think. ??? ... Personally and well 67 Rode a bike for Years !!! and still alive. ... ( Only got hit in the face with stuff a couple of times also, as Really You can see it coming Really, so Duck !!! or just turn your head !!!  )

Sounds like you have little experience of well ventilated hot weather helmets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

Well find a better set then... or are you better placed to put forward a theory?

What you quoted: "Studies estimate that wearing a helmet reduces the risk of dying in a crash by 37 to 42%; and. Unhelmeted riders are 3 times more likely than helmeted ones to sustain traumatic brain injuries in the event of a crash." 

Someone else made a similar claim, posted a link to the "study" and it said nothing of the sort. 

For every accident with a serious injury, there are 100 with little or no injury. 

And is this supposed to be data from Thailand or the US or what? 

8 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Sounds like you have little experience of well ventilated hot weather helmets.

Well Yes, No I do not. ...  I should try one in my Next Life !  Though well If I get a Good little Yamie 360 4 stroke in this one, ... maybe I will try one then also. ... Well for sure I will. Can you surges any ? (Just the basic Good but simple ones) (I had a Shoe I think before the top one ? back then like 45 years ago now !!!) or is that against Site rules ? ...

Thanks, though well The Perspex still gets scratched, and well it IS just a hassle, if you do REALY Like REAL, Direct vision of the Road ahead of you ??? .... I think.

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

They could have received information from the police through the embassy.

You seem to have a very elementary approach to this... in fact somewhat naive.

Firstly the family are the last people to look objectively at this and have already made unfounded allegations about the pickup.

Then you cite that they might be citing the police, another notoriously unreliable source of information too. Have you read the crash report? I'd suggest no, because there probably isn't one.

In fact just about everything on this incident is assumption speculation and conjecture....not to mention little bit of spin.

• Like 1